The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Sunday's shave:

Razor: Merkur 34C w/Polsilver SI
Brush: Maggard synthetic
Shaving Cream: AoS Peppermint

A no-frills shave this morning before leaving for church. Just two passes for a rock-solid DFS. The AoS Peppermint seems to be a Sunday staple. I seem to have fallen into Randall's "AoS Sunday". But I gotta admit, the AoS Peppermint is a scent that I totally dig! Love it!

BTW, the city is celebrating our Atlanta United winning the MLS championship!!! What a game. I didn't have a chance to be a part of the 70,019 fans that were there, but certainly watched it on TV. Awesome!

Nice shave Chris! Would you qualify the AOS peppermint as a holiday type scent? Looking to pick one up and I’ve been keeping a list of potentials.

Nice shave Chris! Would you qualify the AOS peppermint as a holiday type scent? Looking to pick one up and I’ve been keeping a list of potentials.
I suppose so, if you consider peppermint to be "holiday". The AoS peppermint is just that - pure peppermint - like a candy cane.
1f44d.png

Monday's shave:

Every time I use the Colgate Cup soap, I'm amazed at how slick it is. My goodness, this is just some downright awesome soap! I did 3 passes with the Merkur 34 (w/Polsilver SI) for a rock-solid BBS. Can't ask for anything better than that.

Got a new brush - the Simpson CH2 synthetic. I didn't realize how many Amazon points I had accrued, and saw the CH2 synth available, so used some points. Now, I had actually tried one before, a year or two ago (I lose track of time) courtesy of our pal Derek; he had loaned me his to test drive, and I liked it. So thought I'd go ahead and just get one for myself. Well, I think the one I test drove must have been one of the early batches of CH2 synths because it was nicer than this new one. I've heard that Simpson made some changes to the knot (and I'm not talking about the loft issue that's been discussed with this brush before). The knot now doesn't seem as dense, nor as soft tipped as the early ones; it's got more "presence". But it still gets the job done quite well. It's actually an amazing face lathering brush, I have to admit. But it's not my favorite synth - no way. And truth be told, I wouldn't pay full retail for it at all (and glad I didn't) - but that's just me.

Finished off with several "glugs" of Swiss Pitralon, and I'm good to go!

Nice stuff Chris. Can't wait to try the Colgate from KJ's pif but need to empty one of my mugs first..................sorry the brush wasn't what you expected

That is a shame since the earlier editions of the brush is a true delight. So what are you gonna do with it?

Bummer about the brush Chris.

It's a little late, but I saw GA Tech got the coach from Temple for football. There will likely be some growing pains in difference in football styles, but it will be nice seeing the Yellow Jackets getting back to a more traditional style of football.

Nice stuff Chris. Can't wait to try the Colgate from KJ's pif but need to empty one of my mugs first..................sorry the brush wasn't what you expected
Nice read Chris.
Bummer on the brush, certainly looks nice though.
Bummer the brush wasn’t what you were expecting, but it still sounds like a solid brush compared to some others.
Great shave otherwise!
Thanks, Gents. No worries on that brush - still gets the job done.

....It's a little late, but I saw GA Tech got the coach from Temple for football. There will likely be some growing pains in difference in football styles, but it will be nice seeing the Yellow Jackets getting back to a more traditional style of football.
I'm pretty stoked about the new GT head coach hire.
1f44d.png

SR Shave #652:

I decided to take the Hayashi Diamond 1000 back to the stones. I've been trying to get this edge right where I want it for a while now, but thus far, it hasn't quite gotten "there". So last night, I took it to the little Les Lat coticule, then finished on the Dan's Whetstone Black Arkansas.

Result: Grade A

Yes, I finally have gotten "there" with this razor! Had a nice 2-passer earlier this morning for a very comfortable DFS. I was going to cull this razor from the herd, but I think I may hang on to it for a few more shaves....or not. We'll see.

Tabac got the nod for this cold morning - excellent. And the brush was a Boreal boar. This has turned out to be an excellent brush! It shed like crazy for about the first dozen test lathers, but has completely stopped now. This brush is a keeper for me, not only due to it being a fine performer, but also because it was a gift of sorts. One of my last orders from shoeboxshaveshop had this brush "thrown in" as a little bonus. I really enjoyed dealing with shoeboxshaveshop's late owner, Gary. As I've mentioned before, he was here in the metro Atlanta area, and I'd actually go and pick stuff up in person and visit for a spell. He was a great guy.

Anyway, it'll be back to the grindstone tomorrow. Ugh!

Back