The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

....Interesting patterning on that blade. Is the steel actually striated like that throughout?
It's the lighting that's causing that. Although, the grind lines are somewhat discernable.

Do you buy the Hoyt’s locally or online? I’ve always wanted to try it.
I've only seen it online. I always got it from shoeboxshaveshop. And I sent you a sample of it. It must have gotten lost in all those vintage Williams soaps you have.
1f60e.png

Glad you salvaged the shave. Shame on the trouble getting the edge right. Beautiful razor
Thanks, Dave.

That has to be frustrating. Is that 198 stainless? My understanding is stainless edge is much harder to edge to find but once you have it is is there much longer.

And if completely talking out of my butt, disregard anything I just said.

Oof - I appreciate your dedication to the honing craft and keeping at it. I realized I am a lazy man and can't get myself to get into honing. Originally I thought I would love it but it is time consuming work and sometimes my patience is thin. Plus the wife gives me a funny look when I disappear an hours at a time working on something wet shaving related in the bathroom.

That has to be frustrating. Is that 198 stainless?....
\nNo, it\'s actually carbon steel. That 198 is a number out of the series of these customs (I think there were 200 made).\n\n
Oof - I appreciate your dedication to the honing craft and keeping at it. I realized I am a lazy man and can\'t get myself to get into honing. Originally I thought I would love it but it is time consuming work and sometimes my patience is thin....
\nYeh, my patience is thin too.

Wednesday's shave:

Did everyone know that Mike's Natural Soaps are now available in stick? I didn't, until just last week. So I had to order one, of course, and I used it today:

I totally dig the scent of Mike's "Barbershop" - totally! It's by far my favorite "barbershop" style scented soap. The performance in stick version is the same as the puck, which is elite for me.

The Rudy Vey Manchurian did a marvelous job whipping up an outstanding lather. BTW, if anyone is looking to add another badger brush to their den, Rudy's Manchurian knot is most excellent!

The Edwin Jagger w/Astra SP gave me a BBS(-) after 3 passes. I can't say that I'm diggin' this razor. It's good, but doesn't "wow" me.

Post shave was Mike's Barbershop aftershave. The scent is a close match to the soap's. But the consistency is a bit thick. It's a splash, no doubt, but next time I'm going to "cut it" with some Fine Snake Bite to make it a little more "splashy".

Finished up with GTB EdP. Oh yeh!

Good barbershop shave today! At least the razor doesn’t underperform, even if it isn’t “wow”. ?

Great write up.

I can totally relate to a it’s good but does not Wow me. But we are shaving here and you getting BBS. It is doing its job.
Kind of like a Honda Accord. Does its job and probably one of the best most reliable cars I have owned but never got a ride out of it.

Great write up. \n\nI can totally relate to a it’s good but does not Wow me. But we are shaving here and you getting BBS. It is doing its job. \nKind of like a Honda Accord. Does its job and probably one of the best most reliable cars I have owned but never got a ride out of it.
\nI agree with everything you just said.
1f60e.png

Thursday's shave:

Well, it's been long enough, so time for the "IN...JEC...TOR"!

Had a wonderful shave this morning, in spite of only a DFS result. The Paladin PK47 whipped up a fantastic Wholly Kaw lather, and the Injector, while good, needs a fresh blade. I'm only DFS after 3 passes. Truth be told, I'm not a fan of these Ted Paella blades - I don't find them to be very sharp. So last night, I ordered some Schick injector blades to see if there's much difference. But still an enjoyable shave, don't get me wrong.

The soap: I've used this Chypre Rose Concerto several times and I totally dig it. The scent is phenomenal, and one of my favorite rose scented soaps - although it's not a singular rose, but a complex scent with a rose dominate note. But I do have a question regarding a texture change of late. I've noticed that this particular tub, as well as my tub of Wild West Shaving Co. Private Reserve No. 2, have developed a granular texture to them, not unlike sand. It doesn't alter the performance of the soap, but the sandy quality is something that is a bit of a nuisance. Any idea why that happens with some soaps?

Anyway, post shave was some Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel + Fine Snake Bite. Then finished off with Penhaligon's The Hammam Bouquet EdT. An excellent start to the day.

Nice read today. The sandy consistency that you are are talking about has me curious. I will check my WWSC soaps and report back. Not sure why that would happen though.

Jectah! You, Rich, KJ, and Doug have inspired me. Going to have to try and find one post holidays.

Nice read today. The sandy consistency that you are are talking about has me curious. I will check my WWSC soaps and report back. Not sure why that would happen though.
I'll be interested to hear what you found out.

Jectah! You, Rich, KJ, and Doug have inspired me. Going to have to try and find one post holidays.
Yes, I think everyone should have an injector in their arsenal. Although, finding the model that works best for you is the challenge, as some are aggressive, and others not nearly as much.

The superfats in the soap can easily become grainy. Kokum butter and shea butter are particularly prone to becoming grainy like that.

I wouldn't worry about it one little bit. They should smooth into a nice lather. I'd just be happy that the soapmaker bothered to put those goodies in there.

That is weird about the granular texture. And Fisher of Kings above has taught me something new! I tried an Injector once and it didn't jive. But that was years ago and I might have to try to revisit!

Back