The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Just catching up Chris. Nice shaves! Bummer about not being home for Thanksgiving, but like NurseDave said, I'd give up Turkey day to have Christmas off every time!

Nice brut shave! Sorry you won't be home for Thanksgiving. I'm sure they'll save you some turkey leftovers
Thanks, Chad. And unfortunately for me, this is the first year ever that I've never had any turkey on Thanksgiving Day. Total bummer.

....Is there a crack around the middle of your brush?
No crack in this handle. It's horn, so just natural color striation.

Sorry to hear you can’t be home for Thanksgiving. Great shave though! Safe travels!
Nice shave Chris. Safe travels !!
Thanks, Chris and Dave.

I always enjoyed mama bear soaps, too, although it has been a few years since I used them....
Roger that, Randall. I need to start working the MB soaps that I have into the rotation more often.

Nice Shave Chris! It's a bummer about work again...but you will be in our thoughts this Thanksgiving!
Just catching up Chris. Nice shaves! Bummer about not being home for Thanksgiving, but like NurseDave said, I'd give up Turkey day to have Christmas off every time!
Thanks, Gents.

SR Shave #649:

Back in town. Here was the set-up for "Rivalry Saturday":

I totally dig the scent of DRH Marlborough! The performance of the soap, however, is just "adequate". The DRH cream is much better, IMHO. Sometimes I do a super-lather with them. This dreary weather day was perfect for the Marlborough scent - love it.

While I was on the road, the two soaps (samples) that I used were:

Mystic Water "Coconut Lime Verbena": Yes, please! A wonderful scent that will be perfect for summer time!

Wholly Kaw "Padre Leone": A pleasant scent, with elite status performance. But the scent doesn't wow me enough to make it "puck worthy".

Sunday's shave:

Razor: Merkur 34 w/Perma Sharp
Shaving Cream: AoS Peppermint
Aftershave: Kiehl's aftershave balm

A quick shave this morning before Church. I didn't even use a shaving brush, and the AoS Peppermint worked like a champ for a one-passer. No complaints.

Since I'm back from Divine Liturgy, I decided to go with some Guerlain Heritage EdT. Not a bad frag for fall temps; although I'm still undecided on this particular Guerlain offering.

Now, my daughter and I are heading downtown to take in the Atlanta United playoff match against New York.

Go "Five Stripes"!!!

Thanks, Gents. The game was awesome! 70,000 fans going crazy meant lots of energy. And the 5 Stripes won 3-0!
1f44d.png

70,000 people?!? I didnt realize soccer was that popular in Atlanta. I’ll have to let my sister know. She played growing up and all throughout high school. She just moved to Atlanta a little over a year ago.

Thanks, Don and Steve. And yes, Atlanta has really embraced this soccer team. It's only the 2nd year of the franchise however, but so far, so good. I'd insert a short vid clip of the crowd, but not sure how to do it on this website.

Monday's shave:

You know how we all have our own unique ways of "rating" the quality of our shaves? Well, this one was off-the-charts-AWESOME! If I were to rate this morning's shave, I'd have to draw a comparison to how the cycling world classifies mountain stages. The most difficult one is "above category" or "beyond categorization" ("hors categorie" is the actual french term). This morning's shave was beyond categorization, not because it was difficult (quite the contrary), but because it was so perfect and beyond any rating classification I could imagine. And it starts with the soap! This one....

My goodness, how I dig this soap! If this were my only shaving soap, I'd be perfectly content. This was one that Chris L had sent me prior to him starting his line of soaps for sale, and to me, it's his crowning achievement. I use this one sparingly because I want it to last. I'm not sure if this is the same exact one that is now being offered for sale as, "Black Rose Oud", but I'm hoping it is. Holy smokes is this stuff dynamite. The performance is "elite" status all the way, and on Chad's scale, it rates a Tier 1/Box 1 for me. The scent is what truly shines with this one. As everyone who's known me for a while knows, I definitely dig rose scented shaving soaps, and this may just be my A#1 favorite. It's not simply a single-note rose bud scent (which I happen to like, BTW), but "deeper" and more complex. I'll leave it to the experts to fully explain the scent, but suffice to say, it's phenomenal. And on the SOS scale, this garners a solid 3/5, trending towards 4/5. Love it!

Finished up with some Paladin unscented balm infused with something else that CBL had sent me. It's a sample of Kashan Rose essential oil (I think it's EO). Yes, yes, and yes - perfect!

(Razor: Edwin Jagger w/Astra SP; Brush: "Nate Special" w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic)

Hey I used the exact same soap today! Same tub and everything. It sure is a great Rose scent! Sounds like we were on the same wavelength.

Hey I used the exact same soap today! Same tub and everything. It sure is a great Rose scent! Sounds like we were on the same wavelength.
Roger that, Chad. So this soap is the same as the commercial, "Black Rose Oud"?

Tuesday's shave:

I decided to go with another CBL soap today - this time, it was....

This is the second shave I've had using this particular scent, and I must say that I totally dig it! The scent might just be the most unique in the den - love it! The Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest whipped up an excellent lather; and the Merkur Progress (w/Persona Red) gave me a wonderful, 2-pass DFS(+). Finished up with several "glugs" of vintage Avon Spicy aftershave. An exellent pairing! Later on, I may give a Vasili or two of Creed Bois du Portugal EdP. An excellent start to the day!

Great stuff! Carnation is going to get a lot of use from me when the weather warms a bit.

Back