The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Nice shave Chris. I've neglected a MW sample you had sent me but will rectify that soon and have 2 scents of there's in mind for a purchase soon.
1f44d.png

Which 2?

Thursday's shave:

Tried a new soap today.....

Oh yeah! We have another winner from CBL! My goodness, the scent of this soap is flat-out-AWESOME! I...totally...dig...it!!! And I mean, totally! And the performance? Fuggetaboutit! Elite status all the way for me. The Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest whipped up an outstanding lather, and 3 passes later, I was left with a wonderful BBS (This Super Speed that Josh PIF'd me a while ago really worked well with an Astra SP blade).

The cooling effect is interesting. It's not a strong menthol kick, actually quite mild at first. But it does have cooling that increases, as folk have mentioned before, as time goes on. It never reaches an uncomfortable level at all, but rather stops at a very pleasant, refreshing level. It's very nice!

One thing that I stood out for me with this particular soap was the post shave face feel. In retrospect, I could have skipped the aftershave, it made the ole mug feel nice as it was. But I went with some Fine Platinum anyway. Truth-be-told, the Platinum scent clashed just a bit with the soap. Next time, I'll let the lingering Pineapple stick around more and just go with some Fine Snake Bite, if anything. But the Creed Aventus, however, was an excellent final touch! Yes sir, walkin' tall now.

Excellent shave and set up, Chris! Pretty much all the CBL soaps are as high up on the list as it gets.

Walking tall is nice. Already ordered Leather and Smoke as it sounds like it squarely lands in my wheelhouse and also Raspberry Lemon
I'll be interested to hear your impression of the Leather & Smoke.

Excellent shave and set up, Chris! Pretty much all the CBL soaps are as high up on the list as it gets.
Thanks, Eric; and right you are....BTW, I was up in your home state all day yesterday - Traverse City, to be exact. I had not been there before. Even though it was cold, it wasn't too cold. I rather enjoyed the town. I see now how it's a popular tourist destination in the summer.

Thanks, Eric; and right you are....BTW, I was up in your home state all day yesterday - Traverse City, to be exact. I had not been there before. Even though it was cold, it wasn't too cold. I rather enjoyed the town. I see now how it's a popular tourist destination in the summer.
My uncle has a cottage about 20 miles from Traverse City. I used to spend my summers up there befor I moved away for college. It’s awesome up there.

Honestly I get exactly what it says. Leather and a slight smokiness but mostly leather. Nothing else really. I like it off the tub and appreciate that her scents seem to describe exactly what you get.

I haven't been to Traverse City in years. It's a great place.

My uncle has a cottage about 20 miles from Traverse City. I used to spend my summers up there befor I moved away for college. It’s awesome up there.
Very nice!

Honestly I get exactly what it says. Leather and a slight tobacco but mostly leather. Nothing else really. I like it off the tub and appreciate that her scents seem to describe exactly what you get.
Roger that.

I haven't been to Traverse City in years. It's a great place.
1f44d.png

Well, I've fallen a bit behind with the journals. Here's a quick recap from the past few days:

I know that I used Mystic Water "Lime" (sample) when I was on the road. The sample's SOS was barely detectable; about a 0.5/5, but seemed nice.

Sunday was AoS Peppermint shaving cream. I really dig that shaving cream.

And today (Monday) was this:

Razor/Blade: Edwin Jagger w/Astra SP
Brush: Rudy Vey w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic
Soap: Vintage Colgate Cup Soap
After: Penhaligon's Sartorial

This is a new razor for me, and I like it quite a bit. It's on the mild side, but gets the job done very comfortably. This set up really worked well for me today - no complaints whatsoever.
1f44d.png

Wednesday's shave:

I'm about to head out to work, so a quick entry. Unfortunately for me, this will be the third Thanksgiving in a row that I'll be on the road - bums me out. Sigh. At least I was able to get Christmas Day off next month.

Anyway, had a stellar shave this morning. An all Brut set-up today (well, Brut scented). Mama Bear's "Brute" soap is one that I really dig. It smells like the real deal to me, and it's an excellent performer. Yes, glycerin soaps work very, very well for me! Personally, I think that glycerin soaps get a bum rap - I have no trouble getting an ultra-slick lather from Mama Bear soaps, as well as Col Conk. As a matter of fact, this Mama Bear stick rates a solid Tier 1 performer; on Chad's scale, I give it Tier 1/Box 3. Had an uber-slick lather, generated by the Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top, for the new Edwin Jagger (w/Astra SP) to give a wonderful 2-pass, DFS(+).

Finished up with Brut a/s, then vintage Brut EdC. A good way to start the day.

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Nice brut shave! Sorry you won't be home for Thanksgiving. I'm sure they'll save you some turkey leftovers

I'd certainly trade having Christmas home for Thanksgiving.

Is there a crack around the middle of your brush?

I always enjoyed mama bear soaps, too, although it has been a few years since I used them.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Nice Shave Chris! It's a bummer about work again...but you will be in our thoughts this Thanksgiving!

Back