The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Excellent!

Haven't tried their EM yet!
Yet!

EDIT-Didn't go to the next page and see KJ beat me to it
1f602.png

Excellent as well.

Very nice Tabac shave, Chris.
Thanks, Eric.

Back in town, but just have Sunday off, and then back at it. A quick mention of the two soaps (samples) that I used whilst on the road....

Wholly Kaw "Project Leather": OMG, does this scent rock! My goodness, how I dig this one. It's fantastic! And a rock solid 4/5, if not 5/5 on the SOS scale. Here is the scent description from the WK website:

"The scent blend is made with refined notes of Leather Suede blended with Cardamom, sensuous Vanilla and Tobacco notes. Oud and Bourbon are added for substantivity."

Wow! I need to order a tub of this one! And Craig, if you're reading this, just go ahead and blind buy it - trust me!

LA Shaving Soap "Black Rose". Here is the scent description from the LASS website:

"....the subtle floral scent comes from rose absolute, combined with cedar, geranium, and a variety of other natural essential oils."

Well, on the SOS scale, this rates a lowly 1/5. The scent is only, "meh", for me. It's pleasant, what little I could actually discern, but not "puck worthy" for me in terms of scent. I definitely have a fondness for rose scented shaving soaps, but this one doesn't make the cut. Now, in terms of performance, it was actually quite good - Tier 1, in fact.

I'm not usually a big leather guy but the WK Project Leather seems to be an interesting one. Glad you made it home safe! And be safe on the upcoming work week!

I’m down with leather. That sounds like a winner.
Oh it's a winner alright!

I'm not usually a big leather guy but the WK Project Leather seems to be an interesting one. Glad you made it home safe! And be safe on the upcoming work week!
Thanks, Don.

Seconded!
You need to try it for sure.

I have a sample and like it but it seems so lightly scented to me..................may need to revisit it.
Really? Interesting. The sample that I got (from Maggard's) is nice and robust.

That Leather sounds good.

I also didn’t know Mickey rotated razors.
The WK Project Leather really is a winner....and I suppose Mickey has "too many" razors just like the rest of us! LOL

Sunday's shave:

It's been a busy, busy day. First off, I've been reading everyone's journals the past few days, but haven't had time to comment on all of them yet, but I will....

This morning's shave: It was very nice, albeit quick. Usually, when I'm going to be attending Divine Liturgy on Sunday morning, I'll shave late Saturday night in the interest of saving time in the morning. But I was plum tuckered out last night, and decided to get up early enough this morning to get a shave in. I've noticed that on the rare occasions that I've actually shaved on Sunday morning, it seems to be the same set up each time, and today was no different:

Razor: Merkur 34C
Brush: synthetic (this time, the EJ XL)
Shaving Cream: AoS Peppermint
Aftershave: Kiehl's aftershave balm

A two passer resulted in an ultra-comfortable, rock solid DFS. No complaints. I really dig the AoS Peppermint, BTW. And later in the day, I used some LIDG before going to an early dinner for my middle sister's birthday.

Oh, I did have a few items arrive in the mail while I was gone. I'll be using two of them tomorrow.
1f60e.png

Still using the AOS Peppermint I see. Those creams are definitely good performers. I just wish the price was more down to earth.

Nice entry Chris
Thanks, Dave.

Still using the AOS Peppermint I see. Those creams are definitely good performers. I just wish the price was more down to earth.
Yeh, I really like this AoS Peppermint. I have to say, that from a scent perspective, this is probably my favorite peppermint shaving cream/soap. And the performance is good too. I need to buy a full tub of this one, as the small tube is almost out. Too bad that Beehive chose not to make the peppermint, as that sample you sent me last year was/is dynamite!

SR Shave #643:

A traditional straight shave was called for this morning, so I decided on the Hayashi Diamond 1000.

Also, I needed to try a couple of items that arrived in the mail the other day: a jar of Paladin "Natchez Trace" shaving soap, and a bottle of Paladin unscented balm.

And what better brush to use with this soap? Yep, a Paladin. The PK47 to be specific.

Now, in all fairness, I have tried Natchez Trace once before. Xeno Dave had sent me some Paladin soap samples about a year ago (or so), and I definitely remember it. The scent is what is so nice about this particular soap - I totally dig it. It has to be the bay note. And truth be told, this smells practically the same as two other soaps I have: the WSP Formula T Tobacco, and the Wheat State Soaps Sweet Tobacco. Love 'em. Performance wise, I give the Paladin soap a Tier 1 rating. On Chad's scale, I give it a Tier 1/Box 3.

I did two passes with the H.Diamond 1000. The edge is smooth, but not quite sharp enough, so I grabbed the Merkur Progress for a third pass. I walked away with a very comfortable BBS.

The Paladin unscented aftershave balm is completely new to me. Oh, this is some great post shave stuff here! And it is totally, and I mean TOTALLY scent-free; perfect for any post frag of one's choosing. I'm going to be using Bleu de Chanel EdP before I head out the door in a couple of hours. I really like the BdC after this particular "green" tobacco soap scent. BTW, BdC EdP is one of my favorites. It's very versatile; it works for any season, anytime of day or night, for any occasion, for any type of dress (casual, business casual, semi-formal, formal). Awesome juice! But make sure it's the EdP, and NOT the EdT. There is a huge, huge difference between the two. Don't even waste your money on the EdT (just my opinion, of course).

Nice shave Chris. Natchez Trace was my 1st Paladin soap purchase simply based on it's name and reminded me of a 2 week solo bike ride I did that included the Trace. I do like the scent though too.

Nice shave Chris. Natchez Trace was my 1st Paladin soap purchase simply based on it's name and reminded me of a 2 week solo bike ride I did that included the Trace. I do like the scent though too.

Thanks, Dave. 2 week solo ride? Sounds interesting.

Tue & Wed road set-ups:

Tuesday: Proraso Red + Proraso Red aftershave. The soap is a Tier 2 performer for me, but gets the job done just fine. The scent is great; I dig it. And the a/s is great as well.

Wednesday: Stirling Spice + Old Spice aftershave (from India). My goodness, how I totally dig Stirling Spice! It’s my second favorite Stirling soap, and indeed, one of my favorite shaving soaps. I normally don’t make road posts because I can’t stand all this typing on the iPhone (takes me forever with all the spell correcting!) but am making an exception today. What an awesome scent - classic! Marvelous in every aspect! I’m engulfed in a cloud of Old Spice awesomeness!!

Back