The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Do NOT tell me Dunhill smells like grapes
LOL. Actually here's the scent description from the web:

Dunhill Icon by Alfred Dunhill is the perfect woody-aromatic cologne for the refined gentleman . A well-rounded citrus bouquet of fresh bergamot and neroli absolute set the stage for this classic aroma fougere. Spicy and aromatic black pepper crackle at the heart while lavender and cardamom smooth the experience into a rich memory. Smoky oud and leather base notes entice an aroma reminiscent of timeless luxury and grounded in the present through hints of fresh vetiver and oak moss.

I think, that for me, it's the combo of bergamot and neroli that make it smell like grapes to me. I know, it sounds crazy, but that's what I get - and I totally dig it!

Man, I love that Wacker! Dunhill Icon has been high on my list for a while, and I almost pulled the trigger on that and a bottle of Guerlain Heritage the other day. I'm glad I didn't since I wouldn't have been able to pick up what I did this morning, but they are both definite future purchases.
I had the Omega Mixed Midget. I wish I'd known that Maggards had a mixed knot. I would have added it to this morning's order lol.

The Dunhill Icon is quite versatile. But have you had a sample of the Guerlain Heritage? (If not, I can make you one). It's quite a bit more "restrictive", IMHO. If the bottle I have ever gets used up (LOL), I won't buy it again.

And, regarding Maggards: can you call them and have them add a knot to your order?

Matter of fact, I just ordered one myself - got the 26mm mixed.

The Dunhill Icon is quite versatile. But have you had a sample of the Guerlain Heritage? (If not, I can make you one). It's quite a bit more "restrictive", IMHO. If the bottle I have ever gets used up (LOL), I won't buy it again.

And, regarding Maggards: can you call them and have them add a knot to your order?

Matter of fact, I just ordered one myself - got the 26mm mixed.

I don't have a sample of Heritage, though I have smelled Icon. I probably could have called them and added a knot if I hadn't gotten a shipping notification before I saw your post on the mixed knot lol. First time Maggards flux capacitor shipping method has ever worked against me.
1f60b.png

Wow, Eric Loves your Wacker. Been gone for a few and the Forum get freaky, LOL Nice Dunhill Shave

Wednesday's shave:

Time for Tabac. Even though the temps haven't fallen off yet, it's overcast, so as good enough day as any to give it a go. This is actually the set-up that I had planned for Monday, but it was just way too hot, as yesterday proved to be as well.

I really took my time lathering this morning. Eric had noted a couple of days ago that he had decided to spend some extra time in the lathering department and that it had noticeably increased the performance of his soaps; so I decided to try that as well. Also, I wanted to see if the issue that Chad had recently with his puck of Tabac in underperformance, as well as a couple of times I recently used it where it wasn't quite as good as I remembered it being, were just anomalies. Thankfully, I did see where Chad's last use was actually back to the Tabac "standard".

I decided to use an Omega boar for this task, as boars brushes, and also horse hair brushes, seem to work best with Tabac (for me). Fortunately, I was rewarded with an excellent lather. I did 3 passes with the Merkur Progress (w/Gillette Rubie blade) for a nice BBS result. Typical Tabac slickness during the passes. However, when compared to the current crop of "elite" artisan soaps that I've been using of late, it does lack a bit in the residual slickness department, as well as in the post-shave moisturizing department. I suppose I've been spoiled. Tabac now gets bumped from my previous "elite" rating to a Tier 1 rating overall. On Chad's scale, I rate it Tier 1/Box 3. With that being said, it's still a wonderful soap, and I enjoy the scent, so it's a keeper, for sure.

The aftershave was Tabac, but mostly Fine Snake Bite. You see, as much as I like the scent of the Tabac shaving soap and EdC, the aftershave is one that I'm not very fond of. I took the bottle of aftershave and mixed it to about 30% Tabac, and 70% Snake Bite. That makes it quite nice for me. And then, just for good measure, I splash a few "glugs" of the EdC with the mix just for good measure. Then finish off with more EdC. Excellent.

Now I've got to get ready for work. Will be heading out in a couple of hours.

Great shave today and really nice picture. Tabac truly is special. I am glad that the couple of less than stellar performances I received were just anomalies.

Great shave today and really nice picture. Tabac truly is special. I am glad that the couple of less than stellar performances I received were just anomalies.
Thanks, Chad. And glad that it was "anomalies" only.

Chris...you do love your Fine Snake Bite! Great picture!
Thanks, Don. And I do tend to use Fine Snake Bite quite a bit.

nice read and pic Chris
Thanks, Dave.

Oh yes, already ordered!

Mice shave and pic!
Thanks, Tim.

Back