The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Good Stuff Chris glad you like it, and if anyone wants some or inquire about other scents PM me

I had time this morning to get to Merz Apothecary, and had a great time browsing, sampling, and visiting with Ramone. Walked out with the following:

Semogue SOC Taj Mustura mixed badger-boar brush

DRH Marlborough cologne

Tabac bath soap

Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg bath soap

WSP Formula T “Tobacco” shaving soap

D.R. Harris Marlborough is a great scent, the AS must be wonderful. The Tabac bath soap comes in a really cool hard shell container, I love it.

I recently bought a mixed badger/bore knot, it looks like a great knot. I look forward to your thoughts.

D.R. Harris Marlborough is a great scent, the AS must be wonderful. The Tabac bath soap comes in a really cool hard shell container, I love it.

I recently bought a mixed badger/bore knot, it looks like a great knot. I look forward to your thoughts.
I totally dig the DRH Marlborough scent! The aftershave is excellent, and the cologne is too......I've had a few bars of the Tabac bath soap before, but not with the cool container....And I'm looking forward to trying out the new brush.

Nice haul, and fantastic shave with the Dublin Tweed!
Thanks, Eric.

Tabac bath soap?!? Yum! Cool container too.
Oh yeh!

Nice Haul Chris
Thanks, Dave.

Back in town (Oy - what a crazy trip), and just a quick entry on the soaps I used whilst on the road.

Ogallala "Bay Rum": I've used this before, and totally dig the scent, but in terms of performance, it's basically a dog. Serviceable, and that's all I can say about it.

Mystic Water "Viola di Bosco": This particular scent offering is definitely NOT for me. Good grief, does this ever remind me of a baby's nursery in that it's got an overwhelmingly powdery scent. And it reminds me too much of lilac. This basically is the Veg without the "feline component". Nope, this one is definitely not for me.

WSP (Formula T) "Tobacco": While I was at Merz, I decided to add this soap. I actually used this scent as a sample a while back, and decided to go ahead and get the full tin. I totally dig it! Love, love, love this scent, and the performance is elite status. My goodness, how I dig this one. And BTW, it's not a pipe tobacco or cigar type scent. Here's the official scent description from the WSP website:

"Tobacco - It does NOT smell like cigarettes. This is a “green” tobacco scent. It’s a fresh & clean smell. It’s modern & upbeat. It works perfectly as an everyday scent to wear work, the bar, the golf club, etc.

Cured tobacco leaf & flower are the stars of this blend. We started with notes of cured tobacco for the base, and added top notes of bay leaf, and fir to create an intoxicating blend of tobacco and bay leaf. It just smells great; which is why it’s my second most popular scent behind barbershop."

Yep, that describes it perfectly! The bay note is wonderful! This scent is very similar to Wheat State Soaps "Sweet Tobacco".
1f44d.png

I have the Ogalalla Bay Rum and Sandalwood AS. I much agree with your assessment. Very nice, strong, long lasting scent, but it feels like that’s all you’re getting. Even Fine AS has more face feel to it.

I have the Ogalalla Bay Rum and Sandalwood AS. I much agree with your assessment. Very nice, strong, long lasting scent, but it feels like that’s all you’re getting. Even Fine AS has more face feel to it.
I just have the soap, not the aftershave. Although I did try the aftershave/cologne at a store once - seemed weak.

Wow Chris! Quite the gammit of soaps!
More soaps - oy!

Nice haul!
Thanks, Tim.

Nice overview of the soaps..............So really now, how do you feel about the the WSP Tobacco scent? : )
1f60e.png

That’s a great brush! If you haven’t used this type of knot before, give it a few shaves to break in and you will be rewarded.
1f60e.png
I'm already pleasantly surprised after just one use. Initial impression to follow....

Sunday's shave:

I decided to use the new Semogue SOC Taj Mistura mixed badger boar brush for the first time. OK, call me impressed. The tips on this brush are actually quite soft already! I had to check the bristles carefully to make sure that I didn't get a mis-labeled all badger knot by mistake, but there are actually split boar hairs, so this must be correct. Very dense knot, excellent backbone, doesn't splay much (probably due to the significant "glue bump"), soft tipped, and generates an outstanding lather. After just one use, this is a keeper brush! BTW, this brush also is available with a wood handle, but don't get that one - it's much too light. I got to compare both while at Merz.

Excellent shave from the Mike's Bay Rum and Merkur Progress. Just two passes for an ultra comfortable DFS. Finished up with Captain's Choice Co9 Tails. Excellent all the way around!

Going with the family to a pumpkin patch in a few minutes, and it's a beautiful day, albeit a bit warm. I'll get caught up with everyone soon.

The new brush looks great! My only experience with a mixed knot was only so-so, but I'll have to look into this one.

Back