The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

I really look forward to fall here. It gets way more comfortable outdoors. Also work gets a bunch more busy as that is peak harvest season for cotton, beans, and corn here. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Doc Holiday soap.

I'm definitely looking forward to fall as well.

And I've got the Doc Holiday sample packed up ready to use whilst on the road - got a 4 day trip starting tomorrow.

SR Shave #631:

This morning I decided to use one of the three, just received and new-to-me, Saint Charles Shave soaps: "Aspect".

From their website, the scent description is: "....fresh, green, masculine scent blend of citrus, bergamot, clove, coriander, nutmeg, and woods." Well, I don't detect any bergamot, per se, but it does have a citrus vibe going on. It's "fresh", and "green", and it's pleasant. I like the scent fine. Do I totally dig it? Well, I won't give it it the "dig it" green light, but it is acceptable. Although, I don't plan on ordering a replacement puck when this one is gone.

Performance-wise, it's top notch, as I've come to expect from SCS. The Tuxedo synth from one of Eric's dungeon projects whipped up a ridiculously slick lather. I'd put this one at the highest Tier 1. On Chad's scale, I rank it Tier 1, Box 2. The only thing keeping it out of the "elite" category is that the residual slickness and post shave moisturizing could be a tad bit better....perhaps. Still great stuff, though! As far as SCS shaving soap scents go, I still like the Bulgarian Rose and the Fairway the best, FWIW.

The Torrey did a fine job. I had given it a few laps on the La Dressante bout to smooth out the edge after my last use, and it did the trick. Three passes for DFS. It's not the sharpest edge, but it's sharp enough, and it's smooth, so no real complaints.

Finished off with a few "glugs" of Pinaud Clubman. Excellent!

I've only got today off, and then it's back out tomorrow afternoon for work. But I'll be taking along some good soaps to try.

Nice write-up Chris! I really enjoyed the scent and performance of Fairway! Finishing off with Clubman is also a great way to end a shave!

As far as SCS shaving soap scents go, I still like the Bulgarian Rose and the Fairway the best, FWIW.
There is nothing better than Fairway..... NOTHING!

I had been curious about Aspect. I always assumed by the name is was a cologne clone, and I try to steer clear of those.

SR Shave #631:

This morning I decided to use one of the three, just received and new-to-me, Saint Charles Shave soaps: "Aspect".

From their website, the scent description is: "....fresh, green, masculine scent blend of citrus, bergamot, clove, coriander, nutmeg, and woods." Well, I don't detect any bergamot, per se, but it does have a citrus vibe going on. It's "fresh", and "green", and it's pleasant. I like the scent fine. Do I totally dig it? Well, I won't give it it the "dig it" green light, but it is acceptable. Although, I don't plan on ordering a replacement puck when this one is gone.

Performance-wise, it's top notch, as I've come to expect from SCS. The Tuxedo synth from one of Eric's dungeon projects whipped up a ridiculously slick lather. I'd put this one at the highest Tier 1. On Chad's scale, I rank it Tier 1, Box 2. The only thing keeping it out of the "elite" category is that the residual slickness and post shave moisturizing could be a tad bit better....perhaps. Still great stuff, though! As far as SCS shaving soap scents go, I still like the Bulgarian Rose and the Fairway the best, FWIW.

The Torrey did a fine job. I had given it a few laps on the La Dressante bout to smooth out the edge after my last use, and it did the trick. Three passes for DFS. It's not the sharpest edge, but it's sharp enough, and it's smooth, so no real complaints.

Finished off with a few "glugs" of Pinaud Clubman. Excellent!

I've only got today off, and then it's back out tomorrow afternoon for work. But I'll be taking along some good soaps to try.

I really really wanted to like SCS soaps and Fairway is a stellar scent but sadly for some reason in the water at my house the lather on them just disappears. I mean like vanishes.

Nice write-up Chris! I really enjoyed the scent and performance of Fairway! Finishing off with Clubman is also a great way to end a shave!
Thanks, Josh. And roger that!

There is nothing better than Fairway..... NOTHING!

I had been curious about Aspect. I always assumed by the name is was a cologne clone, and I try to steer clear of those.
I totally dig the scent of Fairway, no doubt.....And regarding Apsect: yeh, I'd probably put it in the "cologne" type scent.

All caught up, again, Chris. Some great shaves along the way.
Thanks, Walt. I'm intrigued with your upcoming soap batch. Your first one was excellent!

Looking forward to hear about what you're taking with you.
Well, change of schedule, so not heading out for the weekend after all.

Great shave Chris and awesome pic! I like that you finished the shave off with a "glug!"
I'm glad that you coined that "glug" phrase because it really is descriptive with aftershave application.
1f60e.png

Friday's shave:

I was supposed to be heading out to work today, but I decided it best if I sit this one out. I had been battling a summer "nuisance" cold, but it kind of wore me out this last trip I did, as I developed a rather nasty cough. Went to the doc yesterday, and after listening to my chest, an x-ray was ordered. Found out today that at least it wasn't pneumonia, but still warranted meds.

The soap I used today was one that I had planned on taking with me......

Lisa's new "Doc Holliday" soap. TJ recently sent me a sample, so I put it to use this morning.

First off, the scent. I have to admit, I really like this one. Actually, I dig it. My only quibble with the scent is that I wish it were stronger. But in all honesty, it could be because my sniffer is definitely off right now. Be that as it may, I'd say a 2/5 on the SOS scale. But my goodness, I like it a lot. To me, this is a combination of three scents that are melded together in a fantastic way: lime, bubble gum, and anise. Yeh, it kinda reminds me of those. I love it!

Secondly, the performance. The AMACK4 "Sunrise" synthetic whipped up an excellent lather, and this is good soap. I'm only going to give an initial impression, because it's the first time I've used this new formula, and it's a sample. But all in all, after just one use, I'd put it mid Tier 1. On Chad's scale, I'd say Tier 1, Box 3. I don't really see a performance increase from the "premium" line of her soaps, but like I said, it's only one use. The slickness was pretty good, and residual slickness was present, but it wasn't at the elite level for me. I'll be able to formulate a better opinion tomorrow when I use the full tub of her Smoked Black Tea.

All in all, the Injector provided an excellent 2-passer for a rock solid, irritation-free, DFS.

Finished off with a few "glugs" of vintage Avon Island Lime and it was a perfect accompaniment to the soap - excellent! This Island Lime is definitely my favorite lime scented aftershave splash, hands down!

Many thanks, TJ, for your generosity with this soap!

Sorry to hear you’re feeling a bit down in health. Glad it’s nothing serious. I have to imagine with the line of work I recall you doing, the constant trips wreak havoc on your immune system and mental fortitude.

Friday's shave:

I was supposed to be heading out to work today, but I decided it best if I sit this one out. I had been battling a summer "nuisance" cold, but it kind of wore me out this last trip I did, as I developed a rather nasty cough. Went to the doc yesterday, and after listening to my chest, an x-ray was ordered. Found out today that at least it wasn't pneumonia, but still warranted meds.

The soap I used today was one that I had planned on taking with me......

Lisa's new "Doc Holliday" soap. TJ recently sent me a sample, so I put it to use this morning.

First off, the scent. I have to admit, I really like this one. Actually, I dig it. My only quibble with the scent is that I wish it were stronger. But in all honesty, it could be because my sniffer is definitely off right now. Be that as it may, I'd say a 2/5 on the SOS scale. But my goodness, I like it a lot. To me, this is a combination of three scents that are melded together in a fantastic way: lime, bubble gum, and anise. Yeh, it kinda reminds me of those. I love it!

Secondly, the performance. The AMACK4 "Sunrise" synthetic whipped up an excellent lather, and this is good soap. I'm only going to give an initial impression, because it's the first time I've used this new formula, and it's a sample. But all in all, after just one use, I'd put it mid Tier 1. On Chad's scale, I'd say Tier 1, Box 3. I don't really see a performance increase from the "premium" line of her soaps, but like I said, it's only one use. The slickness was pretty good, and residual slickness was present, but it wasn't at the elite level for me. I'll be able to formulate a better opinion tomorrow when I use the full tub of her Smoked Black Tea.

All in all, the Injector provided an excellent 2-passer for a rock solid, irritation-free, DFS.

Finished off with a few "glugs" of vintage Avon Island Lime and it was a perfect accompaniment to the soap - excellent! This Island Lime is definitely my favorite lime scented aftershave splash, hands down!

Many thanks, TJ, for your generosity with this soap!

I really like the scent also and you are very welcome.

Sorry to hear you’re feeling a bit down in health. Glad it’s nothing serious. I have to imagine with the line of work I recall you doing, the constant trips wreak havoc on your immune system and mental fortitude.
Thanks, Chris. And you are correct.

I really like the scent also and you are very welcome.
Roger that, TJ. And thanks again.

Nice shave and I know that car anywhere. Yummy stuff !!
Thanks, Dave.

Nice one Chris! Get better soon, hopefully the meds will be able to knock it out of your system with the quickness. Your initial impressions matched up with mine for the most part. The second lather was much better, however. Looking forward to seeing if your thoughts change after subsequent uses.

Nice one Chris! Get better soon, hopefully the meds will be able to knock it out of your system with the quickness. Your initial impressions matched up with mine for the most part. The second lather was much better, however. Looking forward to seeing if your thoughts change after subsequent uses.

Thanks, Josh.

Really sorry to hear that your sick Chris...I think as hard as you work and how your job taxes your body...I think some rest is in order. Hope you are feeling better soon!

I haven't tried my sample of Doc Holiday yet, but I have about five or six shaves with the Smoked Black Tea. My initial impressions were much like yours...but I was able to dial it in and my grading went up. I don't expect everyone to grade the same as me...but it's nice to see your initial impressions were a nice Tier 1.

And yeah...that Island Lime is some really good stuff!

Really sorry to hear that your sick Chris...I think as hard as you work and how your job taxes your body...I think some rest is in order. Hope you are feeling better soon!

I haven't tried my sample of Doc Holiday yet, but I have about five or six shaves with the Smoked Black Tea. My initial impressions were much like yours...but I was able to dial it in and my grading went up. I don't expect everyone to grade the same as me...but it's nice to see your initial impressions were a nice Tier 1.

And yeah...that Island Lime is some really good stuff!

Thanks, Don.....and roger all.

Back