The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Great shave, read, and picture Chris!

Didn't Col. Conk do a reformulation? Seems like I remember reading that a year or so ago.

Nice shots of the humming bird!

Yeah...I think most of the cadre has said it already...but a glycerin based soap is one that most of us start out with and end up pushing it to the side for an easier lathering soap or cream. Glad you got a great shave Chris.

And I absolutely LOVE! the hummingbird pics!

Great shave Chris! Congratulations on the stellar results!

Thanks, Chris.

....I’m using my iPhone X. It the only thing I use for anything on the forum....

Roger that. I use my iPhone X for my SOTD photos.

Great pics Chris!

Thanks, Tim.

I got caught up on 3 awesome shaves. I agree the Conk is under appreciated for sure. Seems like the Lisa's also provided a nice shave.

Thanks, Chad. And roger both.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I say, to hear you sing the praises of Colonel Conk.

But honestly, when I first started using shave soaps, my first ones were Mama Bear soaps. And I really enjoyed them. Over the years, though, I've been told that they don't work very well, that they're inferior, etc., etc.

And I've had so many tallow soaps that I was happy with, I didn't even think to possibly even consider going back to something like Mama Bear or any other melt-and-pour soap.

But I definitely have memories of some nice rich lathers (and they smelled great, too). Hmmm......I have a birthday coming up..........

You should give 'em another shot, Randall.

Hmmm, I may have to try Williams again now......GREAT pic as usual !

Thanks, Dave. And I've actually got Williams lined up for this week.

Great shave, read, and picture Chris!

Didn't Col. Conk do a reformulation? Seems like I remember reading that a year or so ago.

Nice shots of the humming bird!

Thanks, Craig. And Col. Conk added another soap line, their "Natural Product Line", in addition to their "Traditional Shaving Soap". The lime that I used was one of the traditional pucks. I need to try one of the "natural" pucks for comparison.

The Conk comes through!!!! Great shave with the Conk Lime and the Progress!

Thanks, Josh.

Yeah...I think most of the cadre has said it already...but a glycerin based soap is one that most of us start out with and end up pushing it to the side for an easier lathering soap or cream. Glad you got a great shave Chris.

And I absolutely LOVE! the hummingbird pics!

Roger that. And thanks, Don.

Monday's shave (Labor Day):

I decided to break out the Speick today:

And I used the Blue Tip Super Speed that Josh had PIF'd me, with a new Polsilver SI blade; as well as the Doug Korn D7 w/Ubersoft stynthetic.

Had a very nice, uneventful, 2-passer that resulted in an excellent DFS(+). Perfect for today.

I've had this Speick stick for a few years now, and the last time I used it was probably last September. It's a good soap, but hovers around the low Tier 1, high Tier 2 for me. On Chad's scale, I'll give it Tier 1, Box 4. I wish I still had the Speick cream, because the super-lather with the cream and the stick is excellent.

Finished off with a few "glugs" of Speick aftershave splash, then some Speick balm. A fresh start to the day!

Col conk? They have a newer version available don’t they? I recal Chad mentioning the conk doing well some time back.

Col conk? They have a newer version available don’t they? I recal Chad mentioning the conk doing well some time back.
I knew that had done something according to Chris:
chm737 said:
And Col. Conk added another soap line, their "Natural Product Line", in addition to their "Traditional Shaving Soap".

Yes they certainly do. They come in Blue Clam Shells not the clear ones. They are definitely better.

Tuesday's shave:

Awesome shave!! Simply awesome!!!

Merkur Progress w/Persona Red//Rudy Vey monster 32/64 Shavemac silvertip//CRSW Morning Ghost//Guerlain Vetiver

Wednesday's shave:

Since I had such a stellar shave yesterday with the Merkur Progress, I'm going to use it again tonight. This is a preview post because it'll be a late night shave due to an extremely early wake-up tomorrow morning.

In addition to the Progress, I'll be using one of my newest Saint Charles Shave soaps that I recently received, the "Smoke and Beads'; the "Eric Custom" brush w/Cashmere synthetic; and finishing off with Lucky Tiger after shave.

I've test lathered the soap already, and the scent is quite pleasant to me. According to the website, the scent is, "patchouli, sandalwood, sweet orange, and other citrus fruit". I did not detect any patchouli or sandalwood per se, mostly just the orange and citrus. I dig it! The Lucky Tiger will be a good pairing, I predict.

Back