The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

You mean you’ve never swam through a kelp forest, threw off your mask, and just took a big whiff?
1f61b.png

Thanks for the description, sounds interesting!

LOL. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a sample.

Great stuff Chris! Lonestar is one of the three that I have yet to try from Noble Otter. Your description has me highly intrigued, however!

Great stuff Chris! Lonestar is one of the three that I have yet to try from Noble Otter. Your description has me highly intrigued, however!
I did a review of it a while back. I found it to be in the same wheelhouse as GTB.

LOL. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a sample.

Thanks for the offer! I’ll politely pass this time around. I does sound interesting as a scent choice, but maybe not quite a scent I’d want to try.

I look forward to reading your impressions.

I did a review of it a while back. I found it to be in the same wheelhouse as GTB.

Hmmmm.

Thanks for the offer! I’ll politely pass this time around. I does sound interesting as a scent choice, but maybe not quite a scent I’d want to try.

No worries at all.

Nice shave and pic Chris. Great that the brush got soft so quick.

Thanks, Dave. This knot has pleasantly surprised me.

Good stuff Chris. Glad you liked Lonestar. I was begining to think that I was the only one who really liked it. And I think your scent description nailed it! That brush looks amazing...and a bonus that it is breaking in quicker than expected!

Nice shave.

Have you tried the Fatip Testina Gentile? It looks exactly like your Grande except that it is a safety bar instead of an open comb. It's a very efficient razor, though, and more aggressive than the name "Gentile" would make you think.

Good stuff Chris. Glad you liked Lonestar. I was begining to think that I was the only one who really liked it. And I think your scent description nailed it! That brush looks amazing...and a bonus that it is breaking in quicker than expected!

Thanks, Don. And I really liked the Lonestar. I'm a fan of floral scented soaps, so this was right in my wheelhouse.

Beautiful pic of that razor

Thanks, Dave.

Nice shave.

Have you tried the Fatip Testina Gentile? It looks exactly like your Grande except that it is a safety bar instead of an open comb. It's a very efficient razor, though, and more aggressive than the name "Gentile" would make you think.

Thanks, Randall. And I have not tried the Testina Gentile. This Grande is the only Fatip razor I've tried. But if the Gentile is "more aggressive" than the name would indicate, then I probably wouldn't care for it. With DE razors, I tend to favor the milder ones.

Sunday's shave:

Here was my set up from earlier this morning:

I actually got up earlier today than usual and had time to shave before going to Divine Liturgy. It was a very nice, comfortable 2-passer that left me with a rock solid DFS; perfect for today.

I really like Gillette Super Speeds, and this blue tip is no exception. Josh had PIF'd me this razor a while back (a complete surprise), and I'm grateful for his generosity, because I do enjoy how this treats my ole mug. It was high time I worked it back into the rotation, and it was excellent. Thanks again Josh!

The soap was one that I thought I had used before, but checking my list, I see that I had not. So "The Kraken" got the call. I know that Chad favors the "fresh linen" type scent profile, and I now see why he likes this one so much. It's definitely got that fresh linen vibe; or, as someone else recently said, it smells like Tide liquid detergent (and I don't see that as a bad thing). It's a pleasant scent, a bit on the subtle side at about a 2/5 on the SOS scale. The Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest whipped up a nice lather, although more of the meringue style vice yogurt style. It's a solid performer, and after just this initial use, I'd say Tier 1, Box 3 on Chad's scale. Not bad at all. But this type of scent profile isn't really in my wheelhouse, so it's not one that I would buy, only because it doesn't give me the "wow" factor. But if Mickey Lee had a scent that was in my wheelhouse, I could easily be persuaded to get a puck.

Finished up with Aqua Velva aftershave. The bottle is not original, of course. I had found it empty in a flea market/antique shop and thought it might be a good decant one day. And with the red cap, I figured blue aftershave would work, thus the AV. I never could determine what was originally in this bottle, as I couldn't decipher the name that's at the bottom. But as luck would have it, just the other day, KJ made a comment on the bottle from perusing the photo that I had up in the Testing: Photos and Posts section. Turns out that it was MacGregor. I had never heard of that one before, so many thanks, KJ!

Great stuff Chris, and as usual, phenomenal photo!

I really like Gillette Super Speeds, and this blue tip is no exception. Josh had PIF'd me this razor a while back (a complete surprise), and I'm grateful for his generosity, because I do enjoy how this treats my ole mug. It was high time I worked it back into the rotation, and it was excellent. Thanks again Josh!

My pleasure Sir!!

Monday's shave:

Something new to me, and something forgotten....

I finally broke down and ordered the one and only Mike's Natural Soaps scent that I had never tried before; the "Pine & Cedarwood". I had always held off on this one because I don't particularly care for straight up pine scent, and several reviewers had said that it reminded them of Pine Sol cleaner. But since I was ordering a full tub of the Mike's "Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-Ylang" (which is to die for, BTW!), I decided to throw caution to the wind and add the Pine & Cedarwood.

Oh, we have a winner here! My goodness, I totally dig it! The overall SOS is only about a 2/5, but that's perfect for this scent profile. The pine is there in a very pleasant way actually, but just when you start to get a "full" dose of it, boom! The cedarwood reels it back in. Josh recently coined the best way to describe this type of thing: "Keyser Soze"! Yes, that's it exactly! And BTW, the cedar scent is quite "mellow" and perfect for this; and BTW, it's not a strong cedar scent like in TdH.

Performance-wise, it's typical Mike's "elite" status for me. The Simpson Chubby 2 whipped up a steller lather. On Chad's scale, Elite/Box 1.

The something forgotten part of today's shave was the razor. While rummaging through one of my "shaving drawers", I discovered my Merkur Progress razor. Goodness, I thought I had unloaded this one a while back. Anyway, I decided to try it again, since it's been at least 4 years since I used it last. I loaded up a Persona Red blade, and gave it a whirl for three passes.

Result: Rock solid, ultra comfortable, no irritation whatsoever, BBS! Holy smokes, what a great shave! Needless to say, this razor is going back into the rotation!

Finished up with some Alcolado Glacial aftershave splash. An excellent start to the day!

Yahtzee!!! We have a winner here sir! Great shave today Chris, seems like everything in this shave took you by surprise in a good way, with the exception of the Chubby. Those are always good. LOL

Back