The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #632:

Alrighty....I finally used the Lisa's "Smoked Black Tea". I had been test lathering this with different brushes to see if one type might be "better" with this soap than another. And the answer is yes. I originally planned on using my ShaverJoe w/Muhle synthetic; this one:

But honestly, the synth wasn't the best choice. No question, the denser badgers whipped up the better lathers, and thus, I decided to go with the Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top; this one:

Yepper, much better. This brush whipped up an excellent lather! So what are my impressions now that I've tried the "Smoked Black Tea" from a full tub?

Scent: Alright, I'll cut right to the chase. This one is not in my wheelhouse. It's not that I dislike it; it's just that I don't care for it much, if that makes any sense. I don't get the combo of a smokey tea, to be honest. Very odd. But like I mentioned, I have done several test lathers, and now that I've gotten deeper into the soap, the smoke (which was faint anyway) has mostly vanished. So it's just like black tea leaves now. OK, black tea; kind of boring. I definitely like an Earl Grey Tea scented soap, but that's because I dig bergamot so much. Oh well, like I said, this one isn't bad, it's just not my thing. On the SOS scale, I give it a solid 2/5. BTW, I much preferred the "Doc Holiday" scented soap.

Performance: Very nice. It's plenty slick, and there was ample residual slickness. Post shave moisturizing was OK. All in all, this is a solid Tier 1 soap for me. On Chad's scale, I rank it Tier 1, Box 3. And in the FWIW department: I don't see any discernable difference between this newest formula and the previous, "premium" formula....at least with the water at my house.

Followed up with a few "glugs" of Osage Rub, then Sampson's unscented balm. Finished up with Bleu de Chanel EdP. I was actually going to go with GTB EdP, as it would have been an excellent match, but opted for the BdC instead. Still a good choice.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend.

Nice write up Chris. I was beginning to think that I was the only one in the cadre to like Doc Holiday glad someone joins me. I also enjoy the Smoked Black Tea but the Doc is where its at scent wise.

Nice write-up Chris...sounds like you had a similar experience with Smoked Black Tea to me, though I got much more of the cade than you apparently did. I think that had much more to do with it being the first lather on the tub.

Bummer you didn’t dig the scent! Glad you still pulled out a good shave though! Hope your holiday weekend is restful.

Nice write up Chris. I was beginning to think that I was the only one in the cadre to like Doc Holiday glad someone joins me. I also enjoy the Smoked Black Tea but the Doc is where its at scent wise.

Yepper, Doc is where it's at, for sure!

Nice write-up Chris...sounds like you had a similar experience with Smoked Black Tea to me, though I got much more of the cade than you apparently did. I think that had much more to do with it being the first lather on the tub.

If you do a bunch of test lathers and get more into the tub, perhaps the scent will change for you as well.

Bummer you didn’t dig the scent! Glad you still pulled out a good shave though! Hope your holiday weekend is restful.

Thanks, Chris. And no worries.
1f60e.png

This is interesting. I’ve never heard of a soap that changes scent as you work through it.

Catching up from being way, way, way, behind Chris!

1st of all I hope you are feeling better!

Great shaves, reads, and pictures!

I think I saw 2 uses of the LDIG, agreed it is a great scent! Pretty sure it was your praise of it at the other place that caused me to purchase it.

This is interesting. I’ve never heard of a soap that changes scent as you work through it.

I hadn't either. However, when I first got the Nuavia Blu, I was kind of on the fence about the scent due to it not being as strong as folks had said it was. But someone said that once I got more into the soap, it would become stronger. Sure enough. And I've noticed that some soaps seem to "evolve" the more use they get. Maybe I'm just crazy.
1f60e.png

Catching up from being way, way, way, behind Chris!

1st of all I hope you are feeling better!

Great shaves, reads, and pictures!

I think I saw 2 uses of the LDIG, agreed it is a great scent! Pretty sure it was your praise of it at the other place that caused me to purchase it.

Thanks, Craig. Feeling much better. And the LIDG is definitely awesome juice!

Sunday's shave:

I just had what could possibly be called the single greatest shave result I've ever had! Yep, no lie. Standard 3-passer that was a totally irritation-free, weeper-free, rock solid BBS(+). And it was with a DE, no less, and a soap that you won't believe. But a picture is worth a thousand words, right, so.......

Yes folks, I'm serious - Colonel Conk!!! I'm not kidding! I've had this puck in a drawer for several months, and I remember it being a good performer, but just haven't used it since.

Performance: I have no problem, zero, nada, zilch, getting a stellar lather out of this soap. I held the puck in my hand and palm lathered it with my ShaverJoe w/Muhle synthetic brush to a slick, voluminous, awesome lather. It was outstanding! Nice slickness, protection, stability, residual slickness, and adequate post shave moisturizing. I'm shocked actually. But this is easily a Tier 1 soap for me. On Chad's scale, I give it a Tier 1, Box 3.

Scent: It says lime, but what it really smells like (to me) is a lime Jolly Rancher. And I say that with a smile on my face. I totally dig this scent; it's what I call a "fun" scent. On the SOS scale, it gets a 3/5 initially, but drops down to a 2/5 by the end of the shave. I love it, though.

Commentary: I can't help but think that us "soap snobs" (and yes, that would be me) have either forgotten how well a glycerine soap can be, or have fallen prey to the naysayers that say it's substandard. But I'm hear to say that this one works for me, as do the Mama Bear shaving sticks that I have (Brute, and Dublin Tweed). I will also offer this, in that a synthetic brush works the best with these glycerine soaps, at least for me. And they also seem to work best by either hand lathering (like I did today), or with a stick and face lathering. But next time you're shopping for soaps, either on line, or in a store, throw a puck of Col. Conk in the basket and give it another try. Or try it for the first time if you've been one that has been leery of a glycerine soap in the past.

Razor: The Merkur Progress continues to impress me. I put a new Persona Red blade in, and like I said, BBS(+) result. Now I don't like aggressive razors, so I have this one dialed at only 1.5, and that seems to work perfectly fine for me. I'm quite happy about the result. I definitely plan to use it more often. As a matter of fact, I'm actually going to be using DE's and the Injector more and more going forward. I like using a straight razor for the enjoyment factor, but as I've said before, they don't give me the best consistent results.

Post shave: Finished off with a mix of Fine Snake Bite + Pinaud Citrus Musk. It's shaping up to be an excellent day!

I agree with your comments about the glycerine soaps. Often disregarded as inferior. That’s why I’ve always been a huge proponent of Honey Bee soaps, which are my favorite in that group, but I also love the VDH glycerine.

I’ll admit, I too have disregarded the Conk. I had the lime early on, and passed it early on for easier lathering soaps. I think as we evolve and our technique improves, we get to a point that we can get a decent lather from just about anything. And are therefore surprised when we revisit something that maybe we didn’t like in the past.

I always did like the scent of Conk Lime and really should pick up some again myself. Thanks for the post. And love the green theme you’ve got going on there!

Thanks, KJ.

....I think as we evolve and our technique improves, we get to a point that we can get a decent lather from just about anything. And are therefore surprised when we revisit something that maybe we didn’t like in the past....

Exactly! You've summed up what I was thinking in my head but just didn't get it transferred to the written page, so-to-speak. I totally agree with you on this, KJ.

And I need to re-visit Honey Bee soaps. I actually did have a puck of Honey Bee Gardenia when I first started in this hobby of ours. I recall that the scent was excellent!

Oh, BTW, on an unrelated shaving note.....I've enjoyed your nature pics. What camera are you using? I had my older Nikon out yesterday, and totally lucked into the following shots in my backyard. But the quality of the pics pale in comparison to your shots. But I was just glad to be able to get some:

I've enjoyed your nature pics. What camera are you using? ......... But the quality of the pics pale in comparison to your shots.

Uhhh, thank you.... I’m using my iPhone X. It the only thing I use for anything on the forum. Photos, videos, editing, posting, etc. I don’t have a computer unless I’m at work.

I got caught up on 3 awesome shaves. I agree the Conk is under appreciated for sure. Seems like the Lisa's also provided a nice shave.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I say, to hear you sing the praises of Colonel Conk.

But honestly, when I first started using shave soaps, my first ones were Mama Bear soaps. And I really enjoyed them. Over the years, though, I've been told that they don't work very well, that they're inferior, etc., etc.

And I've had so many tallow soaps that I was happy with, I didn't even think to possibly even consider going back to something like Mama Bear or any other melt-and-pour soap.

But I definitely have memories of some nice rich lathers (and they smelled great, too). Hmmm......I have a birthday coming up..........

I think as we evolve and our technique improves, we get to a point that we can get a decent lather from just about anything. And are therefore surprised when we revisit something that maybe we didn’t like in the past.

Hmmm, I may have to try Williams again now........................JUST KIDDING I also was a Lime Conk user early on and always got good lathers from it. I need to get some just for old times sake. GREAT pic as usual !

This makes me sad.
1f622.png
. I will make a video soon, that will hopefully give you a change of heart.
The kidding was for the snark. I still have 1 semi vintage left from 1980 when I first used a mug and brush. I just need to get to it when I find a way to cover after use. Soon !!

I've seen your Williams lather video before too
1f44d.png

The kidding was for the snark. I still have 1 semi vintage left from 1980 when I first used a mug and brush. I just need to get to it when I find a way to cover after use. Soon !!

I've seen your Williams lather video before too
1f44d.png
Vintage is amazing. I know many people have issues with modern. I did too at one point. But it really is good if you treat it right.

I did did make a couple videos before for the other site, but want to do one just for TSC.

Back