The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

1f632.png

I need to cull the heard one day. About a dozen of those, I don't use much, if at all anymore.

....Top spicy/peppery scent and top warm/spicy scent?

I'm not sure what you mean, but Creed Bois du Portugal, Creed Spice and Wood, and Old Spice fit that bill.

That’s a nice inventory.

Thanks, Tim.

Awesome set-up and shave Chris, and wonderful selection of frags to choose from there! The Creed Bois du Portugal is a amazing scent!

Thanks, Josh. And the Bois du Portugal really is amazing. However, I think it's best under the following conditions: cooler weather, evening, semi-formal to formal, and be at least 50 years old.
1f60e.png

[
I'm not sure what you mean, but Creed Bois du Portugal, Creed Spice and Wood, and Old Spice fit that bill.
Sorry, I mean what were your top choices in those two categories. I'll check out those two Creed scents.

And of course he has a lot of colognes. He's locked up in a cockpit with another dude (or dudette) that might not smell as nice. Need to keep the scales tipped to his scent.

I'm at least 50 yrs old at heart Chris...lol.

Good enough, Josh!

I guess you have a couple colognes.

Nice read Chris.

Thanks, Chad.

....Sorry, I mean what were your top choices in those two categories. I'll check out those two Creed scents.

And of course he has a lot of colognes. He's locked up in a cockpit with another dude (or dudette) that might not smell as nice. Need to keep the scales tipped to his scent.

Roger all, Dave.
1f60e.png

Thursday's shave:

Well, last night's dinner didn't happen. The long story short: my Mom got her signals crossed and didn't realize that she was supposed to come over and watch our daughter. I had been calling her all day, but never got an answer. Finally, I went over to her house last night, being worried where she might be, and turns out her phone wasn't working right. Fixed it. She's going to come over tonight, so my wife and I can go to the restaurant that we were planning on meeting our friends at last night. They went and had a marvelous dinner. We'll rain check with them soon.

Anyway.....today I decided to switch razors to a DE, the black handled super speed. I don't normally mention specifics about DE's, but this one is a model that I have for a reason. It's an I-1 code, which means first quarter of 1988. I wanted this model because I went into the army in January 1988. As a footnote piece of trivia, it's also the last year that the super speed was made.

Today was one of those rare "perfect" shaves in every aspect. This was the complete set up:

The super speed provided a fantastic 3-pass BBS. The soap was one that has quickly become one of my favorite scents, the Storybook Soapworks "Hallward's Dream". The brush was one of my Rudy Vey's with a Game Changer synthetic knot; it whipped up a marvelous lather. And the aftershave was the "Hallward's Dream". And I'll finish off later today with the LIDG.

A quick note about the aftershave. I had just put it on, and my wife walked by a few moments later. She actually stopped and inquired, "What did you just spray?" Uh oh, I thought, with trepidation. I said that I hadn't sprayed anything, just used this aftershave (I showed her the bottle). To my delight, she replied that she loved it! Then I said that I planned to use the LIDG before going to dinner, and she said, "Oh yeh, love it!".
1f44d.png

Storybook and A&E are my two favorite discoveries for this year. Looking forward to see what Storybook does next.

Great stuff Chris, and absolutely wonderful news that SWMBO has given full approval of Hallward's Dream!

Big wins all around! Enjoy your date this evening!

Thanks, Chris. And we did. The dining experience was fabulous!

Storybook and A&E are my two favorite discoveries for this year. Looking forward to see what Storybook does next.

Roger that, Dave. I wonder if they have any new scents in the works.

Momma's happy, Chris is happy

True dat!

Doing work for the Lady of the House I see! Good on ya!

Thanks, Chad.

Great stuff Chris, and absolutely wonderful news that SWMBO has given full approval of Hallward's Dream!

Always a bonus when SWMBO approves!

Friday's shave:

I decided to go with the super speed again. And went with some AoS Ocean Kelp shaving cream.

The Polsilver Si blade provided a nice, refreshing, comfortable 2-passer for DFS. Perfect for today.

The AoS Ocean Kelp is a nice scent, but quite subtle; it's only a 1/5 on the SOS scale. But then again, perhaps this a scent type that I am nose blind to. My wife had given this to me as a gift, so I'll use it up; but I wouldn't buy it again because the scent is too faint for me. But the performance is wonderful, as the Tuxedo synthetic whipped up an outstanding lather, and the AoS shaving creams leave my old mug feeling just fine.

Finished up with Floid Blue aftershave, and it's a good start to the day.

BTW, dinner last night was most excellent!

I have to thank you Chris for giving me that sample of Hallward's Dream...I love that scent too. I will likely pick up a full puck of it soon! Great shave!

Ocean kelp? I wasn’t aware of that scent? Is it actually a seaweed like smell? Or simply aquatic?

I have to thank you Chris for giving me that sample of Hallward's Dream...I love that scent too. I will likely pick up a full puck of it soon! Great shave!

My pleasure, Don. I totally dig the Hallward's Dream!

Ocean kelp? I wasn’t aware of that scent? Is it actually a seaweed like smell? Or simply aquatic?

I don't recall ever smelling seaweed in the ocean, so I can't really compare the shaving cream scent to that. However, I would definitely say that it is not an "aquatic" scent in a frag kind of way; in other words, it's not like an Aqua di Gio, or Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, etc. Here's what it reminds me of: if you've been to the beach with your kids, or if you remember this as a kid yourself, and you've sat on the sand making sand castles or digging, just out of reach of where the waves lap up, and then that stronger wave appears and washes away your digging, as it's ebbing out, it's that kind of scent. From a different perspective, I've also heard folk say that it sort of reminds them of the smell of a really good green tea. I can see that too. I like the scent, personally, I just wish it were a bit stronger; but perhaps this particular scent is best at the subtle level. It won't interfere with any post frag, and actually, come to think of it, it is sort of a "calming" type of scent. Goodness, maybe I'm liking it better than I initially thought!
1f60e.png

Saturday's shave:

A couple of new-to-me items for this morning's shave:

(1) Noble Otter "Lonestar" shaving soap
(2) The Golden Nib boar brush

OK, so the soap. This is the third Noble Otter soap that I've now tried. The first two (Barrbarr, and Noir et Vanille) were just "OK" in the scent department for me. But this Lonestar is definitely one that I'm on board with! I can see why Don really liked it. I dig it, for sure!! In a word, this is delightful. It is a wonderful, floral scent that really impresses me. It's not "in-your-face" floral, but more "graceful", if that makes any sense. On the SOS scale, I give it a solid 3/5, and it reminds me of spring, no doubt, especially the two times I was stationed at Fort Hood, TX. I always made a point, in the spring, when I was in Austin, to stop by the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. The Bluebonnets and the Indian Paintbrush especially, are stunning. Indeed, those two flowers really paint the landscape of the hill country when in season. This soap conjures up such images for me. I'll be picking up a tub of this soap when late winter hits for two reasons: first, to have it ready to go for spring; and secondly, during those long days of winter, this will provide a much needed pick-me-up out of the doldrums that winter offers at times.

Next, the brush. I decided to order a smaller boar knot from The Golden Nib, as well as an inexpensive handle. Once I set the knot, it specs out at 22/54. This is a fantastic brush! My goodness, I'd only done a couple of lathering break-in sessions prior to this shave, and now it's already soft tipped! Crazy! And it can generate some phenomenal lather something fierce! Yes please!

The shave itself was a simple, quick, and highly enjoyable 1-passer with the Fatip Grande (w/Polsilver SI). Riding the cap is definitely key to this razor. But truth-be-told, it's not really one that I favor much. But then again, I've only used it twice now, so perhaps I'll change my tune one day.

Finished up with AoS Lemon aftershave balm, then some Sampson's unscented balm. I was going to leave it at that, but later decided to add some AdP Colonia just for the fun of it. A nice start to the day.

I don't recall ever smelling seaweed in the ocean, so I can't really compare the shaving cream scent to that.

You mean you’ve never swam through a kelp forest, threw off your mask, and just took a big whiff? ?

Thanks for the description, sounds interesting!

Back