The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Saturday's shave:

Back in town, and here's the set up from this morning:

I decided to use a razor that I haven't used in quite a while. It's a Gillette Old Style (I think). The first, and only time, I've ever used this razor was when I was new to this hobby of ours, and certainly before I ever thought of trying a straight razor, or injector; it did not go well. Looking back on it, obviously I had way, way too steep an angle, and used too much pressure. I wish that I had heard the phrase, "ride the cap", before I first tried any open comb, as it totally makes sense now. Many thanks to whoever coined that phrase! But now that I've gotten better at using a traditional straight razor, and better at using open comb razors, I thought I'd give it another try.

I paid close attention, took my time, and did indeed "ride the cap". The result was a nice, two-pass, DFS. Not bad, but not a razor that I prefer. It's not too dissimilar to the feel of a traditional straight shave; sort of like using a straight that needs an edge refreshed, but with that being said, I'd just assume use the straight! So all in all, not too bad. One thing that would probably have made it a better experience would have been to use an "elite" soap, which I'll now address....

I opted to use the Chiseled Face/Zoologist "Panda" soap. The scent of this soap is flat-out-off-the-charts-AWESOME!!! It's dynamite, and without a doubt, the strongest scented soap I've ever used. On the SOS scale, this gets a rock solid 6/5. Yep, that's not a typo; it's that robust. But performance-wise, it's a low Tier 1, high Tier 2 soap for me with the water at my house. On Chad's scale, I give it a Tier 1, Box 4, and that's because the scent is so good. It's not the slickest soap for me, but it's perfectly fine to use with a DE (for me). The scent alone makes this "puck worthy"!

Finished up with some Sampson's unscented balm, and then the Panda EdP (sample that Dave had sent me a while ago). My goodness, the EdP is so strong that even one Vasili is actually too much - LOL. But I still dig it!

BTW, I forgot to mention the brush. I went with the Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band silvertip flat top. I mention this because I highly recommend this knot in flat top. It's fantastic! There is no scritch whatsoever with this knot. As a matter of fact, I've got another DO1, 2-band ordered (from Rudy) that will be in fan; I want to see how it compares to the flat top.

Oh, one other thing: the soaps (samples) I used whilst on the road....

Mystic Water "Leather and Smoke": I thought that I wasn't going to like the scent of this one at first, but once lathered, I was "drawn" to it. I actually dig it! There wasn't any discernible "smoke" to me, but perhaps that's because it's a sample, but I'm glad. I was going to order this in stick last night, but it's not available in stick right now. I like this scent on it's own just fine, but I think it would also be an excellent scent to super-lather with AoS sandalwood cream - I think that might be a good combo.

Wheat State Soaps "Spiced Orange": This is now the 7th Wheat States Soaps that I've used, and this one wasn't bad at all from a scent perspective. Kind of "woody" (not cedar), with some "dried" orange peel, if that makes sense. Not one that I'd run out and buy, but not bad either. Performance-wise, still highest Tier 1. Wheat State Soaps is the real deal, IMHO.

I hope to get caught up with everyone soon.

Good stuff Chris. Bummer the OLD is not quite what you like. Sounds like a lot of good soaps though! Enjoy the weekend!

Great to hear you're back home Chris! Nice shave to kick off shaving back in the home den, though sorry to hear that the OLD wasn't quite what you were hoping it would be. At least the scent of the soap made up for it in spades!

Interesting post. I liked my Old type when I had one and used it, but I'll also note that I no longer have one and no longer use it. I think I decided that the New Improved and also all iterations of the NEW were better shavers for me, so I ditched it.

Good stuff Chris. I never bought a Chiseled Face/Zoologist soap because I keep hearing the same thing...scent is strong and great...but performance is just okay.

Good stuff Chris. Bummer the OLD is not quite what you like. Sounds like a lot of good soaps though! Enjoy the weekend!

Thanks, Chris.

Welcome back Chris. I've heard the Zoologists scents are strong and cologne like. Nice pic !

Thanks, Dave. And yes, the Zoologist scents are very strong! (Which isn't such a bad thing, actually).
1f60e.png

Great to hear you're back home Chris! Nice shave to kick off shaving back in the home den, though sorry to hear that the OLD wasn't quite what you were hoping it would be. At least the scent of the soap made up for it in spades!

Thanks, Josh. And roger that.

Interesting post. I liked my Old type when I had one and used it, but I'll also note that I no longer have one and no longer use it. I think I decided that the New Improved and also all iterations of the NEW were better shavers for me, so I ditched it.

I agree, Randall. I much prefer the NEW.

Good stuff Chris. I never bought a Chiseled Face/Zoologist soap because I keep hearing the same thing...scent is strong and great...but performance is just okay.

The performance is good "enough" for a DE, but I would not even consider using it with a straight.

Sunday's shave:

Just a quick one-passer with the Injector today. An extremely enjoyable CCS. Perfect for today!

The TOBS Grapefruit was wonderful for this hot/humid day, and the EJ XL synth whipped up a marvelous lather. Finished up with Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel, then Bleu de Chanel EdP. The BdC is most excellent!

I totally dig every component of this afternoon's set up:

SR Shave #629:

Back to a traditional straight razor today. And tried a new soap. But first, the razor. I chose to go with the Ralf Aust, following an edge refresh. I had actually refreshed this prior to my last use of this razor, but noted that the 12K wasn't getting it quite "there" and might need to drop to the 8K. Well, instead of doing that, I opted to go with the little Les Lat coti since the last two razors seemed to "like" that stone very much.

Bottom line: the edge just wasn't where I wanted it to be after the first pass. So I actually stopped, took the razor to the Natural Whetstone trans ark for some finishing. Second and third pass was much better, but still not quite "there", but almost, as it gave an acceptable DFS. Post shave, I took it to the Les Dressante bout, then Dan's Whetstone black ark for some laps. It'll be interesting to see how it does next time. But I have noticed that this particular razor seems to like a synth edge best (for me).

OK, the soap. I used a sample of the Declaration Grooming "Shore". This is the new Icarus base that has generated a lot of buzz as of late. I'm a huge fan of DG soaps, but this is the first time I've tried the new base.

Well........call me unimpressed. The performance was actually not as good for me, with the water at my house, as the "regular" DG base. And the scent? Oy, the gamey funk is dreadful, and just would not dissipate. It's a shame, because this "Shore" is a very pleasant aquatic scent, but I just couldn't get past the yukiness. Perhaps with the full tub, leaving the lid off for a couple of days might help tame the scent, IDK. Oh well.
1f60e.png

There was a silver lining, however, to this morning's shave, and that was the aftershave. I haven't used the Pacific Rush in quite a while, but it was just what the doctor ordered. I'm not sure why I don't use this more often because it's outstanding juice. I've always said that if this were packaged in a glass bottle, with a "fancy" label, and sold in a high-end store, with a high-end price tag, it would garner rave reviews as one of the best frags out there. It actually amuses me that a dime store a/s is so good!

I'm slowly working towards getting caught up with everyone. Hope the week goes well for all.

Wow...truly surprised that the Icarus base didn't perform for you, though I totally get it on the anamalic funk that it has. There is a very slight funk coming from my tub of shore, but not nearly as bad as the tub of Santal Auster. From what I understand, they did a couple of things on this soap release to help dissipate the funk, but it's still there to a degree. How much water did it take at your house to get to the optimal lather?

I guess there are plenty of soaps out there so you can find those that work with your water. But I think I'd be tempted just to use distilled water for making lather.

Wow...truly surprised that the Icarus base didn't perform for you, though I totally get it on the anamalic funk that it has. There is a very slight funk coming from my tub of shore, but not nearly as bad as the tub of Santal Auster. From what I understand, they did a couple of things on this soap release to help dissipate the funk, but it's still there to a degree. How much water did it take at your house to get to the optimal lather?

Unfortunately, the anamalic funk is a deal breaker for me with the Shore. But I've got a sample of the "Sweet Lemon" and the "Contemplation" that I'll try, and I'll use a different brush. This soap takes an enormous amount of water, Josh! I'm thinking that a boar might work well.

I guess there are plenty of soaps out there so you can find those that work with your water. But I think I'd be tempted just to use distilled water for making lather.

I've tried distilled water before and it's helped with certain soaps. But really, I don't have that big a problem with most soaps at my house.

Bummer on the soap! Thankfully it was just a sample.

Glad you salvaged the shave though, despite that and the stubborn edge.

I've not tried the Dg base but I really liked the original. The fragrances have always been a little creative but are overall the right strength for my liking. They are pretty proud of the new base but I would like to see more approachable scents if possible.

Bummer on the soap! Thankfully it was just a sample.

Glad you salvaged the shave though, despite that and the stubborn edge.

No worries.
1f60e.png

I've not tried the Dg base but I really liked the original. The fragrances have always been a little creative but are overall the right strength for my liking. They are pretty proud of the new base but I would like to see more approachable scents if possible.

I've done a test lather with the other two Icarus soap samples, to see how the scent is. The "Sweet Lemon" is not really sweet; it smells more like a bakery item, a lemon square to be precise. And the "Contemplation" would have serious potential IF it didn't have the gamey funk.

Back