The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Saturday's shave:

A night shave this evening, to save time in the morning before Divine Liturgy.

Here was the set up:

My goodness, what an awesome shave!

Phenomenal soap - Man oh man is the scent of this soap off-the-charts-AWESOME!

Custom brush - Doug Korn w/Ubersoft synthetic

Birth year/qtr Flare Tip Super Speed (w/Gillette Rubie). 3 passes for an outstanding BBS.

Finished up with the Kiehl's aftershave balm, and all is good!

Great shave and picture Chris! I need to break out my MW soap, I only have one and it has been a long time since I used it.

Awesome shave Chris! Is this first time you have used Coconut Sandalwood? It is a very nice scent...VERY nice! I am loving your pics buy the way. I have to ask...and if you don't want to divulge your trade secrets about your pics I completely understand. But are you cutting your images and inserting them on backdrops...or are you providing a new backdrop for every picture you take..ie..are you physically setting your gear on a blue backdrop for this pic?

Catching up, Chris - great shaves and pics as usual!

Congrats on nailing those edges with that Coti...that must feel so great to know that stone is the one. And my lord...I'm still getting over you throwing a straight into the garbage. You're like the cool lead in a movie....if there was a movie about a shaver who just plays by his own rules... ??

Awesome shave Chris! Is this first time you have used Coconut Sandalwood? It is a very nice scent...VERY nice! I am loving your pics buy the way. I have to ask...and if you don't want to divulge your trade secrets about your pics I completely understand. But are you cutting your images and inserting them on backdrops...or are you providing a new backdrop for every picture you take..ie..are you physically setting your gear on a blue backdrop for this pic?

Great shave and picture Chris! I need to break out my MW soap, I only have one and it has been a long time since I used it.

Thanks, Craig.

I was thinking the same thing! Craig, which one do you have?

Thanks, Don; much appreciated. As to your questions:

(1) This is not the first time I've used the MW Coconut Sandalwood. I actually got this tub when the scent first became available for sale. And after this use, the bottom of the tub is just now becoming visible. I use it sparingly, so it'll last - I totally dig it!

(2) I don't have any "trade secrets" about my novice photos, but I'm happy to tell you what I do. I'm not good with computers and various software applications, so I do not cut my images and insert them on backdrops (because I wouldn't know how - LOL). I actually physically set up my gear on different backdrops. And guess what the backdrops are? Just simple poster board. The kind you used to use for school projects back in the day. Yep, just that simple. I do my rather unsophisticated photo editing on 2 free photo programs: "paint.net", and the other one is just called "Paint". Then I upload them to "Imgur". Then I insert the imgur photo to here. Oh, and as of late, I use my iPhone X to take the pictures. It actually takes better quality pics than my old Nikon SLR camera.

Catching up, Chris - great shaves and pics as usual!

Congrats on nailing those edges with that Coti...that must feel so great to know that stone is the one. And my lord...I'm still getting over you throwing a straight into the garbage. You're like the cool lead in a movie....if there was a movie about a shaver who just plays by his own rules...
1f60e.png
1f60a.png

Thanks, Brad. Well, that razor was a "beater" anyway, so no loss to me.
1f60e.png

Thanks, Don; much appreciated. As to your questions:

(1) This is not the first time I've used the MW Coconut Sandalwood. I actually got this tub when the scent first became available for sale. And after this use, the bottom of the tub is just now becoming visible. I use it sparingly, so it'll last - I totally dig it!

(2) I don't have any "trade secrets" about my novice photos, but I'm happy to tell you what I do. I'm not good with computers and various software applications, so I do not cut my images and insert them on backdrops (because I wouldn't know how - LOL). I actually physically set up my gear on different backdrops. And guess what the backdrops are? Just simple poster board. The kind you used to use for school projects back in the day. Yep, just that simple. I do my rather unsophisticated photo editing on 2 free photo programs: "paint.net", and the other one is just called "Paint". Then I upload them to "Imgur". Then I insert the imgur photo to here. Oh, and as of late, I use my iPhone X to take the pictures. It actually takes better quality pics than my old Nikon SLR camera.

I thought you were one the original purchasers of the Coconut Sandalwood!

Thanks for sharing what you do for your pics! They are absolutely wonderful!

cmh737 said:
Craig, which one do you have?
I have the Coconut Lime Verbena. If I remember correctly it was a bingo prize that Don aka DangerousDon donated at the other place. I believe that it has been reformulated since this was made.

Nice shave and pic. I love that brush!

And of course I'm a huge fan of Michelle's shave soaps.

I thought you were one the original purchasers of the Coconut Sandalwood!

Thanks for sharing what you do for your pics! They are absolutely wonderful!

Yep, one of the original purchasers....and my pleasure.

Glad if it brings a smile. Google is my friend. Nice tip on pics. Thought it might be magic how you get such nice pics.

Ah yes, "the" google....and no "magic" on my plain ole pix.

I have the Coconut Lime Verbena....

A nice summer one indeed. Now you just need to add the Coconut Sandalwood, Marrakesh, Vetiver & Oakmoss, Jeff's Lavender, etc....

Nice shave and pic. I love that brush!

And of course I'm a huge fan of Michelle's shave soaps.

Thanks, Randall. And roger that.

SR Shave #628:

The set up for this morning was this:

The full hollow Bengall provided a nice 2-pass DFS. No complaints. This was the second shave I had off of Dave's honing. The edge for the first shave was a tad "brisk", but it settled in nicely for this one. Grade A for sure.

The soap was excellent. It's been a while since I broke out this tub of soap, and it was time. I've used 6 different Wheat State Soaps thus far, and this "Sweet Tobacco" has been my favorite. I totally dig the scent of this! Here are the scent notes from the website: "Cured tobacco provides the base, while hints of cedar and bergamot combine with a top note of crisp bay." I find the bay to be the dominate note, and this is just dynamite in my book. It is NOT, and I repeat, NOT a sweet tobacco flower kind of scent. So if you're thinking Alt Innsbruck aftershave, you won't find it in this soap, thankfully! (My goodness, how I loathe Alt Innsbruck a/s - oy! Sickenly cloying sweet yukiness! I despise it more than the Veg, if you can believe that!).

But back to the soap....The Plisson L'Occitane synthetic in a Rudy Vey PJ style handle whipped up an excellent lather! The performance of this soap is highest Tier 1 for me. On Chad's scale, I give it a Tier 1, Box 2. Really, about the only thing I can say that keeps it from "elite" status, is that I believe the post shave moisturizing might could be a tad bit better, but that's only a quibble. Not all soaps can be elite, right? However, don't let that dissuade anyone from this soap. Like I said, I dig it, and will definitely reorder this one. My next favorite Wheat State Soaps is the "7 Mile Beach" - another one I definitely dig.

Finished up with one of my favorite aftershaves, the Floid Vigoroso. This one is all about the cooling effect, and the powdery dry down - love it. It is a bit drying, however, to my ole mug, but no biggie, as I used (like most days) some Sampson's unscented balm afterward. No additional frag for today, as I'm enjoying the Floid Vig.

Great stuff Chris and congrats on finding "the one"! Coconut Sandalwood is definitely a great scent by Michelle!

Back