The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

I actually did check it out at the grocery store the other day, and nope, didn't smell like the soap, nor like anything for that matter.
1f60e.png
You have to break the stems of the tops to smell it. If you want the full story of Fairway, watch my 7 sins of wetshaving video.

Glad you didn’t have to bin the razor this time lol!

Enjoy the time with family. I definitely want to catch Ant Man & The Wasp before it leaves theaters too!

No razor binning this time - LOL....And the movie was very entertaining.

That FWE is a beautiful razor. I had a chance at a NOS FWE like that one but let it go. I found it on ebay for around $100 and opted to place a simple low bid of $100 and watched it go for $102...who knows how high the other guy would have gone. It was between a NOS Cmon and the FWE...let them both go at $102 and bought a beater Cmon Blackie for $15. I swore I wouldn't buy anything but the best from this point on. I guess I'll have to man up and be prepared to pay for the best.

I'll ignore the trashed Henrys XX.

As for the Rose Oud, I have some of that same batch tucked away. I will make sure to hold some in reserve so you can feel comfortable using up that smaller sample.

I can't believe you passed up a NOS FWE Special! Man, I've been trying to find one in pristine condition for a while. It's a dynamite razor! I totally dig the Solingen blades, and this FWE is something nice.

And thanks for the rose oud reserve!

You have to break the stems of the tops to smell it. If you want the full story of Fairway, watch my 7 sins of wetshaving video.

Bingo. KJ has it right. I was going to post this, but he beat me to it.

Ah so, break the tops. Now, where is that "7 sins of wetshaving" video located?

Tuesday’s shave:

A quick entry due to a quick, early shave.

I left early for the airport, so used the following: Merkur 34, EJ XL synth, AoS Bergamot & Neroli shaving cream, Brut a/s, and vintage Brut cologne.

Excellent 2-passer (w/cleanup) for a rock solid DFS(+). And this was the first time that I’ve gotten around to trying the AoS Bergamot & Neroli. The scent is actually a bit of a disappointment. It’s pleasant enough, I suppose, but rather artificial to me. I give it a “meh” rating, in terms of scent; performance-wise, it’s good stuff.

BTW, I’m at the airport, but it’s not work. I’m actually going up to D.C. for the Braves/Nationals game. They play at 1pm, then I’ll head back home. After today, I’ll only have 4 more major league ballparks to go!

Great shaves, reads, and pictures Chris!

Good job on getting the edge right on the FWE!

BTW, I’m at the airport, but it’s not work. I’m actually going up to D.C. for the Braves/Nationals game. They play at 1pm, then I’ll head back home. After today, I’ll only have 4 more major league ballparks to go!
I do believe in today’s, or maybe last decade’s lingo, that would be considered to be a baller move.

Ah so, break the tops. Now, where is that "7 sins of wetshaving" video located?
It's in the "Member Videos" section. The discussion of Fairway starts about 11 minutes in?

I can summarize it for you, if you'd like.

Sue, who started St. Charles Shave, died of cancer a number of years ago, as I'm sure you know. KJ loved the scent of Fairway, but it no longer appeared on the website. So he contacted Wendy to ask her if she could make some for him. Wendy replied that she could not because she didn't have the recipe for it. It seems that Sue had a lot of stuff just in her head, but not necessarily written down for others. Wendy then remembered that there was an earlier soap that went by a different name (that eludes me right now). She sent a sample of that to KJ, and it was the same scent, just going by a different name. Wendy DID have a recipe for THAT soap, so she was able to resurrect the Fairway line, thanks to the fact that KJ inquired after it.

That's the story, in a nutshell. Sorry I couldn't remember what the original name of the scent was.

Now, as far as the carrot top description goes, Wendy told me that the scent was specifically meant to smell exactly like carrot tops. We had a laugh about "what's in a name?", as it were, and mused about how much better the sales are with the name "Fairway" than they would be if the soap were named "Carrot Tops."

I'm a golfer, and it is also interesting how having the name Fairway on the product presets your mind to conjure up a golf course upon smelling the soap.

It is a really nice scent.

You got it mostly right. But I was the one who connected it to the other soap, which was Shamrock.

It does smell like carrot tops, but generically just smells like a clean, crisp, green scent. Almost like fresh cut grass. Hence the “Fairway” golf connection.

Great shaves, reads, and pictures Chris!

Good job on getting the edge right on the FWE!

Thanks, Craig.

I do believe in today’s, or maybe last decade’s lingo, that would be considered to be a baller move.

Cool, enjoy the game!!

Thanks, Dave & Dave. The weather was so hot and humid that it was actually fairly miserable; and the Braves lost that one; but they did win the night cap game (but I didn't stay for that one).

Wednesday's shave:

Back on track with my self-imposed, rose scented shaving soap theme, and today it was.......

Oh yeah, the Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto! My goodness, I dig this soap! Elite performer all the way, and the scent is killer! Although it's not a single rose bud scent, it is rose dominate, and it's magnificent! I love it!

Did 3 full passes (a rarity for me) with the U.S. Gillette Aristocrat (W1) using a Gillete Nacet blade, and was rewarded with a wonderful BBS. Fantastic!

Post shave was Alcolado Glacial aftershave splash, then GTB EdP. The GTB turned out to be an excellent pairing, believe it or not, with the soap. Dynamite!

Tomorrow I'll finish up my rose scented theme with my absolute favorite rose scented soap, that can be purchased, and I think y'all know what that is.
1f60e.png

Wholly Kaw definitely makes a freakishly great soap! That one I'm sure is no exception. Just not sure why you would want to muddy those scents with your Ghost Town Barber EdP. ?

Awesome stuff Chris! Glad to hear that you're whittling down your list of ball parks to get to!

Back