The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Well, I tell you what, if you want a stick, I'll PIF you one. Take your pick between "Vetiver & Oakmoss", or "Jeff's Lavender". Just PM me your addy if you want one.

Very generous and don't want to appear ungrateful but will pass. Thank you for the kind offer though.

Great TSC themed shave day Chris! Can’t argue much with a one pass CCS!

Thanks, Chris.

Thanks, KJ.

Sounds like you were firing on all cylinders today!

I definitely was, and it was quite enjoyable.

Dang, you just know that's a Sorrentino brush by the finish!

True dat!

Excellent shave Chris!

Thanks, Don.

Very generous and don't want to appear ungrateful but will pass. Thank you for the kind offer though.

No worries, Dave.
1f60e.png

Tuesday's shave:

Had to get in a very early shave this morning, and just now back home to post it. It was just a quick 2-passer with the Merkur 34, but it was a nice one, none-the-less. I used another one of CBL's new soaps. He was gracious to send me two soaps to try, and I received them in the mail yesterday. The one I used this morning was his "unscented version 4.2", and it was an elite performer, as I've come to expect from his soaps. Many thanks, CBL!

Finished up with Dunhill Icon EdP (the "grape soda") and I can still detect it even now - great longevity and awesome juice!

Nothing wrong with a quick two passer. Especially when it's a good shave like yours!

SR Shave #618:

Alrighty, a day off, and I had plenty of time this morning to fully experience the second soap that CBL sent me. This one is, "CBL 4.1 Earl Grey".

The performance is typical elite level, so I won't go into that aspect.

But the scent.....Mr. Lindsay, sir, you have created another masterpiece. This bergamot is......

https://youtu.be/R1X7IwtPTsc

I...TOTALLY...DIG...THIS!!! My goodness, this is so awesome! And the SOS is fantastic at a solid 4/5. I'm not sure how you've been able to amp up the SOS as of late, but keep doing what you're doing, because this stuff is outstanding. I love how citrusy and "bright" this is - fabulous. If I had not tried the Rose Oud, I'd say that this Earl Grey is the best you've done. However, come to think of it, it's unfair to really compare, though, because they're so different. So let's say that the pair of them are the best you've done to date! Many thanks, CBL!

Finished up with Alpa Classique. This is a bergamot scented aftershave, and I dig it. It's a bit of an "old man" aftershave, IMHO, and so it was perfect for me today. BTW, in case you didn't know already, I dig the scent of bergamot!
1f60e.png

Oh gosh, I forgot about the razor! I re-honed this Genco "Henry's XX" the other day. I am now set with my honing regime, no more experimenting: Chosera 1K, Naniwa 3/5/8/12K, Dan's Whetstone Black Ark, as this produced another nice edge; it gave me a 3-pass BBS that I have no complaints about. My only quibble is that this blade is very light, and thus not really in my wheelhouse, but I cannot complain about the edge.

So I'm all set today. And this evening, my wife have plans. We're going to a concert.....Echo & the Bunnymen, with the Violent Femmes opening. Good 80's stuff. I actually saw Echo & the Bunnymen in Dallas about 7 or 8 years ago - even though we're all older, they still put on a great show.

Excellent shave Chris. I might need to do a month of CBL shaves. He has sent me enough to have enough product for it, and a month of outstanding performing soaps might be just what I need.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Enjoy the concert and time with the missus! Make sure you strut your stuff when you’re a walkin!

Okay...is this Mr. Lindsay a vendor here? Because everyone keeps raving about his soap!?

As far as the concert goes...Are you kidding me! Echo and the Bunnymen...with the Violent Femmes! That is a bucket list concert right there! I hope you enjoy!

Outstanding stuff Chris!! Sounds like CBL absolutely hits all the right spots with the water at your house, no small feat!! Glad to hear that you've found a reliable honing regime for your razors, always nice to have one to fall back on!

Glad you liked that one Chris, I made it special for you. I like the strength of scent but the scent doesn't turn my crank...its not a bad scent but just not special to me. As I make and test different soap scents I am finding I am at a disadvantage in that by the time I get done making the stuff I am pretty tired of the scent and can't enjoy the finished product in the same way.

I envy your ability to find time to hone. I am either too busy or not motivated and my shaves have suffered because of it. The Genco DeRoma I used today used to be SO smooth but today it was most definitely not. I took it to the Balsa strop in hopes that will improve it. I hope to have some time to go through my drawer of razors a few at a time and give them all a touch up.

I learned something from making the recent batches of soap. I knew how to make a "better" product but it meant making a softer soap. I have been so intent on making my soaps firmer I was missing the stars and hitting the moon. I may be doing the same thing with honing. I have a romantic notion that an all COTI or finishing only on a stone followed by strop is the "proper" way to go. Some of my best edges included some sort of diamond paste on balsa or cotton strop...maybe I shouldn't be skipping this part.

That bowl you used yesterday is awfully purdy.

Have to say I'm jealous of the CBL Earl Grey

That concert sounds amazing! That’s pretty much my favorite genre of music.

And I was going to ask what SOS was, but Chris’ response answered that.

Back