The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Catching up Chris!

Great couple of shaves, reviews, and pictures!

500 different soaps used, WOW that's quite a feat!

A wonderful shave! This is a soap a lot of people are getting behind lately! Plus that scent description... Sandalwood and Bergamot? Yes Please!

I totally dig this scent, Don. PM me your addy and I'll send you a sample.

Nice read today Chris. I used the sample of this that you sent me today. Although I must be honest the scent wasn't as WOW for me as it was for you. I did enjoy it, but wasn't a favorite for me. But the performance was definitely VERY GOOD!

Well, we all have different scent preferences. Now go gather up some tumbleweeds!
1f61c.png

I'll have to say that I won't be surprised as word gets out that these soaps get harder and harder to get a hold of. They already seem to sell out from time to time and they are nothing up a top performer.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Great another soap to put on my list. Dave walks away head hung low shaking it wondering how he can keep up with these guys............

1f60e.png

Great shave and pic. That Fili looks really good.

Thanks, Doug.

I am getting behind in the journals as of late; my apologies, Gents. I'm hoping that things settle down on the home front soon. So here are yesterday's and today's shaves. Be prepared for somewhat of a lengthy post.
1f60e.png

Yesterday's shave (Wednesday):

I decided to try the recently arrived tub of Lisa's "Somali Rose" in the Premium version; this one:

I'll say up front, that I had a much better experience with this soap than the previous Lisa's sample that I used the other day. The lather on this one was very, very good, and the shave went smoothingly well. My only quibble on the performance is that there wasn't much residual slickness, but post shave was astonishingly good - go figure. As a matter of fact, I didn't even use any aftershave product! So I rate this just shy of "elite" status, based on the fact that I'd like to have had more residual slickness. On Chad's scale, I give it the highest Tier 1 rating of Tier 1, Box 2. I was very pleased with this one. The Merkur slant provided an excellent 2-pass, DFS(+).

The scent of this soap is quite interesting to me. I actually test lathered this for a couple of days prior to using it yesterday. At first, I thought that this was not going to work for me. It very much reminded me of GFT "Eucris", which is not really in my wheelhouse at all. But I wanted to give it a chance. The second day, it kind of started to appeal to me from a "uniqueness" standpoint. And then when I used it yesterday, it had me hook, line, and sinker. I like it because it's so different than anything I have. Is it a dynamite "rose" scent? Well, no.....if you're looking for a natural, singular rose bud type of scent. This is much more complex and one that I can appreciate because it adds variety to my soap rotation. In fact, I like it so much, that I actually ordered this in the bar/bath soap yesterday! Also, the SOS is very much to my liking, as I give it a solid 4/5 on the SOS scale, and it lingers post shave for quite a while. And BTW, just for comparison's sake, I test lathered the sample of Somali Rose in the original formula. Curious - the scent from the original formula's sample was barely discernable. I'd give it a 0.5/5 on the SOS scale. This begs the questions: (1) Is this one of the characteristics of the Premium versions in that they've amped up the SOS? (2) Is it just that the samples are woefully weak in the SOS department? At any rate, I'm pleased that this Premium version has a nice strong SOS, and I can say that I dig this scent. When I ordered the bar/bath soap, I was going to get the matching aftershave; but after a closer look at the ingredients of the a/s, I noticed it contained hemp seed oil, so that I was a no-go for me. Oh well.

SR Shave #615 from today:

Alrighty, so today's shave. In a word, "magnificent"!

I went with some MdC Fougere; this one:

And the razor and brush choice for the day, were these:

My goodness, how I dig the MdC Fougere.....and I'm not even a fougere kind of guy, generally speaking! The monster Rudy Vey Shavemac 3-band silvertip @32/64 whipped up an outstanding lather, and the T-I provided for an excellent 2-pass, rock solid DFS.

Finished up with some Asylum Royal Fougere aftershave, then Sampson's unscented balm. Ahhhhhhhh, what a set-up!

Thanks for reading, Gents. I sure hope that I can get caught up commenting on everyone's entries soon.

Outstanding stuff, sir! I love the Somali Rose scent...and exactly for the reasons you went through above. Just a phenomenal scent that brings a smile to my face.

On another note...MdC Fougere...YES! And holy mother of Peter...a 32mm Shavemac?!? WHOA!

Copy and pasting Josh's comment as he said what I was going to.....

I love the Somali Rose scent...and exactly for the reasons you went through above.

I like it as something different then my usual too. Love Thursdays pic with Charlie Brown

Great shaves Chris.

That Charlie Brown figure is a kick! Looks like he’s humbly offering up the SR sacrifice for the day. ?

...And holy mother of Peter...a 32mm Shavemac?!? WHOA!

Oh yeh! Pure luxury!!

Sounds mah-velous

It was indeed.
1f60e.png

Copy and pasting Josh's comment as he said what I was going to.....

I love the Somali Rose scent...and exactly for the reasons you went through above.

I like it as something different then my usual too. Love Thursdays pic with Charlie Brown

Thanks, Dave.

BAM Lisa's for the win! And then MdC Fougere! That is two great shaves!

Thanks, Chad.

Great shaves Chris.

That Charlie Brown figure is a kick! Looks like he’s humbly offering up the SR sacrifice for the day.
1f606.png

Thanks, Chris. And an SR sacrifice - too funny!

Nice shaves and pics. The Charlie Brown is awesome.

Thanks, Doug.

Friday the 13th:

I enjoyed the MdC Fougere so much yesterday that I had to use it again today. I did, however, change up razors; this one:

Yes, the British Aristocrat #16. My goodness, how I dig this razor! I did just two passes, with some clean-up, and was rewarded with a wonderful BBS(-).

The soap was magnificent, as the Rudy Vey w/Shavemac 2-band silvertip (not the DO1 version), whipped up a superb lather. I totally dig the scent of this soap. Dare I say that it's, "sublime"? I wish that the SOS, which I rate at 2/5, were higher; but this is one of those rare subtle scented soaps that I make an exception for. It's a masterpiece, IMHO.

Post shave was some Gentleman's Chamber "Dublin Tweed" aftershave splash that Dave had sent me in trade. Outstanding juice! Face feel is excellent, and the scent is a good effort on trying to duplicate Creed's GIT. However, I think that the a/s leans more towards Davidoff's Cool Water than GIT, but who cares? It's outstanding! And it certainly didn't clash with the Creed GIT EdP that I finished everything off with. I'm good to go!
1f60e.png

In a couple of hours, it'll be time to go see my 8 year old daughter's performance. For the past two weeks she's been at the Alliance Theatre participating in their musical theatre day camp. Today is the show they've been working on; a new version of the "Wizard of Oz". Her class is 2nd and 3rd graders, about a dozen kids, and the show lasts for only about 20 minutes. But they have fun and put a lot of effort into it.

I'm slowly working on catching up with everyone.

Nice shave, and a really nice DE.

I hope your daughter's performance goes well and that she enjoys it!

That is really a beautiful razor!

Enjoy the evening watching your daughter's performance! I am sure it will be special and spectacular!

Back