The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Excellent shave Chris. I might need to do a month of CBL shaves. He has sent me enough to have enough product for it, and a month of outstanding performing soaps might be just what I need.

Thanks, Eric. And I know what you mean!

Wahoo great stuff!

Thanks, Chad.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Enjoy the concert and time with the missus! Make sure you strut your stuff when you’re a walkin!

Thanks, Chris.

....As far as the concert goes...Are you kidding me! Echo and the Bunnymen...with the Violent Femmes! That is a bucket list concert right there! I hope you enjoy!

The concert was fun. Echo & The Bunnymen played all their good stuff with some new stuff. The sound was great! But the show itself? Meh. The venue was the Chastain Ampitheatre (if anyone's been to the ATL). While a fun atmosphere, albeit muggy hot, there's not much in the way of cool lighting, sets, etc. And the band, being in their early 60's now, just stood and played. No real "show". I had seen them in Dallas about 15 years ago and they had a lot more energy then.

Outstanding stuff Chris!! Sounds like CBL absolutely hits all the right spots with the water at your house, no small feat!! Glad to hear that you've found a reliable honing regime for your razors, always nice to have one to fall back on!

Thanks, Josh.

Glad you liked that one Chris, I made it special for you. I like the strength of scent but the scent doesn't turn my crank...its not a bad scent but just not special to me. As I make and test different soap scents I am finding I am at a disadvantage in that by the time I get done making the stuff I am pretty tired of the scent and can't enjoy the finished product in the same way.

I envy your ability to find time to hone. I am either too busy or not motivated and my shaves have suffered because of it. The Genco DeRoma I used today used to be SO smooth but today it was most definitely not. I took it to the Balsa strop in hopes that will improve it. I hope to have some time to go through my drawer of razors a few at a time and give them all a touch up.

I learned something from making the recent batches of soap. I knew how to make a "better" product but it meant making a softer soap. I have been so intent on making my soaps firmer I was missing the stars and hitting the moon. I may be doing the same thing with honing. I have a romantic notion that an all COTI or finishing only on a stone followed by strop is the "proper" way to go. Some of my best edges included some sort of diamond paste on balsa or cotton strop...maybe I shouldn't be skipping this part.

There's nothing wrong with a softer soap! Your latest batches have been grand slams! And I hear ya on the honing. I'm done with over-thinking the sharpening game. The synths with the ark finish is now my go-to. I'll still mess around with the coti some...maybe.

And many thanks for the Earl Grey soap - it's dynamite!

That bowl you used yesterday is awfully purdy.

Have to say I'm jealous of the CBL Earl Grey

Thanks, Dave.

That concert sounds amazing! That’s pretty much my favorite genre of music.

And I was going to ask what SOS was, but Chris’ response answered that.

Thanks, KJ.

Thursday's shave:

Another early shave this morning as I'll be heading out to work for a few days. I decided to go with the following:

What a great shave today! Everything was in sync and firing on all cylinders. Did a 2-passer with the Gillette NEW (w/black ninja blade) for a rock solid, smooth DFS(+). The "Eric Custom" w/Cashmere synthetic (awesome brush!) whipped up an outstanding MdC lather. This is the original scent that I've had for about 4 years. It's a little more than half used, I'd estimate, but still going gangbusters. I definitely dig MdC soaps! Post shave was Kiehl's aftershave balm, then some Sampson's unscented balm. Finished up with Creed's GIT.

Hopefully I'll get caught up with everyone soon.

Great shave, Chris! It's been a while since I used black walnut, but if I could find another piece that looks like that one I'd break it out more often lol.

Great looking brush. No, that’s just a great looking shave all around!

Catching up Chris!

Great shaves and pictures!

Great job on the honing. Glad you have a routine that works for you!

cmh737 said:
15 years ago and they had a lot more energy then.
I know the Feeling!
1f609.png

Great shave, Chris! It's been a while since I used black walnut, but if I could find another piece that looks like that one I'd break it out more often lol.

Thanks, Eric. This particular brush is PERFECT! The handle is gorgeous, and the Cashmere knot is pure luxury.
1f44d.png

Great looking brush. No, that’s just a great looking shave all around!

Thanks, KJ.

Catching up Chris!

Great job on the honing. Glad you have a routine that works for you!

Thanks, Craig.
Catching up too Chris!

Stunning brush. Love that shape and wood.

Thanks, Dave.

SR Shave #619:

Back in town. Whilst away, I used the newest CBL soaps again, the Earl Grey and the Unscented. Outstanding, both!

Meanwhile, here was my set up for today:

It's been a while since I last used the SV Dolomiti (black puck), so I thought today would be a good day to give it another try. The Paladin whipped up a nice lather, and two passes later, I was rewarded with a very comfortable DFS from the Dorko 576 (one of my favorite razors!).

The scent of this black puck is much different than the previous version, IMHO. This one is a very clean, linen-like scent, with just a nuance of herb (sage, perhaps) that is perfect for summer time. And the SOS is about right for this scent profile at about a 3/5 on the SOS scale. The performance is high Tier 1 for me, with the water at my house. Try as I might, I have never been able to achieve an elite performing SV experience at my house. But I have used them on the road many times before, and I specifically recall an elite lather with the "Tumbleweed" in Manhattan.

Finished up with some vintage Avon Tai Winds. Turns out that this soap/aftershave combo was perfect!

I will be getting caught up with everyone later this evening, hopefully.

SR Shave #620:

Marvelous! Absolutely marvelous! That sums up today's shave. I used my favorite soap (that is available for purchase, that is), one of my favorite straight razors, one of my favorite boar brushes, and one of my favorite frags....

Stirling Iced Pineapple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes sir!
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png

And I did a little refresh/maintenance on the Brian Brown. Just some water only LL coti, then Dan's Black Ark. I can't remember the last time I set the bevel on this edge, but I might not have to re-set it ever again; this maintenance routine is working fine for now. And my goodness, what a butter-smooth coti edge I have on this blade. I did 3 passes and have a wonderful BBS(-) to show for it; smooooooooooth. BTW, for anyone contemplating another straight razor to add to their collection, I highly recommend these Brian Brown razors!

I broke out the large Omega 48 today, mainly because Doug's use of his 49 got me to thinking that it's been a while since I used the 48. This is definitely one of my favorite boars, if not THE favorite. Although I have to admit, I like using it with Italian soft soaps the best. Hmmmm, I do believe that tomorrow I shall use one of my other favorite boars, and an Italian soap.
1f60e.png

Post shave was Stirling Iced Pineapple aftershave balm, then Sampson's unscented balm. Finished off with Creed Aventus EdP. Marvelous! Absolutely marvelous!

Tuesday's shave:

It was time to break out the........."IN-JEC-TOR"! Yes!!! Just two passes (w/cleanup) and I'm a rock solid, completely irritation-free, DFS(+). Excellent.

For soap and brush, I went "Italian".

The soap was Vitos Sapone Per Barba Extra Super. I totally dig this soap! I had bought the 1KG brick a few months back and have it stored in air tight containers (the one pictured is just a prop for the photo). This is my favorite Italian soft soap. It lathers effortlessly, especially with a boar brush, and the scent is flat-out-AWESOME! It's a solid 4/5 on the SOS scale and is a wonderful marzipan scent (this one has absolutely zero "Play-Doh" nuance like Cella can become after a time). Performance-wise, this rates a solid Tier 1 for me. On Chad's scale, I give it a Tier 1, Box 3. The only thing that keeps it from "elite" status is that the residual slickness and post shave moisturizing could be a tad better. But overall slickness and protection, and scent of course, makes this an excellent soap for me. Actually, this could easily be a daily soap.

And the brush was another Omega boar, but a specially treated one. The boar hair has been treated somehow to make it incredibly soft. The backbone, however, is not like a typical boar - it doesn't have much. As a matter of fact, it's not too far removed from a synthetic in terms of backbone. But that's OK, it whips up an incredible lather!

Post shave was a mix of Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel, then Sampson's unscented balm. Finished off with Creed Aventus EdP. A fantastic start to the day!

Now, it's about time to head to the airport. But not for work this time! My wife has an event that she's participating in down in Tampa this week (she left this past Sunday). So my daughter and I are flying down today to join her for the rest of the week. While my wife is doing her thing, my daughter and I will do stuff......like go to Universal Studios Orlando (my 8 year old really wants to do the Harry Potter World thing - we've never been), and go to the TB Rays vs NY Yankees baseball game tomorrow (hopefully). I'm trying to see a game in every major league baseball park, and so far I only have 6 more to go, and TB is one of those six, so I can check that one off. Anyway, we'll find stuff to occupy our time. Meanwhile, I've got several soap samples to use whilst on the road!

Great shave Chris. Vitos or Valobra are definitely next on the AD list after my Cella tub gets used up.

Great goal to see a pro baseball game in every park! Have a great week with family, sounds like a ton of fun.

Back