The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Shave soaps is not her primary business. She has been entering the market slowly, and wanted to introduce a 4th scent, so had two different scents, the peppermint and the Lime Margarita. Lime Margarita won. And i'll be honest her lime is the BEST scent wise and performance wise that I have used. It is so GOOD!

Nuff said! Wise business moves.

No tricks. Just great shaves.
Roger that!

With all this talk about Peppermint, I might have to pull out one of my tubs of BlueBell Peppermint for a couple of shaves.
I've heard that BlueBell was a fantastic soap. I missed out on those.

Great shave and picture Chris!
Thanks, Craig.

Shave soaps is not her primary business. She has been entering the market slowly, and wanted to introduce a 4th scent, so had two different scents, the peppermint and the Lime Margarita. Lime Margarita won. And i'll be honest her lime is the BEST scent wise and performance wise that I have used. It is so GOOD!
Thanks, Chad. And what's the SOS of the Lime?

SR Shave #593:

Well, I really should look at my honing journal before honing a razor.....

I decided to re-hone the Genco Easy Aces. I went Chosera 1K, Naniwa 3K/5K/8K/12K, Translucent Black Ark, then normal stropping.

Result: Grade A+ !!!

Oh yeh, this is a dynamite edge! Just two passes for a totally irritation-free, rock solid DFS(+)! I actually surprised myself with this one - fantastic edge!!! This was an effortless shave - definitely one of the best I've had with a traditional straight. Sharp and smooooooooooth!

Now, as I was recording this in my honing journal, I noticed that I had already honed this back in February, and it only had the one shave on it! Doh! However, I went back to see how that particular shave went, and I had given it a grade of "A-", and it took 3 passes to get DFS. That honing regime was the same as this one, with one exception - I finished that one on the Suehiro Gokumyo 20K synth. This time around, I finished it on the Trans Black Ark. I also got a bit higher powered loupe, and I was able to see the bevel and edge much better which helped make some corrections on the heel and toe along the way. Oh well, the final edge is all that matters. And I was going to cull this blade from the heard, but I've now decided to hang onto it for a bit longer - LOL. As a matter of fact, I'm going to use it again tomorrow!

The other part of this stellar shave was the soap. I went with the Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto Special Edition w/Donkey Milk, and I'm here to tell ya that this soap is off-the-charts-AWESOME, as I've said before. The scent is definitely one of my favorite rose scented soaps, and the performance is elite status all the way. On Chad's scale it's Tier 1/Box 1 all day long! I totally dig it. As a matter of fact, I'm going to use this again tomorrow as well!

Finished up with some Fine Snake Bite + Witch Hazel, then opted for the Dunhill Icon Edp. Turned out to be an excellent pairing - the rose and the "grape soda"!

(Same photo from my February shave, but it sure saved me some time today)

Wha?!? You're going to use the same set-up two days in a row by choice?! Who are you and what did you do with Chris?!

But seriously...outSTANDING job on the honing, and I can't agree with you more on the Chypre Rose Concerto!

Good job on the edge. I am wondering, did you kill the edge before you started the progression or did you just get right to it. I ask because some times you find advice that suggests going back a stone after spending tome on one that is higher grit. The idea I suppose is to ensure you are spending enough time working out the more aggressive scratches. Two steps forward one step back until you get there I guess.

Wha?!? You're going to use the same set-up two days in a row by choice?! Who are you and what did you do with Chris?!

But seriously...outSTANDING job on the honing, and I can't agree with you more on the Chypre Rose Concerto!
I know, right? Two days in a row?!

Great shave and excellent honing job.
Thanks, Doug.

Good job on the edge. I am wondering, did you kill the edge before you started the progression or did you just get right to it. I ask because some times you find advice that suggests going back a stone after spending tome on one that is higher grit. The idea I suppose is to ensure you are spending enough time working out the more aggressive scratches. Two steps forward one step back until you get there I guess.
Thanks, CBL. And yes, I did kill the edge first, so started from scratch.

SR Shave #594:

This morning, I used the same razor and soap from yesterday: the Genco Easy Aces, and the Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto. Just two passes with the straight and got the same DFS(+) as I got yesterday....marvelous! But I'll be leaving for work soon, and will be working late, so opted to grab the DE for a third pass (as I didn't want to tempt you-know-who) and ended up with a stupendous BBS(+). I dare say, one of the greatest shave results I've ever had!

I changed up the brush today and went with one of my ShaverJoe customs w/Ubersoft synthetic. And changed frags from the Dunhill Icon to one of my all-time favorites: Aramis. What a great start to the day!

And since I am going to be working through the weekend, I decided to post my Memorial Day photo today. This is actually one I took two years ago, but thought it worthy of a repeat. I salute all who served!

Sorry you have to work through the holiday. I hope you get to enjoy a little.

Great shave; I currently favor the 2 open blade passes and 1 DE pass shave myself!

Nice shave today Chris...again, I can't fault anything in the set up....CRC is just top, TOP stuff

Great shave and picture. Too bad you have to work this weekend. I will eat some extra ribs in your honor.

Back