The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

BTW, here are some photos of my how my prep of the translucent black went:

The first pic is after some early 50 grit SiC. You can clearly see that the stone is not completely flat.

The second pic is after it was FINALLY lapped flat with the 50 grit.

The third pic is after either the 220 or the 400.

The fourth pic is after the 600.

The final pic is after the 2000 grit and dry honing.

And there are no scratches or fissures or any "flaw" - just color striations.

Good Stuff Chris, a bit of 000 or 0000 Steel wool and the black arkie will have a bunch of apes around it and you will be hearing "It is full of Stars"

LOL Great Job

Beautiful stones, and a nice razor pic on your most recent shave.

T&H makes bath soaps, too, and the BATH soap they call West Indian Limes is absolutely wonderful. Lathers beautifully, leaves the skin smooth and comfortable, and the scent is heavenly. MUCH better than the scent of the shaving cream that bears the same name.

I'm kind of a bath soap afficionado, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend in the strongest terms the T&H West Indian Limes bath soap. I haven't used a T&H SHAVE product in many years.

Great pics. Those stones look good.

Thanks, Doug.

Nice pictures Chris!
Thanks, Craig.

Very nice rocks Chris! Good job on the edge as well!
Thanks, TJ.

Good Stuff Chris, a bit of 000 or 0000 Steel wool and the black arkie will have a bunch of apes around it and you will be hearing "It is full of Stars"

LOL Great Job
Thanks, Dave. And roger that! Although, I'm curious about higher grit SiC dry/wet sandpaper. In addition to the 2000 grit, I've also got 3K, 4K, and 5K. I might try those one day.

Beautiful stones, and a nice razor pic on your most recent shave.

T&H makes bath soaps, too, and the BATH soap they call West Indian Limes is absolutely wonderful. Lathers beautifully, leaves the skin smooth and comfortable, and the scent is heavenly. MUCH better than the scent of the shaving cream that bears the same name.

I'm kind of a bath soap afficionado, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend in the strongest terms the T&H West Indian Limes bath soap. I haven't used a T&H SHAVE product in many years.

Thanks, Randall. And good info on the T&H bath soaps - that's good to hear! Of the big established British soap makers, I've used bath soaps from TOBS, DR Harris, and Bath House, and like them a lot. BTW, I like several of our shaving soap artisans versions of bath soaps as well (i.e. Soap Commander, Mama Bear, Mystic Water, SV, just to name a few).

Great reads and shaves Chris. Sounds like you ate making a lot of headway on your honing.

On a side note, you didn't happen to fly through Knoxville on Friday did you? During my 5 hour flight delay, I saw a very well shaven pilot from a major airline based near you.

Those are some pretty stones Chris!

Thanks, Josh.

Great reads and shaves Chris. Sounds like you ate making a lot of headway on your honing.

On a side note, you didn't happen to fly through Knoxville on Friday did you? During my 5 hour flight delay, I saw a very well shaven pilot from a major airline based near you.

Thanks, Don. And no, it wasn't me in Knoxville this past Friday. But if I get there again, I'll give you a shout ahead of time.

Lots of good stuff on this thread .

Thanks, Don.

SR Shave #592:

Just when I think I'm starting to learn how to hone with natural stones, I go and shave with a razor that was honed by someone else, and WHAMMO, I'm humbled and brought back down to earth....

Today, I opted to go with the Dorko 576. This was honed by CBL several months ago, and it's one of his best edges. This razor rocks on every level! It is definitely one of my favorite razors, right on par with the Wacker Allround Blonde. I think that I have developed an affinity for Solingen blades, as they are my number one preference for traditional straights. My goodness, this Dorko 576, like I said, it rocks! I did just two passes and got a completely irritation-free, super comfortable DFS. Awesome! And another thing that added to the "awesomeness" was the soap....

After reading Tom's (Sskim3) journal entry from yesterday where he used Beehive soap, I was motivated to go ahead and use some Beehive myself - the Sandalwood. Chad PIF'd me a new tub of this some time ago, and it really is a wonderful soap. The scent is really fantastic! I wish it were a tad bit stronger, though, but that's only a minor quibble. It's about a 2/5 on the SOS scale, but post shave, it lingers, which is surprisingly nice. And one thing that I really like about this soap is the "face feel". This is one of those unique aspects of a soap that CBL mentions often. This just makes my ole mug happy. I dig it!

The scent of this Sandalwood is hard to describe for me. It's sort of a mix of two types. Think AoS Sandalwood mixed with a dash of Proraso Red. IDK - I'm terrible at giving any meaningful scent info - LOL. Suffice to say, I dig it. And like I previously mentioned with the scent lingering post shave, I skipped an aftershave splash and just went with some Sampson's unscented balm. It seems to have sort of "sealed in" the goodness of the sandalwood. Now, for a frag.....I'll probably wait a while, but I'm thinking either LIDG or Pen's Hammam Bouquet.

A great start to the day!

That Dorco is a nice razor, I’m happy the edge turned out so nice. I’m going to have to paraphrase something Dave (XenoSr8shaver) said the other day...I’m just a monkey, rubbing steel on flat rocks.

I like the way the ark turned out. I dig the color striations, not your typical deep black that’s for sure. I have some 2k wet/dry, I might need to give that a go. I also have some 120 & 600 SiC, I may start on side two to see if I can improve on it.

Sounds like a most excellent soap choice today!
Thanks, Chris.

That Dorco is a nice razor, I’m happy the edge turned out so nice. I’m going to have to paraphrase something Dave (XenoSr8shaver) said the other day...I’m just a monkey, rubbing steel on flat rocks.

I like the way the ark turned out. I dig the color striations, not your typical deep black that’s for sure. I have some 2k wet/dry, I might need to give that a go. I also have some 120 & 600 SiC, I may start on side two to see if I can improve on it.

Roger all, CBL. You'll definitely have to dedicate some time to the Ark prep - LOL.

Great read, shave, and pic. The razor looks great, but I really love that brush handle.
Thanks, Doug. That brush handle was made by one of our former cadre friends (Nate, from the other place) that seemingly went off the grid a while ago....The knot is an AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic, which is one of the best synthetic knots, IMHO. Although, there are actually several outstanding synths now, so it's kind of hard to go wrong nowadays.

Back