The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Great shave Chris. The Rose Oud sounds like a fantastic scent, and CBL soaps are serious performers.

Great Stuff Chris, looks like some fun days off

Great shave, mail call, and pic.

Great read, shave, and picture Chris!

Nice job on the touch up!
Wowsers, Chris! As a fellow rose fanatic, that stuff sounds right up my alley.

Many thanks, Gents! And I can't say enough good things about CBL's Rose Oud soap - most excellent!

SR Shave #596:

This morning I decided to use one of the two new soaps I recently received: Soapy Science "Mint Mint". And the razor of choice was the Revisor, this one:

I did just two passes for a completely irritation-free, rock solid DFS, practically DFS(+). This 6/8 Revisor full hollow shaves like an even larger blade - I definitely dig it.

Now, the soap. The Doug Korn w/Ubersoft synthetic brush really whipped a nice lather. This soap has a very wide water margin and was very easy to lather. The scent is nice and strong, a solid 4/5 on the SOS scale, trending towards 5/5, and lasts throughout the entire shave. The peppermint scent is what I call a "chalky peppermint". For those that actually like peppermint, as I do, you know how peppermint candy comes in basically two styles: the "shiny, glossy" peppermint that is quite hard, and then the "chalky" kind that is soft and practically melts in your mouth? This soap's scent is like the latter. I liked it. The performance was very good. I only have two minor quibbles: (1) I think it could be a tad bit slicker for my preferences with a straight, but is still slick enough. (2) There isn't much residual slickness for buffing. But like I said, those are minor points after just one use. I want to experiment with different brush types and water types. I'm thinking that this might be a soap that a boar would really work well with. I'll take this on the road, for sure.

I'm on board with this Soapy Science story - and I'm sure they are tweaking the formulas as they move forward, as many artisan soap makers do. So thanks, Randall, for recommending this soap - I like it!

Finished up with some Kiehl's aftershave, then Sampson's unscented balm, then Dunhill Icon EdP. Yepper, the "grape soda" worked very well with the peppermint.

I'm working on catching up with everyone.

Nice. Glad you like the soap. I predict that as you use it more, you'll like it even better.

Nice. Glad you like the soap. I predict that as you use it more, you'll like it even better.
I predict that your prediction will prove to be accurate! Thanks again, Randall, for the Soapy Science recommendation; I might just have to try the Lollipop Citrus next.

Grape and peppermint never would've thought that would work. But I will take your word for it! Nice read.

Excellent thoughts. Hmm...mint mint you say. I wonder how it compares to Sudsy Soapery Twice Mint. Maybe we can have a Sudsy shave off!

Great shaves. That Revisor is a beautiful blade. I am jealous of all the great soaps.

Excellent thoughts. Hmm...mint mint you say. I wonder how it compares to Sudsy Soapery Twice Mint. Maybe we can have a Sudsy shave off!
I've never tried Sudsy Soapery Twice Mint, so I don't know how the scents would compare. I prefer Soapy Science lather to that of Sudsy Soapery, although the Sudsy is also very good.

Great stuff Chris. I was ridiculously close to pulling the trigger on some Dunhill Icon last week.

Back