The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

BTW, here's a pic of our new puppy:

RaRzBzC.jpg

She's a long-coat Chihuahua, 11 weeks old, and weighs all of 2.6 lbs (as of yesterday). My daughter is so excited! She named her, "Poppy". And I have to admit, this is one cute little dog. :cool:

BTW, here's a pic of our new puppy:

RaRzBzC.jpg

She's a long-coat Chihuahua, 11 weeks old, and weighs all of 2.6 lbs (as of yesterday). My daughter is so excited! She named her, "Poppy". And I have to admit, this is one cute little dog. :cool:

The long hair and markings really work. Cute pup!

Hey...we’ve got a little chihuahua very much like you little one. Ours is quite little, maybe 3-4 pounds soaking wet.

Very nice shave and I love the simplicity of that pic.
Thanks, Tim. I find myself gravitating more and more to minimalism - not just in taking photos. Well, except for shaving gear, and fountain pens, and...... :cool:
The long hair and markings really work. Cute pup!
:cool:
Hey...we’ve got a little chihuahua very much like you little one. Ours is quite little, maybe 3-4 pounds soaking wet.
Awesome! (y)
That is one cute dog!
It is indeed. Thanks, Don.

BTW, yesterday I was browsing a couple of antique/flea market shops in north GA, and I came home with this full bottle Avon aftershave. Guess how much it cost, including sales tax? All of $3.24 !!! Yep, no lie. And it still smells good. This is one that I had not heard of before, so I'm hoping that KJ @Spider can offer some insight.

G3R1kTc.jpg

7DWX1JV.jpg

Everest is good stuff. I believe it has juniper in it. Not really sure on the scent notes, but it's one of my favorites. I'm pretty sure @Dave in KY loves it too.

And that polar bear decanter is one of my favorites as well. I belive it was made in the late 70's.

Friday's shave:

"Alright, alright, alright" - it's been too long since I last broke out my single favorite soap, so today was as good a day as any. I'm talking about, Stirling Iced Pineapple!

Yes, yes, and YES!!! Excellent shave!

Finished up with a sample of Mancera Cedrat Boise EdP. This has been compared to Creed Aventus, but it's NOT a clone. It has a very nice opening with a fruity citrus blast, and kind of a pineapple thing going on (even though pineapple isn't one of the "official" listed notes). I've had it on now for a couple of hours at least, and there hasn't been much evolution in the dry down. It is quite static on my skin (or as many say, "linear"), and truth-be-told, I think I over-sprayed, because it's grating on my nerves right now - LOL. I detect a slight synthetic note somewhere in this, and on me, it has a buttery nuance that is something I don't care for in a fragrance ("creamy" is OK, but not "buttery"). Perhaps that is due to a certain musk, or ratio of musk, or perhaps it's just because I should have only gone with 2 pings at most. Or maybe it's better suited for colder weather? IDK, and therefore, I won't give an actual opinion on it yet. It's definitely worthy of more experimentation.

ilZVB1G.jpg

Everest is good stuff. I believe it has juniper in it. Not really sure on the scent notes, but it's one of my favorites....
And that polar bear decanter is one of my favorites as well. I belive it was made in the late 70's.
Thanks, KJ.
Nice shave Chris
Thanks, Dave.
Nice, refreshing shave!
Thanks, Chris.
Totally love the stuff! And that decanter is AWESOME!
Not sure I ever smelled a "buttery" note in an EdP, Edt, Cologne. Not sure I would like that either. Nice shave with the Iced Pineapple!
Thanks, Don. And roger that.

Saturday's shave:

Today was my daughter's birthday party (10 years old), and just now able to post this morning's shave.

The main gear was this...
NYvymqz.jpg

The shave was fantastic! Tuxedo synthetic + MdC Rose + British Aristocrat #16 = AWESOME!!!

Then finished with some outstanding vintage cologne - one of the greatest ever. This bottle is from November 1990. Yes, yes, and YES!

moMu27O.jpg

SR Shave #675:

I opted to go for a British razor (Kropp), soap (vintage Yardley), and post (Floris No. 89) this morning. But the brush is German (Thater 2-band). Sorry, but not sorry, in that I no longer have any British shaving brushes in my inventory. What a shave!!! And my goodness, how I dig Floris No. 89!!!

9muCE7u.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday's shave:

Not much to say this morning, other than I totally dig the hard puck Valobra Patchouly soap, and the vintage YSL Kouros Fraicheur EdT. What a great combo! I didn't even know about this flanker to "King Kouros" until recently. The original Kouros, that launched in 1981, is one that I certainly remember, but did not like then. Fast forward to a couple of months ago....I saw a bottle of Kouros in an airport duty free store and decided to sample it. The current formulation has, to me, eradicated the funky animalic note of the original version - THANKFULLY! (But much to the chagrin of the diehard Kouros fans). I think that Kouros has got to be one of the most polarizing fragrances ever - even more so than Tabac and the Veg (well, maybe not the Veg!) So I ended up buying a bottle a few weeks later - I'll wait to break that one out when it gets cooler. Meanwhile, I learned of the flanker, "Kouros Fraicheur", that launched in 1993. This is a "tamer" version of the original Kouros, and absolutely fantastic! Is it for the younger crowd? Oh no. Is it for the older crowd of today? Probably not - LOL - but for those that still dig the fragrances from "back in the day", and liked Kouros, but didn't wear it in the summer, then this is totally worthy! Love it!

BTW, on an unrelated note: I'm going to start becoming more and more scarce here in the journal section. I've got way, way too much going on in real life, and need all the time I can get doing other stuff. But I'll still try to post a photo, and check in periodically.

EKP65ve.jpg

That’ll be both our big frag guys going partial MIA! Noooooo!

Hope everything happening is good!

I dunno, I'd just switch to updating the cadre while you're on autopilot.

Back