The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Tuesday's shave:

Well, it's been a while since I made a journal entry, so thought I'd post one today while I actually have a bit of free time - at the moment, that is.

I've had my hands full the last month with "life issues", primarily my mother's illness. The long and short is that she was hospitalized for about a week the first of October, with what now turns out to have been pneumonia. At first, the docs thought lung cancer, but after all the tests, it wasn't - thankfully! Then a few weeks in a rehab facility to get her strength back, and now in a senior community - a good place for her now. The stress level was high enough, and couple that with not being home everyday due to work, and trying to handle all the administration/logistics issues, to say that I was run pretty ragged would be an understatement. But like Tim @MilkCrate says, "life is good"! And our little, long-coat chihuahua, now 5 months old, is a nice distraction and helps reduce the stress. Hey, speaking of stress reduction....nothing like a good shave, like today's:

Razor: Merkur 34c w/Gillette green
Brush: Thater 2-band silvertip
Soap: Mystic Water Jasmine
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Vanilla

And to finish things off, this vintage fragrance that launched in 1980....
dqO3XzX.jpg

My goodness, how I dig this one! I've been steadily building a fragrance collection that includes several vintage ones from the 70's and 80's, and am particularly enjoying the ones that have an abundance of oak moss, as this one does. If you like fragrances from "back in the day" like the original versions of Quorum, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, Polo Green, just to name a few, then you will definitely like this one. A big thumbs up!

I hope everyone has a safe and fun Thanksgiving next week!

Glad things turned out well for your mom. Good things here on the cadre too with you and Eric back this week.

For those with loved ones having a rough time. Don't forget that cadre videos are a great way to pass the time while you're recovering!

Good to see ya back online. Man that is some stress, but thankfully it wasn’t that “c word”. Sometimes with all the stresses put upon us, you have to look to the small, simple joys to maintain your sanity. Hang in there brother!

Nice shave too and vintage frag for the win!

Last edited:
Nice to hear from you and of course it’s good to hear that the life issues, bad as they have been, aren’t as bad as they were and are showing signs of stabilizing. It’s bad when work is a welcome distraction from life’s issues...it’s really bad when work becomes another brick on your chest as you try to deal with the pile that’s already there.
...but at least you smell good.

Good report Chris! Glad your mom is doing better. Hope the stresses don’t get ya too down!

I'm glad everything turned out alright, Chris. I saw you posting around here yesterday I think and was wondering where you had been. Good to have you back. Feel free to ignore @NurseDave. 🤣

Very good to hear that your mom is doing better, Chris.
I love those vintage frags, and the more Oakmoss the better. Another one to add to the list lol.

SR Shave #676:

A relaxing, traditional straight razor shave today - very enjoyable, and all vintage, except for the brush (Thater 2-band silvertip). I opted for the Kropp full hollow, and man oh man, is this razor still holding an excellent edge! Soap was Colgate Cup Soap (vintage, of course) - slick as all get out! Aftershave and Cologne was some vintage Avon Tai Winds. Excellent!

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving!

JXPq39H.jpg

Excellent set up Chris. I finally found a Kropp for a decent price on the bay. It's not in nearly as good a shape as yours, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it does.

SR Shave #677:

Well, it's been a while, so I thought I'd check in. Been busy, with family and work. Been shaving mostly with my DE's, been accumulating more fragrances (new and vintage), and even acquired some new brushes. Got some more fountain pens, as well as oblique holders for my round tip flex nibs that I use for Copperplate calligraphy. Still doing karate, albeit not as frequently. Bought an accoustic guitar (Yamaha FG830) about a month ago and have begun learning that. Our long coat chihuahua is almost 6 months old now and is cute as can be. Just livin' man, "L-I-V-I-N"!

Here was today's set up:

Wacker "Allround Blonde"
"Nate Special" w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic
Colgate Cup Soap (vintage)
Avon Black Suede aftershave
Avon Black Suede cologne (vintage)

Avon Black Suede cologne launched in 1980 and is one of Avon's best fragrances. It's been reformulated and is still in production, but I haven't tried the current juice. My particular bottle dates from the '80's and it's quite good - a mellow kind of warm, cleanness, leaning "barbershop-ish", but in an ambery, musky, mossy kind of way. I dig it!

LAVR5Cv.jpg

Hope all is well with everyone. For those celebrating Christmas, I wish everyone a blessed Nativity. Happy Holidays!

Back