The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #673:

I had a wonderfully relaxing shave this morning with one of my favorite straight razors - the Brian Brown. I gave it a slight refresh on the Natural Whetstone translucent Arkansas prior to the shave; and I'm tellin' ya, this edge is dialed in perfectly. What a great shave!

Of course, it helped that I had an elite soap for the razor to work with. As everyone knows, I'm a Stirling fan, and today had to be Stirling's Glastonbury. My goodness, how I dig this soap. The Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest whipped up a stellar lather!

Post shave was a splash of Speick, then the Sampson's unscented balm. Finished off with Tauerville Patch Flash EdP (sample). Oh, yes! I will be making a full bottle purchase of this one!!!

qyClUuo.jpg

Saturday's shave:

A quick, basic, but still very enjoyable shave this morning:

Razor: Merkur Progress w/Persona Red
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: Col Conk Rio Grande Lavender
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

I have come to the conclusion that glycerin soaps work very well for me; i.e. Mama Bear soaps. And this Col Conk is no exception. I've used this one in the past, and it's nice and slick. A very "utilitarian" soap, in that it gets the job done effectively - very slick - but it's lost its scent completely; so that kind of bums me out, but no worries. Like I said, very slick.

Finished up with several "glugs" of Pinaud Clubman aftershave. Excellent!

A successful, "basic", no-frills shave that was perfect for today. :cool:

Nice shave Chris! Do you get the chance to watch the GA Tech game today? Should be a good one with South Florida.

Nice shave Chris! Do you get the chance to watch the GA Tech game today? Should be a good one with South Florida.
Thanks, Don. I got to watch a few minutes of it - online, that is! Can you believe that the ACC Network is NOT available on AT&T U-Verse?!?! What a crock! Anyway, I signed up for a free trial on Hulu Live to be able to watch some of it, then cancelled the trial subscription. Glad to see GT win their first game with the new coach!

Sunday's shave:

My wife has been out of town this weekend, but is on her way back. My daughter and I ended up not going to church this morning, so that kind of bums me out. But we did get in a short bike ride around the neighborhood. I decided to go with an all Speick shave today, and it was quite refreshing. The Speick soap is "utilitarian" - gets the job done well, but lacks any "wow" factor. But it was indeed effective. It's lost most, if not all, of its scent. I've had it for probably 5 years or so. But I do like the scent of Speick - especially the aftershave and balm. Like I said, quite refreshing.

Ub6HR3J.jpg

Gillette Super Speed w/Feather//Doug Korn D7 w/Ubersoft synthetic//Speick

Monday's shave:

It's been hot down here, and dry. I'm definitely ready for fall - if it ever arrives! So for a pleasant wake up blast, I opted for a citric, orange scented set-up today. Here was the gear for the shave:

A3vHA3m.jpg

Man oh man, how I dig the scent of this Chiseled Face Santa Paula! A wonderful, natural, orange that lifts the mood and puts a smile on one's face. However, with that being said, the performance (with the water at my house) isn't anything to write home about. Even though the Rudy Vey w/Plisson L'Occitane synthetic brush whipped up what seemed like an excellent lather, the Edwin Jagger (w/Feather) wasn't impressed either and left me with a few chin weepers. Honestly, I just haven't been impressed with any of the CF soaps' performance - I'd rate them Tier 3, but the scent alone bumps 'em up to the lowest Tier 2. The scents are amazing, though, and for that reason I'll keep this tub till it runs out (and the GTB), but for future uses, I'll super-lather them with some vintage Colgate Cup Soap, or vintage Williams.

Immediate post-shave was the Santa Paul aftershave splash; and my goodness, the scent is awesome, although fleeting. But that's a good thing today, because it makes room for my newest fragrance addition, and THE BEST Neroli scented frag I've used yet! This one:

PTa8cZT.jpg

Oh...my...goodness!!! If you like neroli scented fragrances, then this is THE one! I'm a fan of Parfums de Nicolai, and have a bottle of "New York Intense". I've sampled several of her other scents, including her first neroli fragrance, "Cap Neroli" EdT, which launched in 2018 (early in the year, I think). But there is no longevity with that. Lo and behold, later in the year, she launched this EdP concentration and named it "Neroli Intense". Oh yeah! We have a winner! This is a delightfully natural neroli that actually LASTS! And the dry down is totally where it's at. Give this 45 minutes to an hour, and it becomes this orange, creamy delight. When I wore this the other day, I could still detect it 12 hours later (a skin scent by then, to be sure, but still there). The impressive characteristic about this neroli is that it doesn't go "soapy" like other ones I've tried tend to do. This one has beeswax absolute as an ingredient, and even though I have no idea what that smells like as individual note, I think that's what must be holding this scent together and giving it that creamy characteristic in the dry down. This is marvelous! And IMHO it's good for all 4 seasons, for any occasion. Love it!

Tuesday's shave:

Had a great shave this morning with some heavy hitters - here was the set up:

ogA0Gaz.jpg

Oh yeh! "Tim, the Tool Man Taylor" would be proud. This is the good stuff. And for those that don't want to have anything to do with "unisex" fragrances, then here ya go. Tabac soap and vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT (1st edition). Outstanding!!!

Can't go wrong what that set up. I'm loving the Paco Rabanne PH sample you sent me. Sadly, it's only got about one spritz left in it lol.

Catching up, but man that was one expensive Frag! And the 4ML of it works out to be a $70 freebie! Incredible.
Definitely incredible!
View attachment 8612

Hah! That was such a great show!
Yes it was. (y)
Breakin’ out the big guns ... nice!
Oh yeah! If that were the only set-up I had for the rest of my days, I wouldn't complain.
Can't go wrong what that set up. I'm loving the Paco Rabanne PH sample you sent me. Sadly, it's only got about one spritz left in it lol.
Thanks, Eric. I definitely dig the vintage Paco Rabanne PH!

SR Shave #674:

Some vintage gear today - specifically the razor, soap, and EdT......

Razor: CVH MK No2 (w/bone scales)

Soap: Wrisley Saddle Club

EdT: YSL Kouros Fraicheur

What a shave! The razor is still holding an excellent edge, courtesy of CBL's honing @CBLindsay from a long while ago. This Wrisley soap (that I got NOS) was extremely slick. And the YSL Kouros Fraicheur EdT (sample) was so good that I actually found a full bottle available online today, and have it en route. This "Fraicheur" is a flanker to the original Kouros. I could write a whole page on "King Kouros", which launched in 1981 and is still in production, but I won't - LOL. Suffice to say, that I did not like it back then at all. As a matter of fact, I'd say that Kouros is even more polarizing than the Veg and Tabac put together! However, the latest reformulation, which occured in 2017 I think, is one that I actually like, and I do have a bottle of it. The current version has completely tamed down the animalic funk from the original - which is great news for me, but woeful to the original Kouros lovers. Now, this "Fraicheur" flanker is one that I was completely unaware of until recently. It launched in 1993, and went to 1998 (I think). This is a smoother, more refined, and much more wearable Kouros for me. I dare say that I totally dig it! It's certainly unique today, and that's one aspect that I appreciate. Fraicheur is definitely the one to wear during the summer - leave the King for cooler temps (IMHO).

GTuaJUB.jpg

Back