The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #672:

This morning proved to be a great day for a traditional straight razor shave. I chose the CVH MK No2 w/bone scales, and it turned out to be a fantastic shave! It helped that I was using one of my favorite soaps, and quite possibly my favorite vetiver scented soap. The new Vie Long 2-band European White Badger brush is breaking in nicely. This is a wonderfully dense knot, and it'll be at least a month or two before I'll give a review; but my initial impression is quite favorable. Post shave was the usual Fine Snake Bite + Witch Hazel, then Sampson's unscented balm. Finished up with Lalique Encre Noire Sport EdT. Lalique has a very unique take on vetiver, and this flanker is one that I like the best of them all. However, I only use it occasionally, and that's when I just want something "different". It's not one of my favorite fragrances, but it has its place for me in the rotation.

Lots going on, busy. Hope all is well with everyone. I'll be off to work in the morning - laboring for labor day weekend.

eVzS9rj.jpg
Finished up with a Noir...say no more! :cool:

Patchouli is a magical scent. It is great on its own but you ever notice how many great smelling fragrances it in the base notes...amazing stuff.

Patchouli for the win! Nice!
Hey, he's got the Knockoff of my Greet EdT :LOL: Nice shave Chris
Smell up the cabin nicely there!
Mmm Creed...can’t go wrong there! Have a good day at work!
Thanks, Gents!
Patchouli is a magical scent. It is great on its own but you ever notice how many great smelling fragrances it in the base notes...amazing stuff.
Roger that! And indeed I have. :cool:

Back in town, and finally have some time off to get some much needed rest. One of my layovers was a good one, for a change! Had 24 hours in Manhattan, and oh, did I ever make good use of that time!

I got to the hotel about noon, and my first stop was the fragrance floor at Saks 5th Ave. My goodness! I spent at least an hour, probably more, browsing, sampling, talking with the various sales associates, and was given a few samples to take with me. I also sampled 4 on skin, and almost walked out with a bottle of Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver (phenomenal scent!), but that's available on the discount sites and I'll get it later.

Next stop was Bergdorf Goodman. Another incredible fragrance floor, where I spent another hour, at least. Most of the time was at the Guerlain section. Got a bottle of Derby for myself, sampled several, got a couple of samples for my wife, and enjoyed spending time talking all things "Guerlain". Then, as I was about to pass by the Roja Dove section, the sales associate beckoned me over. Now, I've sampled a couple of Roja Dove fragrances before, and while they were nice, they were in no way, for me, worth the extremely high price that they charge. But, since I was there, I decided to try some. Well, there was one particular scent that really "wowed" me! And I mean, "WOW"! The name of the scent is, "Great Britain". It's a leather based scent that is so good, it's beyond words! Well, just for giggles, I asked how much it was. When he told me how much the 100ml bottle of the parfum was, I just about fell over dead laughing (not out loud, of course). Oh....my.....goodness!!! If you think Creed, or Clive Christian, etc. are expensive, they're like dime store cheapies by comparison. Are you ready for this? You know how much that 100ml bottle of Great Britain costs? Ready? Are you sure? Well, here it is, and this is not a typo.....it costs $1,750. Yep, not a typo, and that's real U.S. dollars. Needless to say, I'll never have a bottle of that one!!! However, here's what totally shocked me even more! The sales associate made me a sample anyway! Free! And a generous one at that! About a 4ml atomizer! So I guess now all I have to do is stop by any Roja Dove fragrance section and try to get a sample - maybe I'll have enough to last a while. :cool:

The next morning, I made two more stops. First up was Pasteurs. I wanted to get the aftershave splash and the EdT of Floris No. 89, but all they had in stock was the aftershave, so I did get that.

LUy6jvz.jpg

I also went downtown to the Fountain Pen Hospital because I wanted to get some more paper....and, of course, to browse - just to browse - their vintage selection. Well, to make a long story short, after spending a great deal of time writing with one of their vintage flex nib pens, I walked out with it. This one:

GYDT0jy.jpg

Christmas arrived early for this kid. Now I need to go pick up some over-time! 🤪

Wow! That was one heck of a layover! I have heard that Saks is very generous with making samples of their frags. But that was really above and beyond!

LOL, just had the image from Catch Me if You Can. Chris is walking through a department store with a flight attendant on each arm while the sales people fall all over themselves to help him.

Back