The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Saturday road shave:

Still participating in the Mystic Water soap-theme-of-the-week, and I had to go with "Leather & Smoke" again. Man oh man, do I dig the scent of this one. But IMHO, it really shouldn't have the word, "smoke" in the title at all. As I've gotten more into the stick, there isn't any smoke that I can discern - and that's good, actually! I'm not big on smokey scents, truth be told. What this should be called, IMHO, is "Leather & Whiskey". It just has a booziness, that mixed with the leather, is absolutely fantastic!!! And what better fragrance to pair this with than a leather-based one.....like, oh, I don't know.....vintage Fahrenheit EdT!!!! Oh yeh, the mid-formulation one, as it doesn't have a heavy petrol note in it. I just have a sample of this one, but I'm on the hunt for a full bottle, because it's awesome!

Sunday's shave:

Finishing up Mystic Water week with, "Marrakesh". This is another favorite MW soap scent for me - totally dig it! It's nice to be home for a day to enjoy such a wonderful shave. Here was the set-up:

ydtEtOm.jpg

A great start to the day!!!

Monday's shave:

Kind of feels strange making a shaving post after reading Eric's @Smattayu - goodness. Glad you are safe, my friend. Keep us posted.

I've got to head out to work soon, so just a quick entry. I'll post more about a couple of these items when I get back home and have more time.

yzFpl85.jpg

Edwin Jagger w/Feather//Vie Long 2-band European White Badger//Haslinger Schafmilch (w/tallow)//Sampson's unscented balm//YSL Jazz EdT (vintage)

Friday's shave:

Back in town, and today's shave was flat-out-marvelous! I chose to use Cold River Soap Works "Sandalwood". My goodness, how I dig this soap! The performance is "elite" status all the way, with the post-shave moisturizing criteria being some of the best, if not THE best, of any soap out there. And the scent is off-the-charts AWESOME!!!

Finished up with a sample of some vintage Guerlain Habit Rouge EdC. I have a bottle of the vintage EdT, but have been wanting to try the EdC. I'm impressed. It's not quite as strong as the EdT, but is perfect as a splash. I'll be on the hunt for a full bottle.

Qkc3m6B.jpg

British Aristocrat #16 w/Nacet//Rudy Vey 2-band Manchurian//CRSW Sandalwood//Sampson's unscented balm//Guerlain Habit Rouge EdC (vintage)

Awesome shave and pic! And welcome back!

You may have mentioned it before and I don’t recall. What is your travel setup?

Friday's shave:

Back in town, and today's shave was flat-out-marvelous! I chose to use Cold River Soap Works "Sandalwood". My goodness, how I dig this soap! The performance is "elite" status all the way, with the post-shave moisturizing criteria being some of the best, if not THE best, of any soap out there. And the scent is off-the-charts AWESOME!!!

Finished up with a sample of some vintage Guerlain Habit Rouge EdC. I have a bottle of the vintage EdT, but have been wanting to try the EdC. I'm impressed. It's not quite as strong as the EdT, but is perfect as a splash. I'll be on the hunt for a full bottle.

Qkc3m6B.jpg

British Aristocrat #16 w/Nacet//Rudy Vey 2-band Manchurian//CRSW Sandalwood//Sampson's unscented balm//Guerlain Habit Rouge EdC (vintage)
Welcome home Chris! Oh that Aristocrat! :love:

Last edited:
Awesome shave and pic! And welcome back!

You may have mentioned it before and I don’t recall. What is your travel setup?
Thanks, Tim.

This is what I typically take with me on the road:

WKsoxxA.jpg

Razor: Gillette Mach 3 (that's my official answer)
Brush: Whipped Dog synthetic. This brush could easily be the only brush in my entire collection. It's that versatile, effective, and enjoyable.
Soaps/Creams: I always bring along samples, as well as full tubs of soaps, and/or sticks.
Aftershave: The small bottle is a leak-proof plastic bottle with a mix of Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel. And the small round container has some Sampson's unscented balm.
Frags: I always bring several samples and atomizer decants of various fragrances.

And, I always bring the "Murphy Remedy" :cool:

SR Shave #672:

This morning proved to be a great day for a traditional straight razor shave. I chose the CVH MK No2 w/bone scales, and it turned out to be a fantastic shave! It helped that I was using one of my favorite soaps, and quite possibly my favorite vetiver scented soap. The new Vie Long 2-band European White Badger brush is breaking in nicely. This is a wonderfully dense knot, and it'll be at least a month or two before I'll give a review; but my initial impression is quite favorable. Post shave was the usual Fine Snake Bite + Witch Hazel, then Sampson's unscented balm. Finished up with Lalique Encre Noire Sport EdT. Lalique has a very unique take on vetiver, and this flanker is one that I like the best of them all. However, I only use it occasionally, and that's when I just want something "different". It's not one of my favorite fragrances, but it has its place for me in the rotation.

Lots going on, busy. Hope all is well with everyone. I'll be off to work in the morning - laboring for labor day weekend.

eVzS9rj.jpg

Friday's shave:

Qkc3m6B.jpg

Hey, are you recycling photos?

Back