The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

At quick glance, your strop looked like a textured shave bowl to me. Now I want a shave bowl with a basket weave textured inside!

At quick glance, your strop looked like a textured shave bowl to me. Now I want a shave bowl with a basket weave textured inside!
:cool:
Great shave and I love the description of that edge. So I have to ask ... modern Aramis?
Thanks, Tim.....and it's modern Aramis. I got this bottle in the store about 2 or 3 or 4 years ago - I lose track of time. And IMO, Aramis has not been adversely affected by reformulations. I still think it rocks! (y) Two points to mention, however: (1) It takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to dry down to its "awesomeness". The initial blast can be harsh, which leads me into the second point....(2) Do NOT overspray this! Two vasili's is optimal, IMHO - one on the chest, and on one wrist; maybe 3 pings total if you really want to revel in it, but no more than that.

Pretty much any Asian food store should have them. It’s called a Suribachi bowl, used for grinding sesame seeds. Mom had a great huge one unsuitable for lathering 😂

Funny...I used a Mystic Water shave stick today myself! I know it is softer soap...but this stuff rocks in a stick!

Pretty much any Asian food store should have them. It’s called a Suribachi bowl, used for grinding sesame seeds. Mom had a great huge one unsuitable for lathering 😂
Hmmm, and just as I think I need to run out and look for one....I start wondering what that would do if it fell into the glass sink.

SR Shave #671:

In keeping with the "Mystic Water" soap-theme-of-the-week, I opted to use "Smoke & Leather" this morning. Last night, I had another MW soap lined up for today, but the coolish weather this morning caused me to make a last minute change. It was a good call, IMHO.

Also, I brought out the "King of the Den" for a traditional straight razor shave. My favorite SR ever, the Wacker "Allround Blonde" full hollow with horn scales. My goodness, I've got this edge totally dialed in - an all synth edge up thru 20K - and it's by far the sharpest edge I've ever attained. Man, this thing is so sharp, you could get a good shave just by looking at it long enough.

Back to the MW "Smoke & Leather" for a moment.....I totally dig the scent of this one - like, TOTALLY!!! There's not really a discernible smokey component as the name suggests, IMO, but rather it's more of a boozy vibe mixed with leather. It's marvelous - I love it. And there are many fragrance choices that will pair extremely well with this soap. The one that I chose for today is one of my favorite frags of all time - Aramis EdT. This was the fragrance that I always wanted to have as a teenager but was unable to afford. I loved it back then, and still love it today. This is one of those frags that always puts me in a good mood. Definitely walking tall this morning.

GcM3sj9.jpg
Man, powerhouse shave today! Lots of top stuff!

Wednesday's shave:

Still participating in the Mystic Water soap theme-of-the-week, and today I chose to use, "Almond Vanilla". I dig the scent of this one, and I will be working it into heavy rotation come the cold weather. It's a bit too warm right now to fully enjoy it, but enjoy it I did nonetheless. The scent of this is not complex at all - it's just what it says - almond and vanilla, with almond being the dominate note (to me). Upon first lathering, it has a marzipan smell, but further into the lathering phase, and the shave itself, it morphs into a nutty almond. It's balanced nicely with the vanilla in the background. On the SOS scale I rate it a 4/5. And performance-wise? Typical slick awesome MW!

The Rudy Vey 2-band Manchurian worked up a perfect lather for the British Aristocrat #16 to work with. Did a, rare-for-me-these-days, 3 passer for a full on BBS with no irritation of any kind. An excellent shave!

Post shave was a re-lather, cold water rinse, Fine Snake Bite + Thayers Witch Hazel, then some unscented Sampson's balm.

Finished up with a classic fragrance that launched back in 1934. This is the current formulation and I totally dig it. But it's definitely not for the younger crowd. As a matter of fact, I'll even go on record and call this a very out-dated fragrance. But having said that - it doesn't bother me one bit! I love it!! However, honestly, I wear this for myself, and wouldn't wear it for something social. It can definitely be polarizing. One risks getting the, "old man" comment, or worse. But it's basically a non-complex scent that's straight up lavender and vanilla. It's a very soothing and comforting type of effect for me. I don't have to leave for work till late today, so it'll be gone by the time I get to the office. And that's OK. Plus, the summer is definitely NOT the time to wear this. I'm wearing it this morning because there was a slight coolness to the air and I flat-out just felt like it. I'm still walking tall, no matter what anybody says. :cool:

Oh, BTW, the Mystic Water soaps that I'll be taking with me on the road will be: "Jasmine", "Smoke & Leather", and "Jeff's Lavender".

4uyTkhw.jpg

Last edited:
Friday’s road shave:

Continuing with the Mystic Water soap theme-of-the-week, I chose “Jeff’s Lavender” for this morning. I have yet to find a lavender scented shaving soap or cream that can best this one in terms of scent - it’s that good.

Paired it with Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur EdT. Excellent!!!

Friday’s road shave:

Continuing with the Mystic Water soap theme-of-the-week, I chose “Jeff’s Lavender” for this morning. I have yet to find a lavender scented shaving soap or cream that can best this one in terms of scent - it’s that good.

Paired it with Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur EdT. Excellent!!!
Awesome! Safe travels today Chris!

Back