The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Tuesday's shave:

About to head out for work in a couple of hours, and with it being so hot as of late, I felt it was time for some Acqua di Parma Colonia. Therefore......

XAtNzfY.jpg

Stirling Piacenza got the call today. Yes, yes, and yes! I totally dig this soap and it is definitely one of my favorite Stirling soap offerings, and indeed, one of my favorite shaving soaps ever. Love it! The Tuxedo synthetic whipped up an uber-slick lather, and the Merkur Progress w/Persona Red provided an elite level shave! Marvelous!

Immediate post shave was a re-lather, cold water rinse, then Sampson's unscented balm. Finished off with one of the greatest fragrances of all time - a classic for a reason - Acqua di Parma Colonia. Awesome juice! The trick to getting good longevity with this, after several pings, is to give a couple additional to your shirt. "That's the ticket!" I'm now ready to get back to the grind. :cool:

Saturday's shave:

Back in town, and it feels good to finally have some "down" time. This past trip was actually not too bad - not nearly as fatiguing as the trips of late. As a matter of fact, I had a nice New Orleans layover where I was able to visit the National World War II Museum. I had heard so much about it, that I wanted to make a point of checking it out. Let me state, in no uncertain terms, that it far exceeded my expectations! I need to go back again, no doubt. Oh, BTW, I ate lunch at, "Mother's" - jambalaya.......Also, had a nice phone con with Tim @MilkCrate discussing razors and honing and whatnot.

So this morning's shave......Well, the weather temp this morning had an almost coolness to it (although it'll be short-lived), so I knew it was time to use a fragrance that I had received in the mail about a week or so ago. This one.....

p86oluY.jpg

This is a vintage bottle of Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT from 1996. My goodness, how I dig the Habit Rouge. This vintage bottle is excellent! I won't say that it's "better" than the current formulation, but is different. And like I said, it's excellent. Compared to the current formulation that I have, the vintage is not nearly as powdery. Now, is that due to the difference in formulation, or just a function of time erasing the powdery-ness? I don't know the answer to that one. Also, it seems as if the citrus top note is more dominate in the vintage, but again, is it due to the lack of the powder, or actually more citrus? Again, IDK. I do think that the sandalwood and vanilla drydown is more discernible in the vintage, but maybe it's just my imagination. In terms of projection, sillage, and longevity, I'd say both are equal. All in all, I definitely dig it!

As far as the actual shave set-up, I decided to us the following: my Edwin Jagger razor w/Feather and a handle that I can't remember where I got it from, vintage Colgate Cup Soap, one of my ShaverJoe brushes with an Ubersoft synthetic knot, Fine Snake Bite + Witch Hazel, Sampson's unscented balm, and then the Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT.

Marvelous! Feeling good and walking tall.

5ebxrBE.jpg

Back in town, and it feels good to finally have some "down" time. This past trip was actually not too bad - not nearly as fatiguing as the trips of late. As a matter of fact, I had a nice New Orleans layover where I was able to visit the National World War II Museum. I had heard so much about it, that I wanted to make a point of checking it out. Let me state, in no uncertain terms, that it far exceeded my expectations! I need to go back again, no doubt. Oh, BTW, I ate lunch at, "Mother's" - jambalaya.......Also, had a nice phone con with Tim @MilkCrate discussing razors and honing and whatnot.

I feel that way every time I go to the WWII museum. It is just so damn awesome and I recommend that EVERYONE visit if they can!

Glad you finally got a trip to Louisiana where the power didn't go out on you! 🤪

Jambalaya at Mother's? Oh man you should have gone with the Ferdi...but their jambalaya is pretty good too. Next time...check out Steins Deli. It's not too far from there. Or if you want a sit down meal...I definitely have some recommendations!

I almost went with the Ferdi! Next time I'm there, I'll be sure to hit you up for plenty of recommendations. And yes, it was nice to have power! :cool:

The closest town to me is Eldred, PA. It's about 5 miles down the road. In the 2017 census there was a whopping 780 people living there. BUT, we have a WWII museum there also. Not a national one obviously, but it gets a pretty big draw from a large area.
They actually just got a donation of a Dodge ambulance all the way from North Carolina. It was opened because there used to be a munitions factory here that produced bombs and mortars during the war.
I'm there quite a bit, but usually to BS with Steve or Jesse. (the two that really run the place) I'll try to remember to get a couple pictures next time I'm down there.

Saturday's shave:

So this morning's shave......Well, the weather temp this morning had an almost coolness to it (although it'll be short-lived), so I knew it was time to use a fragrance that I had received in the mail about a week or so ago. This one.....

p86oluY.jpg

This is a vintage bottle of Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT from 1996. My goodness, how I dig the Habit Rouge. This vintage bottle is excellent! I won't say that it's "better" than the current formulation, but is different. And like I said, it's excellent. Compared to the current formulation that I have, the vintage is not nearly as powdery. Now, is that due to the difference in formulation, or just a function of time erasing the powdery-ness? I don't know the answer to that one. Also, it seems as if the citrus top note is more dominate in the vintage, but again, is it due to the lack of the powder, or actually more citrus? Again, IDK. I do think that the sandalwood and vanilla drydown is more discernible in the vintage, but maybe it's just my imagination. In terms of projection, sillage, and longevity, I'd say both are equal. All in all, I definitely dig it!

As far as the actual shave set-up, I decided to us the following: my Edwin Jagger razor w/Feather and a handle that I can't remember where I got it from, vintage Colgate Cup Soap, one of my ShaverJoe brushes with an Ubersoft synthetic knot, Fine Snake Bite + Witch Hazel, Sampson's unscented balm, and then the Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT.

Marvelous! Feeling good and walking tall.

5ebxrBE.jpg
1996 is vintage now?! Oh dear...

Fun New Orleans stop! With jambalaya no less! Glad you’re safely back at home base!

The closest town to me is Eldred, PA. It's about 5 miles down the road. In the 2017 census there was a whopping 780 people living there. BUT, we have a WWII museum there also. Not a national one obviously, but it gets a pretty big draw from a large area.
They actually just got a donation of a Dodge ambulance all the way from North Carolina. It was opened because there used to be a munitions factory here that produced bombs and mortars during the war.
I'm there quite a bit, but usually to BS with Steve or Jesse. (the two that really run the place) I'll try to remember to get a couple pictures next time I'm down there.
Cool. (y) Definitely post some pics when you can.
1996 is vintage now?! Oh dear...
I know, right? When I think, "vintage", I think several decades, not just a couple! :cool:

Would love to see pics of the place!

SR Shave #670:

A late Sunday evening post, but this was the set-up earlier today:

07w34z2.jpg

Re-honed the Belbo yet again - there is a slight geometry issue with the spine on one side which makes it challenging to get the entire edge. Went Chosera 1K, Naniwa 3K, then LV coti the rest of the way.

Grade: C

Meh, it shaves. Got 3 passes and walked away just fine, but this blade will be hitting the auction block. I'm done messin' with this one.

At any rate, still an enjoyable shave. The soap was dynamite - I totally dig this scent. The monster Rudy Vey Shavemac Silvertip @32/64 whipped up an excellent lather. And the Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT was the perfect accompaniment.

Homefront: took our daughter to see the new, "Lion King" movie. She enjoyed it, as did my wife, but they both said that the original animated one had a bit more humor. I wouldn't know, as I never saw the original. I thought this new one was decent enough I suppose.

I'm with you on the full hollow preference. Tried a wedge before and no matter how well it did on a hht it always seemed to tug.

Monday's shave:

Starting the week off with one of my favorite soaps. I'll be participating in this week's soap theme of "Mystic Water", and am starting off with this one:

4GDyCxP.jpg

Love, love, love - totally dig this Coconut Sandalwood!!!!! I finally had to get a replacement puck - that's how much I dig it! My goodness, what a shave.

This Thater 2-band silvertip fan whipped up the best lather that can be imagined. Ultra, uber-slick! The EJ w/Feather glided along effortlessly. And the scent? Fuggetaboutit! One of the best ever! What more can be said that hasn't been said already about this particular offering - marvelous. A masterpiece, I dare say.

Post-shave was a re-lather (yes, please!); cold water rinse; Kiehl's aftershave balm; Sampson's unscented balm; then Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT (vintage). Yes, yes, and YES! Definitely walking tall this morning! What a stellar way to start the week!

There's a man that sounds like he's ready to take on the world! Or at least ready for coffee.

SR Shave #671:

In keeping with the "Mystic Water" soap-theme-of-the-week, I opted to use "Smoke & Leather" this morning. Last night, I had another MW soap lined up for today, but the coolish weather this morning caused me to make a last minute change. It was a good call, IMHO.

Also, I brought out the "King of the Den" for a traditional straight razor shave. My favorite SR ever, the Wacker "Allround Blonde" full hollow with horn scales. My goodness, I've got this edge totally dialed in - an all synth edge up thru 20K - and it's by far the sharpest edge I've ever attained. Man, this thing is so sharp, you could get a good shave just by looking at it long enough.

Back to the MW "Smoke & Leather" for a moment.....I totally dig the scent of this one - like, TOTALLY!!! There's not really a discernible smokey component as the name suggests, IMO, but rather it's more of a boozy vibe mixed with leather. It's marvelous - I love it. And there are many fragrance choices that will pair extremely well with this soap. The one that I chose for today is one of my favorite frags of all time - Aramis EdT. This was the fragrance that I always wanted to have as a teenager but was unable to afford. I loved it back then, and still love it today. This is one of those frags that always puts me in a good mood. Definitely walking tall this morning.

GcM3sj9.jpg

Back