The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Saturday's shave:

Today was an uplifting, summer shave set-up. I chose to use MdC "Agrumes" for a few reasons: it's a perfect summer soap choice, it is the GREATEST, most natural smelling lemon scented shaving soap I've ever used, and it is an effective positive mood enhancer. My goodness, how I dig this soap! This is one of those soaps where if it were the only soap available to me for the rest of my life, I'd be perfectly happy and content with it. Yes, that good.

The Merkur w/Persona Red worked effortlessly from the outstanding lather generated by the Rudy Vey 2-band Manchurian brush. Marvelous!

Immediate post-shave was a re-lather, cold water rinse, then Sampson's unscented balm. Finished up with Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EdP. This fragrance is flat-out-dynamite! Love it!!

xnhBZ2Y.jpg

Sunday's shave:

A quick entry this afternoon, after returning from Divine Liturgy.

Had another "summery shave" and it was quite refreshing and enjoyable.

The soap was Saint Charles Shave, "Smoke & Beads". My oh my, how I dig this soap! The performance is flat-out elite status for me here at home. And the scent is absolutely wonderful! It's got an orange blossom vibe to it, which I totally dig. It's also got some patchouli and sandalwood, according to the note breakdown, but I don't really notice them individually. I guess those "round" it all out and give it some "smoothness". The "Eric Custom" cashmere brush created an outstanding lather for the Merkur Progress to do its magic. Excellent!

Post shave, in keeping with the orange scent, had to be Lucky Tiger aftershave (plus a little splash of Fine Snake Bite mixed with it), and Guerlain's Eau de Cologne du Coq. Marvelous orange-ey summertime goodness.

s5wOH6M.jpg

Today I used GTB and was thinking I need Eric to make me a brush that goes with how GTB smells. I think the tone of the wood you have in that brush and the knot are perfect. I'll just need some dust and grime and a little bit of the trail look to it.

SR Shave #669:

It's Monday, and my daughter's first day back at school. Now that the house is quiet, I had plenty of time to enjoy a traditional straight razor shave. I chose to give the Torrey quarter hollow another go. I re-honed it first, on the LV coticule, using the "unicot" method.

Result: Grade B-

The edge is still not quite "there", but almost. I still was able to get a good, 2-pass shave with it.

Finished up with some Paladin unscented balm, and then some vintage Hugo Boss Spirit EdT (sample).

Boss Spirit launched in 1989 and is no longer in production. It's described, according to Fragrantica, as a "....masculine, woody, chypre, aromatic, and leather composition that opens with artemisia, peppermint, aldehydes, green note, wormwood and galbanum. The heart features lavender, tarragon, and geranium, while the base consists of sandalwood, leather, amber, and patchouli."

My untrained nose cannot pick out all those individual notes, but I can discern the wood, green, and amber notes. This is a really nice fragrance, and best suited for fall or spring, IMHO, although I'm not having any trouble with it now. I might just buy a full bottle of this in a couple of months - we'll see. :cool:

ITgXPCo.jpg

Okay...I was on board with that shave until you used Tabac... 🤪

All joking aside the Hugo Boss EdT sounds like a great signature/power scent!

Okay...I was on board with that shave until you used Tabac... 🤪

All joking aside the Hugo Boss EdT sounds like a great signature/power scent!
Thanks, Don. The Boss Spirit isn't what I would call how a power scent, although it does have some good longevity. It's mainly a woody scent to me. I've got enough of the sample to use a couple more times, but I'm going to wait till cool weather. Then I'll be able to give a more "valid" assessment.

Tuesday's shave:

About to head out the door for work, so here was the set-up (same as I used a couple months back):

KcAzkkI.jpg

My goodness! What a shave!! And how I dig the Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT!!! This vintage bottle is the "3rd edition", circa 1991-1995. If you are a major fan of oak moss is fragrances, then the first three "editions" of Paco Rabanne PH are definitely for you! Love it, love it, love it!

Back