The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Great stuff Chris!
Thanks, Tim.
Some great shaves in there, Chris, but the snack pic wins lol.
Thanks, Eric. And good grief, Traverse City was packed with tourists! I didn't realize that the Cherry Festival was happening that week.
Gorgeous BB SR! Love the scent choices today...freshness for days!
Great shave and razor!
Great stuff, Chris. Love that BRW!
Great set up Chris
Awesome shave and pic...as usual!
Many thanks, Gents!

Wednesday's shave:

It never ceases to amaze me how powerful the sense of smell is. And I'm talking more about the positive effects it can have on one's attitude; for instance, conjuring fond memories, or just putting oneself in a great mood. The latter was the case for me with this morning's shave. The scents of this morning's set up has put me in a very calm, and "even keel" disposition right now - a welcome state, given the stress and fatigue of late.

I'm still participating in the soap/cream theme this week, and the letter is, "W", so I opted to use Wheat State Soaps, "Sweet Tobacco". This particular soap has a scent profile that I've come to totally dig over the past few years. My goodness, how I love the scent of this soap. Now, I will say, it's not unique, as there are others that smell nearly identical - WSP's Formula T "Tobacco" immediately comes to mind. But this is just dynamite for me. And I'll say that it's not a "sweet" smell at all, as Wheat State Soaps has labeled it, oh no. None of that cloying sweetness yuck like Alt Innsbruck aftershave, thankfully! To me, this is a wonderfully clean, fresh, "green" scent. There is no "tobacco product smell" like cigars, pipes, cigarettes, etc. Nope, none of that. And it also has some bay leaf which gives it some "zing". Like I said, it smells fresh and clean, and dare I say, "soothing". Awesome!

Performance-wise, this soap is high Tier 1. It's really excellent. I've used seven different Wheat State Soaps scents, and I like this Sweet Tobacco the best, but a close second is their "7 Mile". When I knew I was going to use Wheat States for today's shave, I decided I "needed" to buy a tub of the 7 Mile for the remainder of the summer. However, sadly, they appear to be out of business. Their website is no longer operational. And a google search gave no further information. Bummer.

Immediate post shave was a re-lather, cold water rinse, then Kiehl's aftershave balm. Now, what fragrance to use? That was a good question. I had several in mind, but since it had rained, and it was still overcast and kind of gloomy looking, I opted for a fragrance that I generally don't use in the summer, but just felt like using anyway. And that would be, Dior Fahrenheit EdT. Just one ping - that's it, only one to the chest - only one. Yes! Perfect. I'm still in my "happy place" and ready to face the day!

uw6a29Y.jpg

Great descriptions of your choices today!

It’s funny, my son has a serious gluten allergy, so there’s a running joke in my family that every time we see the word “wheat” we replace it with “death” when he’s around. So something like Frosted Mini Wheats would be Frosted Mini Death. Or “Oh look, the main ingredient is death!” Your soap just made me think of it. :ROFLMAO:

Nice stuff Chris. I've never had a scent transport me in time or to a memory really but I do notice they can be calming and affect the moods I have. Nice thoughts !!

And here's a pick of a delicious snack that I had while in Traverse City (Cherry Capital of the world, eh):

Hopefully you didn't run into any of my relatives (yup...mom and dad were both from there and most of my family still lives there)..believe me...it's not a pretty sight! Too bad you didn't land there a couple days earlier...you could have hit up the Cherry Festival!

Great descriptions of your choices today!

It’s funny, my son has a serious gluten allergy, so there’s a running joke in my family that every time we see the word “wheat” we replace it with “death” when he’s around. So something like Frosted Mini Wheats would be Frosted Mini Death. Or “Oh look, the main ingredient is death!” Your soap just made me think of it. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, Chris. Glad I don't have a wheat allergy. :cool:
I agree, the sense of smell can really take you back to specific period of time or even a specific memory of an event. It's amazing.
Roger that.
Really enjoy the Wheat State Soaps. Good stuff.
Wish they were still around.
Nice stuff Chris. I've never had a scent transport me in time or to a memory really but I do notice they can be calming and affect the moods I have. Nice thoughts !!
Thanks, Dave.
Well said, Chris.
Thanks, Eric.
Hopefully you didn't run into any of my relatives (yup...mom and dad were both from there and most of my family still lives there)..believe me...it's not a pretty sight! Too bad you didn't land there a couple days earlier...you could have hit up the Cherry Festival!
The Cherry Festival was going on when I was there - that's why it was so packed.
One ping only ... very nice!
Exactly! (y)

Thursday's shave:

Almost done with the alphabet soap/cream theme, and today was the letter, "X".

For me, it was a no-brainer: Stirling EXecutive Man!

0EJ35Yj.jpg

My goodness, how I dig this soap!!! Elite status all the way, in both performance and scent! Love it!

The Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest whipped up an awesome lather for the Merkur Progress. Finished up with Executive Man splash, then the real deal Creed Aventus EdP. Amazing. Simply amazing!

Outstanding! I have the soap sample from Stirling and will be getting the set when I finish off the CC Venture.

Excellent shave Chris! After finally having been able to try real Creed (the new Aventus Cologne) and the wife loving it, I can say it’s on the long term acquisition list!

Outstanding! I have the soap sample from Stirling and will be getting the set when I finish off the CC Venture.
I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. :cool:
Excellent shave Chris! After finally having been able to try real Creed (the new Aventus Cologne) and the wife loving it, I can say it’s on the long term acquisition list!
Thanks, Chris. I haven't tried the new Avenus "Cologne" that launched this year. I suppose it's a lighter version of the EdP?
Great lineup!
Thanks!

Thanks, Chris. I haven't tried the new Avenus "Cologne" that launched this year. I suppose it's a lighter version of the EdP?
I’ve not tried the original unfortunately, only it’s clones. The Aventus profile is definitely there in the Cologne - citrusy/pineapple burst up front and very light peppery/smoky dry down, along with some other scents. Their official descriptors include “watery” and “fresh”. It’s supposed to be more unisex, but I find it to be very masculine still. It’s great!

Friday's shave:

We're almost done with the soap/cream alphabet theme - today is the letter, "Y". I didn't even have to think about this one...........

WFc9czY.jpg

Yardley "English Lavender" was the obvious choice for me. My goodness, this is some seriously uber-slick soap! The Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top whipped up a spectacularly unctuous lather today. And believe it or not, it exhibited some post shave moisturizing which I had not experienced from previous uses. I didn't even use any aftershave immediate post shave. About 20 minutes later, I did use just a tad of Sampson's unscented balm for good measure. But this soap is definitely elite status! The Edwin Jagger w/Perma Sharp had no difficulties today whatsoever.

Finished up with Creed Green Irish Tweed EdP. I'm just now getting a chance to post this entry, but when I went out earlier this morning, I actually got a random compliment, which is a rarity for me. I have to say, I totally dig GIT, as everyone knows. It is probably my #1 favorite Creed fragrance. I have three Creeds in what I call my "Creed Trifecta": GIT, Bois du Portugal, and Aventus. (Imperiale ranks fourth). I vacillate between GIT and BdP as to which is my favorite, but I'd probably have to say GIT because it's so versatile. It's good in all four seasons, dressed up or down, casual or formal. Love it! (BTW, 3 pings this morning) :cool:

Back