The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #665:
Got a new soap in the mail the other day. It's actually one that I've had in the past, but am re-visiting it. I'm talking about Cold River Soap Works (CRSW) "Sandalwood". This is one from the "select" line, and not the "glide" line.

I have used 7 different CRSW scents over the past few years, including both "select" and "glide" versions, and in terms of performance, I cannot tell a difference between the two, to be honest. The difference is in the soap "consistency". The "glide" is almost a cream, whereas the "select" is a hard packed soap and smoothed on top. I actually prefer the consistency of the "select". Both are uber-slick. And both have outstanding post shave moisturizing properties - among the best there is!

In terms of this sandalwood scent, IMHO, it is quite possibly the greatest sandalwood scent that I've ever encountered in a shaving soap or cream, and I'm not even kidding. It's flat-out-wonderful! And it's the "sweet" variety, not an "earthy" one. I totally dig it!!!

Finished up with the CRSW Post Shave Creme. Now this is a new product to me. Let me use it a few more times to give an impression, but what I will say thus far is that the scent is very subtle (a good thing) and does not linger, so it won't interfere with any fragrances one chooses. I opted to use Dior Eau for Men EdT this morning.

What a shave! That's all I can say, really. Nothing more to add. A good start to the day.

QDj4JUo.jpg

So it's a little closer to Proraso sandalwood? I love that particular sandalwood.

In terms of this sandalwood scent, IMHO, it is quite possibly the greatest sandalwood scent that I've ever encountered in a shaving soap or cream, and I'm not even kidding. It's flat-out-wonderful! And it's the "sweet" variety, not an "earthy" one. I totally dig it!!!
Them’s fightin words! :oops:

Glad it’s a winner!

I hear you about glide being a cream consistency. Have that Fragile Confusion glide in wax paper inside and envelope heading your way. Hope the goop makes it 😂😂

So it's a little closer to Proraso sandalwood? I love that particular sandalwood.
No, quite the opposite, IMHO. I've grouped sandalwood soap scents into three categories: Sweet, Earthy, and Spicy. Sweet is like this CRSW, AoS, and also Beehive. Earthy is like Proraso Red. And spicy is like DR Harris.
Them’s fightin words! :oops:

Glad it’s a winner!
I know what you mean, as the AoS Sandalwood cream has been my favorite, and still is a favorite! But I gotta say that this CRSW edges it out.
I hear you about glide being a cream consistency. Have that Fragile Confusion glide in wax paper inside and envelope heading your way. Hope the goop makes it 😂😂
Roger that, Dave. And thanks in advance!
Nice looking razor! Sounds like the CRSW Sandalwood is a winner!
Thanks; and it I dig it.
I think Proraso leans more earthy. But what do I know.
My thoughts exactly.
Great looking setup!

That is high praise indeed.
Thanks, Tim.
Likely more than me
But what do I know either? :cool:

Friday's shave:

A quick entry, sans photo, because I got called to work, so out the door in a few....

Same soap as yesterday: CRSW Sandalwood. Yes, yes, and yes! Diggin' it!

Merkur Progress - excellent!

Doug Korn D7 w/Ubersoft synthetic - excellent!

Post was a Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel combo

Fragrance of the day was Guerlain Vetiver EdT. Oh yeh!

Gotta go!

Well, I don't do sandalwood, but that's a lovely picture as usual.

I've only tried CRSW once, and I can't remember which formulation it was. I remember being impressed with it, but never got around to pulling the trigger. I love a soap with quality post-shave properties though, so it might be time.

I have to agree...that both the CRSW Select and Glide are VERY good. Both are solidly Tier One soaps in my opinion...maybe even teetering on Elite. I think the Glide might be a bit easier to get stupid slick...but I'm with you...both the Glide and Select are neck and neck good! Oddly, I have the CRSW Aftershave Balm and you are right...the scent is amazing! I think I still like the AoS or the Fine Sandalwood scents a little better. But the CRSW seems to be a bit more organic and is a very close second to me. While we are on the topic of Sandalwood scents...I know we don't talk much about it around here...while I know it isn't really a true Sandalwood...I still love the TOBS Sandalwood scent as well! Be safe at work!

Go, go, go! Have a great day!
Well, I don't do sandalwood, but that's a lovely picture as usual.
Rinse and repeat! Good stuff!
Good quick entry. What works works in a hurry too.
Thanks, Gents!
I've only tried CRSW once, and I can't remember which formulation it was. I remember being impressed with it, but never got around to pulling the trigger. I love a soap with quality post-shave properties though, so it might be time.
I'm very much impressed with the post-shave properties.
I have to agree...that both the CRSW Select and Glide are VERY good. Both are solidly Tier One soaps in my opinion...maybe even teetering on Elite. I think the Glide might be a bit easier to get stupid slick...but I'm with you...both the Glide and Select are neck and neck good! Oddly, I have the CRSW Aftershave Balm and you are right...the scent is amazing! I think I still like the AoS or the Fine Sandalwood scents a little better. But the CRSW seems to be a bit more organic and is a very close second to me. While we are on the topic of Sandalwood scents...I know we don't talk much about it around here...while I know it isn't really a true Sandalwood...I still love the TOBS Sandalwood scent as well! Be safe at work!
Roger all, Don. And speaking of the TOBS sandalwood scent....I totally dig it! But I don't consider it an actual sandalwood scent. I'm perplexed that it's even labeled "Sandalwood", truth be told. To me, it's a complex, spicy, "ambery", somewhat herbal, "cologney" type scent, with some incense, and powder. Like I said, I dig it. I also consider it an "old man" scent, which is right up my alley! :cool:

Back