The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

“Please keep all blades locked in their properly angled positions as we come in for the razor touch down. You might feel some slight turbulence as we make dermal contact, not to worry though, we’ll get you to your BBS Air Station terminal on time.”
Can't believe you didn't conclude with "and with as little irritation as possible"

I know we would like videos from everyone because it's cool to place a personality and face with people. But with Chris I want to hear his pilot voice. "Uhhhh, welcome to my shave we're happy to have you with us today, uhhhhhh, today we'll be using the Merkur, uhh Progress with, uhhhhhh...."

As a person who has talked to Chris...on the phone at least...yes...his voice is probably what you expect. He speaks in a very even tone and precise manner! Still waiting for you to get back to Baton Rouge...that is when the city doesn't lose it's power! 🤪

Many thanks, Gents! There's much stress in my world right now, and y'all make me laugh; I very much appreciate it!

As a person who has talked to Chris...on the phone at least...yes...his voice is probably what you expect. He speaks in a very even tone and precise manner! Still waiting for you to get back to Baton Rouge...that is when the city doesn't lose it's power! 🤪
One of these days, Don - one of these days. :cool:

Sunday's shave:

Another "about-to-head-out-for-work" quick entry. Finishing up the soap/cream theme week with one of CBL's early test batches, "Old Spice". Wonderful soap with a pleasing scent indeed. It is very much like Old Spice, but with some "freshness". It almost has a mint note mixed in, and thus I immediately knew that the post shave fragrance had to be Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee. Marvelous shave!

Finished up with Guerlain Vetiver aftershave splash. Then I layered Guerlain Vetiver EdT with the Homme L'Eau Boisee EdT. Outstanding! Now it's off to work again. Next month I'll finally get some Sundays off to be able to get to church. Hope y'all are having a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Y3s9ei0.jpg

Chris is blending his own EdT now. When one high end fragrance is just too plain...
:cool: Actually, and I was going to mention this in my post if I had had the time, there's a reason I layer those two (actually, two reasons). One is, that during the dog days of summer, sometimes the Guerlain Vetiver by itself is a bit much, so I "lighten" it up, or "freshen" it up with the L'Eau Boisee and it works great. The second is that the L'Eau Boisee by itself is somewhat "static" on my skin, meaning it doesn't change/evolve much over time, and I can give it some "depth" by adding one ping of the Vetiver.
Great shave! Amazing Pic!
Thanks, Don.
Nice shave Chris! Have a safe day at work!
Thanks, Chris.
Nice shave and a great looking setup!
Thanks, Tim.

Monday's shave:

Finally! Finally!! I've got some days off!!! Crazy weather....crazy! Crazy weather means crazy days at the office. But it's all good now.

I know that it's "citrus week" for the soap/cream theme of the week, but I just felt like something else today. Actually, it wasn't that I wanted to use a different type of soap, but rather I knew that I "had" to use a certain fragrance today, and a citrus soap just would not work with it. But I'll get to some citrus soaps this week, no doubt!

Today "needed" to be a vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme day for me. My goodness, how I dig, dig, DIG, this fragrance! I totally love it - like, TOTALLY!!! This is definitely one of the greatest men's fragrances ever! Like I've said before, there's nothing, and I mean NOTHING, "unisex" about this. And I'll also add, if I haven't opined previously, that IMO it's for the "mature" gentlemen. I really think that this is more appreciated by the over 35 crowd. But that's not to say that younger guys can't wear it - I'm not saying that all. If a younger fella likes vintage fragrances (read that as "old man" fragrances), then go for it! I, however, can't seem to get enough of this. I am enamored with this fragrance, and can't believe that it's taken me this long to "discover" it. But perhaps it's because I had smelled this many years ago and just didn't like it, and now that I'm a "hey you kids, get off my lawn" cranky old man, it suits me. When I wear it, my wife doesn't really care for it, or to be more accurate, she's indifferent to it (she gave me the "it smells dated"), but I don't care! That's right, this is one of the rare times, with regards to fragrance choice, that it doesn't matter what she thinks - I wear this one for me! The scent of this fragrance has it all for me - most importantly, for some reason, it has a "calming effect" and an "uplifting effect" on my mood. This just works for me - love it!

BTW, the particular vintage version that I used today, was the "4th Edition" (circa 1996-2002), as noted by basenoters. It might actually be my favorite of the six editions. Soon, I might write a comparison of all six, as I finally have a bottle of the 1st edition en route. But today, it's the 4th Edition.

Oh, the shave.....excellent. Used Palmolive stick today, and it was a perfect choice. The scent has faded quite a bit to where it's only about a 1/5 on the SOS scale, but it's still quite pleasant. And the performance is solid Tier 1, which is great! I'm not sure why it flies under the radar without much "buzz", but it's an excellent soap. The Rudy Vey w/Shavemac Finest whipped up an outstanding lather for the Merkur 34c w/GSB to give its usual outstanding result.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but it was nice to finally be able to spend some time here on the forum. Hope all is well with everyone!

h4LQ4pa.jpg

Wednesday's shave:

I've been working so much that I got my days confused. I just noticed that I labeled yesterday's shave as Monday, when it should have read Tuesday. Oh well, today is titled correctly.

Citrus is the soap/cream theme of the week, so I've started it off with Mike's, "Bergamot, Orange, Ylang- Ylang". This is my favorite Mike's soap, and indeed, one of my favorite soaps overall. Wonderful scent! And of course, the performance is elite status for me with the water at my house. However, I will say that I have to use a dense badger brush, or a synthetic, to get the best lather. A boar brush does not yield as satisfactory a lather for some reason.

The shave was excellent. The Super Speed (w/Perma Sharp) did its job well. Post shave was a few "glugs" of Lucky Tiger aftershave & facial tonic mixed with just a bit of Fine Snake Bite. Finished everything off with Dunhill Icon EdP. Marvelous!!!

mvcOIAs.jpg

Back