The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Tuesday's shave:

In town for at least one day, and I thought I'd hop on the alphabet soap theme. I'm combining the letters, "O" and "P", to get caught up, and went with Mike's Natural Soaps, "Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper".

Ah yes, this one used to be my favorite Mike's scented soap, now it's second. It was unseated by his new, "Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-Ylang". But both are awesome!!! Make no mistake about that!

What an excellent shave this morning - all components at their best!

The Thater 2-band whipped up a stellar, uber-slick lather, which made the Merkur 34c's job easy. BTW, as an aside.....this Thater "Funf" 2-band fan is definitely one of my favorite brushes - hands down! I give it my highest recommendation (FWIW).

Immediate post-shave was a re-lather, cold water rinse, then Sampson's Unscented Balm.

Finished up with Bulgari Aqua Amara EdT. Oh yeh! A great pairing, and a great start to this summer day!!

DI3cU2V.jpg

Wednesday's shave:

Sticking with the soap/cream theme this week, today is the letter, "Q". I was torn between Reef Point Soaps "Tranquility", or another one. I opted for "another".....

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

yujHNd3.jpg

I......love......this.....stuff!!!!! Totally diggin' it. This is my absolute favorite Penhaligon's fragrance. And the British Aristocrat #16 (w/Persona Red) liked it too.

Now, it's off to work. No holiday for me. Won't be back till Sunday. But I will be taking along soaps to continue with the alphabet theme, so stay tuned.

Hope everyone else has a happy and safe 4th of July!

Back in town, but I do have to go back out again tomorrow, just for the day. Good grief, I'm worn out!

Anyway, here are the soaps/creams that I used whilst on the road, in keeping with the soap/cream theme:

July 4th:
NNzmHu4.jpg

July 5th:
GKfAAX0.jpg

July 6th:
rQPhB7S.jpg

July 7th:
kfMwZbW.jpg

And here's a pick of a delicious snack that I had while in Traverse City (Cherry Capital of the world, eh):
weaAhrw.jpg

Monday's shave:

In keeping with the soap/cream theme, today is the letter, "U". I chose to use this.....

PannaCrema "Nuavia Blu"

lOTMx3W.jpg

I totally dig the scent of the "Blu"! I think it's my favorite of the three Nuavia scents. It's a complex, wonderful, "can't-get-enough" type scent. Love it! Performance-wise, it's the highest Tier 1 for me at my house. Even though it's just a notch below "elite" status, I'll always have it, just because of the scent.

The Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band silvertip whipped up a very nice lather for the British Aristocrat #16. Had an extremely satisfying and enjoyable shave.

Post shave was some Superior 70 bay rum + witch hazel, then a re-rinse with the bloomed Nuavia water that I had set aside. Then some Sampson's unscented balm. Finished up with Creed Bois du Portugal EdP (One of my favorite Creed's and indeed, one of my favorite fragrances). Yes! An excellent start to the day!

Last edited:
Tuesday's shave:

This morning felt like a traditional straight razor kind of day, so I went with the Brian Brown. I gave it a slight refresh first; just water only laps on the little Les Lat coti, then some light laps on the Natural Whetstone Translucent Ark. Excellent result!

The soap of choice, in keeping with today's soap/cream theme of the letter "V", is none other than Valobra. Valobra's "Patchouly", to be exact. Man oh man, is this some excellent soap! The slickness is in the "uber-slick" category, and the scent is sublime. It's not really a patch scent to me, much more subtle. But my goodness, I dig it. This is the polar opposite, in terms of a patch scent, to Stirling "Glastonbury". The performance of this soap is interesting to me, because it totally reminds me of using a vintage soap. If you've never tried a vintage soap, either because you've just never had the chance, or you get the willie's thinking about using an old puck of soap, then this is the soap to try because it feels very much like a vintage soap. The only knock I can give this Valobra (and it's not a knock for my use) is that it doesn't have anything in the way of "post shave moisturizing". It rinses clean and quick, just like the other vintage soaps that I've used.

Post shave was a re-lather (oh man, that scent is so awesome!), cold water rinse, then a mix of Alpa Carnation + Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel. Then a dab of Sampson's unscented balm. Finished everything off with another day of Creed Bois de Portugal EdP. The day has started off nicely!

bC01LMl.jpg

Back