The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Sunday's shave:

This early morning's shave was on the road, but back in town now. I took with me the other Catie's Bubbles sample that I've had for a long while, the "Purple Grapefruit". The label description of the scent reads, "a relaxing blend of lavender and grapefruit". Yeh, I suppose that covers it, but the scent is very subtle once lathered; it's actually more noticeable before lathering. For the shave itself, I rate the SOS at only a 1/5. Performance was good with the water in Fargo, ND; not "elite", but definitely "good". BTW, as a sidebar: not much happenin' in Fargo.

Post shave was a re-lather, cold water rinse, then some Sampson's unscented balm. Finished everything off with my sample of the 4th edition (circa 1996-2002 according to a basenoter) of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT. I totally dig this juice! I haven't tried the original (1st edition) but of the ones that I have tried, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th (which is the current one), I actually like this 4th edition the best. It has a clean, soapiness in the dry down, to go along with the other good stuff. The 2nd and 3rd are heavier on the oak moss. The 5th is similar to the 4th in scent, but doesn't have as much longevity, nor is as "rich". The 6th? Forget about it - not worth owning.

Monday's shave:

I love it when I get Mystic Water soap dialed in! Such was the case today. And Michelle's "Jasmine" is perhaps the greatest floral scented shaving soap available - absolutely marvelous.

A "basic" shave this morning, and it was totally satisfying!

The Merkur 34c w/GSB did its usual outstanding job. The Simpson CH2 "super" (that I recently got) whipped up a stellar lather. The soap was MW uber slick. Finished off with Pinaud Clubman aftershave. Man oh man, how I dig the Clubman. I really should use it more often.

A great start to the work week!

L2SpRv1.jpg

(our jasmine was stellar this year - love the scent of these blooms!)

Last edited:
Tuesday's shave:

A quick shave, and a quick entry.

Sir Irisch Moos was the soap of the day. My goodness, how I dig this soap! The Merkur 34c w/GSB made easy work with the outstanding lather produced by the "Eric Custom" w/Tuxedo synthetic.

Post shave: re-lather; cold water rinse; Dominica Bay Rum Lime splash (that proved to be an odd combo!). Later today, when my daughter and I get back from the pool, I'll throw on some Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT (5th edition).

A good start the day!

zuOVIjV.jpg

SR #570:

Okie Dokie, I finally have some time to not only make a journal entry, but post a photo or two. I also have found time to do a little honing.

First up, is the Thiers-Issard (w/custom bone scales); this one:

I killed the edge, then reset the bevel on the Chosera 1K w/a little coticule slurry, then moved to the Naniwa 3K. Then it was all La Veinette coticule, dilucot method (and no tape).

Result: Grade B

I actually got a decent edge on this blade, and had a wonderful shave this morning. I did 4 passes, and while "only" DFS(+), it was remarkably comfortable. No irritation whatsoever and no weepers to be found. Now, the second pass was just a repeat WTG from the first pass, so not a "true" 4 passer. But like I said, it was extremely comfortable. However, with my beard type, I do want to kick the keeness up just a notch. I'm debating the following possible courses of action: (1) take it to the surgical black ark; (2) wait on the Welsh slates that are en route; (3) give the ole balsa a try. I may be finally starting to learn how to hone - LOL!

Another reason I had such an enjoyable shave was due to the stellar set up. My goodness, how I dig this Wholly Kaw Rose Concerto. The scent is to die for, if one is a rose scent enthusiast. And the performance is totally "elite" status. And for an interesting combo, I chose the CF Santa Paula for the aftershave. This totally worked with the lingering rose scent! Finished up with Pen's Hammam Bouquet, and I'm diggin' the start to the day!

That's a beauty.

Nice to see you're getting some hiking in for your SOTD pics now.

Wednesday's shave:

Finally catching a break to post an entry from the shave this morning.

Another "basic", but super enjoyable shave! Here was the set-up:

Razor: Flare Tip Super Speed w/Feather
Brush: TGN boar
Soap: Vintage Williams
Aftershave: Barbasol Pacific Rush

Excellent on all levels!!!

hxDS0QA.jpg

Cool mug!
Thanks! And very inexpensive.
Simple but effective. And what @SteveChuckFrank said! I have a Pussers Rum cup that might rival the coolness of that mug.
Let's see pics!
Basic enjoyable shaves are the best.
Gotta agree.
How many levels were there?
I think a couple of pucks, maybe 3? But I gotta be honest, the pucks in that mug are new Williams and I just used the mug as a photo prop. The vintage puck that I actually used for the shave is one that I have in a plastic jar, and I just hold the puck in my palm for lathering, then face lather. :cool:
Can’t go wrong with Barby PR!
Gotta agree.

Back