The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #664:

Had a wonderful shave this morning. This set up is the one that I had originally planned to use yesterday, but waited till today; it turned out to be an easy going affair as well as an enjoyable one. Here it is.....

IQBZoxW.jpg

It's been a while since I last used Stirling "Peach" shaving soap for an actual shave. I do use it often when I'm working brushes, however. I enjoy the scent; but it's not one that I'm likely to replace once this puck is gone. It smells perfectly delightful, don't get me wrong! But it has more of a peach cobbler vibe rather than just the fruit. I'd rather it be just the fruit. Enjoyable nonetheless. Oh, and performance? Typical Stirling "elite" status for me. It seems as if Stirling shaving soaps were specifically made for the water type that I have at home - always perfect lathers. And the ShaverJoe w/Muhle synthetic brush was right on point today.

The Brian Brown gave a nice 2-passer, but I do believe that I will refresh the edge prior to the next shave.

Post shave: re-lather, cold water rinse, Pitralon Swiss aftershave. Finished up with another Dua fragrance. This one is called, "Imperiale Pasteque" Extrait de Parfum. It is a clone of Creed's "Millesime Imperial" EdP.

Creed's Imperial happens to be the one fragrance that my wife likes me wearing the most. She calls it my "signature scent", but c'mon - I like variety - but I digress....As to how close did Dua come to Creed? I'd say 90%, and they did a really good job. I'd say that the 10% difference is that Creed has a bit of a "salty" note to it that is lacking in the Dua. Not a bad thing at all, just a nit pick. The Dua is somewhat more fruity because of the lack of the marine salt. My daughter actually likes the Dua better. My wife could pick out the difference, but didn't state a preference. I'll take that as a good sign.

Just perused the Dua site. Looks like a nice range...tiny bottles though! Bummer I didn’t see and samplers.

Just perused the Dua site. Looks like a nice range...tiny bottles though!....
Yeh, the bottles are 30ml. And on the surface, about $50 for 30ml might seem expensive, but it depends, IMHO, which "real deal" fragrance is the one being cloned, it's cost on the "grey market", and how much one wants said fragrance. For instance, a cloned version of a 100ml Creed that can be bought on the fragrance discount sites for around $200 (or many times less than that) might give one pause in purchasing the Dua clone when doing the math. However, if the real deal fragrance is not available on the grey market, and it can only be purchased at full retail, then that's where the Dua becomes a more affordable option. As an example, I'll use the Dua "Invasion of the Barbers". This is a clone of MDCI Barbare Invasion. The MDCI is only available full retail. There's no way I'm spending $300 on this particular scent profile, even though I dig it, so I'll take the Dua on this one as it's 99% the same - and as a bonus, it has much greater longevity than the real deal.

BTW, I'm not trying to sell anyone on Dua. I don't have any direct or indirect personal or financial interest in this company. Just thought I'd try them because I had heard that they did such a good job cloning the MDCI. I had a sample of the MDCI and liked it very much, but not enough to justify full retail. Thus the Dua purchase of "Invasion of the Barbers". I liked that clone so much, I thought I'd try a couple others.

Saturday's shave:

I decided on a vintage soap for today. And I saw that Dave @Dave in KY went with one as well. I might have to start making a point to use a vintage soap on Saturday's.

Here was the set-up:

C4FYJEI.jpg

My goodness, the vintage Yardley is some seriously awesome soap! Uber, uber, uber slick! Now, to be real, does it justify the price it fetches? No; but I'm still glad that I have it! To be honest, it's on par with vintage Williams soap and vintage Colgate Cup soap, at least IMHO.

With that being said.....what a shave! The Edwin Jagger w/Perma Sharp performed effortlessly this morning. The Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top whipped up a perfect lather. This brush is definitely one of my favorite brushes.

Immediate post shave was a cold water rinse, then some Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel, followed up by a little Sampson's unscented balm.

Finished up with what has become one of my favorite fragrances.....this:

ecMYCFW.jpg

Why has it taken me so long to "discover" vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT??? Why??? It is one of the greatest men's fragrances ever (nothing unisex about this one)! This particular bottle is the 2nd edition, circa 1984-1992 (according to a basenoter). The current edition that is being sold in retail stores is the 6th edition (2010 - ), and is a shell of what it used to be. I have bottles of the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th edition, and a sample from the 4th edition. One day, I hope to score a bottle of the first.

A great start to the day!

Awesome shave and awesome pic as always! Your ability to really describe scents and match shave components continuously amazes me!

Awesome shave and awesome pic as always! Your ability to really describe scents and match shave components continuously amazes me!
Nice Au Naturale pic!
Thanks, Don.
Awesome pic!
Many thanks.
Good shave Chris! Enjoy your Saturday!
Thanks, Chris. Although I ended up working Saturday and just now back.
Nicely done, I wondered what you were up to with the 2 pics.
:cool:
Very nice Chris! Vintage for the win!
Thanks, Tim.

Back