The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #663:

Back in town, and this morning felt like a traditional straight razor kind of day. I've had this particular set-up in mind for a couple of weeks, and I'm just now finally getting around to using it. This......

vcKqAZ6.jpg

The Bengall 6/8 half hollow is still sporting a fantastic edge! Good ole Sheffield steel. Yes sir! I am so glad that nobody bought this razor. What was I thinking??? Yeh, this razor is staying in my collection, no doubt.

What a great shave, in terms of performance and scent. My goodness, how I dig this DG + Chatillon Lux "Gratiot League Square" soap!!! The scent is phenomenal, and the performance is "elite" status all the way in all areas! I...TOTALLY...DIG...IT!!!

The "Eric Custom" w/Cashmere synthetic whipped up a stellar lather. The shave was excellent.

Immediate post shave was a re-lather; then cold water rinse, Kiehl's aftershave balm, followed up by just a touch of unrefined shea butter.

Finished everything off with Dior Fahrenheit EdT. What a dynamite and perfect combo! An awesome way to start the day! (Even though it's already evening and I'm just now posting this). :cool:

Wednesday's shave:

Cloudy, misty, kind of dreary this morning; so broke out some AoS Sandalwood cream to brighten the day. I totally dig the scent of AoS Sandalwood - love it! I will always have this shaving cream in stock. I've got the soap as well, but I like the cream the best.

The ShaverJoe w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic whipped up a slick lather; and the Merkur Progress was firing on all cylinders. Had a wonderful shave. Very nice indeed.

Post shave: re-lather, cold water rinse, Kiehl's a/s balm + unrefined shea butter. Finished everything off with Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT. Marvelous!

04WuHG6.jpg

On the home front: Some somber pet news, as it looks like our black Lab is nearing her end. Last fall we found out that she had kidney disease. Uncommon for her age of only 7, but they were failing none the less, and there was no cure for it. We were told that she probably wouldn't last more than a year. The signs that it's close to the end is when they don't eat or drink much, and when they do, it comes right back up, or out the other end, and they just get extremely lethargic. That's where we're at. We're likely to have to put her down next week. Our 9 year old daughter is going to be absolutely heartbroken. And it'll be tough for my wife and I as well - who am I kidding. It's always tough, especially with a dog that has had the sweetest disposition that I've ever seen in a canine. Bummer.

Hate the need to help your loved one out of the pain. Bad run lately at the Cadre on this front. So sorry Chris....

Shave = Georgia Tech for the win. A lot of love on the Progress of late and I have one coming Thursday with an upgraded tip. Hope it's better than the Variant.

Last edited:
Mmm AOS Sandalwood...the scent that got me hooked on traditional shaving!

On the home front: Some somber pet news, as it looks like our black Lab is nearing her end.
Aww man, not you guys too?! So young as well. Sorry to hear Chris.

Hate the need to help your loved one out of the pain. Bad run lately at the Cadre on this front. So sorry Chris....

Shave = Georgia Tech for the win. A lot of love on the Progress of late and I have one coming Thursday with an upgraded tip. Hope it's better than the Variant.

Thanks, Dave. I'll be interested to hear your take on the Progress. But what is an "upgraded tip"?

Mmm AOS Sandalwood...the scent that got me hooked on traditional shaving!

Aww man, not you guys too?! So young as well. Sorry to hear Chris.
Yep, same here with the AoS Sandalwood.

And who else has the same bummer pet news? I've been so busy lately that I've fallen way behind in catching up with everyone's journal entries.

Great looking setup.

Man I hate to hear that about your lab. We have lost a few furry family members over the years and it never gets easier.

I should have said upgraded knob, sorry. Got this for $50 off a BST with the Knob on it, which I have found available in different shapes, sizes and colors from someone on Etsy
I see now. Cool.
Chris sorry about the dog. I hope everything is peaceful.
Thanks, Chad.
Great looking setup.

Man I hate to hear that about your lab. We have lost a few furry family members over the years and it never gets easier.
Thanks, Tim.
Rich’s Safety Cat.
Bummer. And I thought it was on the mend.

Thursday's shave:

Well, I called yet another last minute audible this morning. I had something different planned, but we have some dreary skies today, and for some reason, I felt like it would be a good time for an "old school barbershop" set up.

I actually planned my last minute set up in "reverse". I knew I was going to use Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum, but the soap, and the razor were the unknowns.

The razor of choice, for an old school kind of day, was the Schick Injector. And I see that I wasn't the only one that picked an injector for today. Way to go, Chad! @Cvargo

The soap choice kind of jumped right at me as to the one to use, given the fragrance I had planned. It's a sample that I've had for who-knows-how-long, but it seemed perfect for today. So I went with this.......

WHpPTvQ.jpg

It's been a long while since I last used a Catie's Bubbles soap, and this particular scent is one that I hadn't used yet. This makes the 14th different CB soap that I've used, and I'm happy to report that the scent is delightful, although not that strong, only at about a 2/5 on the SOS scale. In the written scent description on the label, you see where it starts off with, "sharp citrus..."? That should say, "citronella", IMHO. Which is not a bad thing at all, because I actually like that. And it does have a powdery vibe as well, along with some creaminess, if I dare say. It's nice. Kind of like a very tame version of Stirling's Electric Sheep - a very, very tame version. Performance-wise, typical CB, which is to say pretty good. I give it the lowest Tier 1/highest Tier 2 mark. It does a good job, but doesn't "wow" me enough to keep a full tub in the stable.

The injector treated me extremely well today, so it must like Catie's Bubbles soap.

Post shave was a re-lather, with cold water rinse, followed up with Sampson's unscented balm. Finished everything off with the 2017 edition of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum. Marvelous! Absolutely marvelous!!

That injector looks exactly like mine. So I guess we really were on the same wavelength. The shaves almost feel like cheating when I use one.

Back