The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #660:

My daughter's last day of 3rd grade was yesterday. Even though today is Friday, it feels like a Saturday, and so it felt like a good time to go with a traditional straight razor; I opted for one of my favorites, the Kropp full hollow. Man oh man, Sheffield razors are absolutely fantastic! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if you ever see a Kropp in good condition for sale, scoop it up immediately! What a razor. It's one of my top 3 favorites - the other two being the Brian Brown, and the Wacker Allround Blonde. Solingen and Sheffield - the best in my book.

The brush today was the Thater 2-band. This knot is unbelievably awesome. If someone were debating between this one and a Simpson Chubby 2 "best" (with one of their rare "good batches"), it's a no-brainer: the Thater, hands down!

The soap today was SV Dolomiti. It's been a while since I used this one, and truth be told, it's the only SV soap I have now. I had the Stella Alpina, and was going to use that one, but that scent just doesn't work for me anymore - it smelled kind of "sour". Maybe the "tumbleweed" had taken over finally, and I tossed it. I've used every scent SV has offered, except the latest one, and with the water at my house, SV soaps have never wowed me. They just don't make the grade of "elite" status with me. Performance is Tier 1, but no higher; I have many others that provide a slicker lather for me. Post shave moisturizing is fantastic, I have to admit that, but that particular area is dead last on my weighted criteria on judging soaps. Now, in all fairness, I have taken an SV soap with me on the road many times, and with harder water, yeh, it's performed at an elite level, but with the softer water at my house, it just doesn't work as well. When this puck of Dolomit is gone, that'll be it. I do, however, still have the SV 70th aftershave - now that's good stuff.

Post shave was Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel, followed up with Bulgari Aqua Amara EdT. Eric @Smattayu has reviewed Aqua Amara before, and it's good juice. One thing that I'll add, at least for me, is that this juice needs heat to be at its optimum performance; and it's hot down here in the ATL right now. Seriously, this juice, when I've used it this past winter on occasion, is not even close to being as good as it is now in the heat. I totally dig it for hot weather! And I got the daughter seal of approval as well, so that's a bonus!

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend.

oRCq9Pz.jpg

Now, in all fairness, I have taken an SV soap with me on the road many times, and with harder water, yeh, it's performed at an elite level, but with the softer water at my house, it just doesn't work as well.
Ah, so you’ll be moving soon then I assume? :unsure:

I really like SV and it performs better than 90% of the soaps I have in my den. I consider it elite level but I’m not a have to buy every scent kinda guy. I have 6 different ones I think maybe 7 and could go forever with those I’ve used each 7-8 maybe even 10 times and the pucks still look new. Nice pics!

Love that Kropp! I totally agree about the Aqua Amara, which is why mine hasn't been used that much yet. It seems like without the hotter weather it never lasts long enough to introduce the incense note. I now have three fairly Neroli heavy frags at this point. Each is completely different from the others and I don't think I could pick a favorite among them...yet.

I really like SV and it performs better than 90% of the soaps I have in my den. I consider it elite level but I’m not a have to buy every scent kinda guy. I have 6 different ones I think maybe 7 and could go forever with those I’ve used each 7-8 maybe even 10 times and the pucks still look new. Nice pics!

I wish that my water was more to SV's liking. It does offer very nice post shave properties.

Love that Kropp! I totally agree about the Aqua Amara, which is why mine hasn't been used that much yet. It seems like without the hotter weather it never lasts long enough to introduce the incense note. I now have three fairly Neroli heavy frags at this point. Each is completely different from the others and I don't think I could pick a favorite among them...yet.

Roger that, Eric. What are the other two Neroli frags (I forgot)?

Roger that, Eric. What are the other two Neroli frags (I forgot)?

Ferrari Bright Neroli and Dunhill Century, which just arrived a couple days ago. I'm not sure if I'd call Century a Neroli frag, but it is one of the strongest notes to my nose.

Saturday's shave:

Stirling shaving soaps: As all of you know, I....absolutely....dig....them!!! And I decided to participate at least once in the Stirling theme week (forgot that this was Stirling week - my bad - I would have used one everyday if I had remembered that!) with one of their boldest scented shaving soaps ever: "Glastonbury". My goodness, this is "in-your-face-take-no-prisoners" big, bad, dirty, patchouli! From Stirling's website description of the scent it's a "blend of Patchouli, Lavender, Oakmoss, Lichen, Frankincense, and Vetiver. A gloriously earthy scent." I definitely get some oakmoss, but mostly it's all about the patch. And when you first open the lid of the tub, it announces itself with authority. Those who don't like patchouli would probably say it smells like some sort of janitorial cleaning product. But trust me, once lathered, it's flat-out-AWESOME! My goodness, how I dig it. This is one of my favorite Stirling soaps offered. Love it!

Now, what to pair with a patch bomb? Oh yes, a patch bomb frag; and one doesn't have to look far for that: Givenchy Gentleman EdT. It's a sophisticated, mature, classic, masculine masterpiece of 70's glory. Givenchy Gentleman first launched in 1974 and it's a powerhouse masterpiece. It's still available, and the current formulation still smells quite similar to the original, but it's quite fleeting. This is a case where I have to agree that the vintage is really the only one to own. It's dynamite! And it's not for casual wear, IMO. No, this one is meant for serious business or night time wear, and definitely best for cooler weather. However, even though it's summer time, I've decided to use it anyway, althought I've waited to apply it lightly this evening because we're going out for dinner at one of the more formal restaurants in the ATL. Also, this fragrance is not for the young bucks; this is for gentlemen in the 40+ age (maybe a bit younger if one is into classic masculine fragrances). My goodness, just awesome. Just flat-out-awesome!

Now, I have to mention this, that there is also new to the market, "Gentleman Givenchy" and its flankers - but notice the word placement. That's how you distinguish the original fragrance (including the current formulation) where it's labeled, "Givenchy Gentleman", while the new fragrances, which are completely different in a whole new direction, are labeled the reverse, with "Gentleman Givenchy". I know, crazy, but thought I'd offer it as a PSA.

BwXlxVg.jpg

Flare Tip Super Speed w/GSB//Omega 48//Stirling Glastonbury//Sampson's Unscented Balm//Givenchy Gentleman EdT (vintage)

Sunday's shave:

Another Stirling soap, and definitely one of my favorites: Executive Man. Love it, dig it, one of the best scented soaps on the market; and an elite performer for me.

Hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.

Jn36Hv5.jpg

Just caught up. I hope you’ve at least been able to smell Opuntia.

Man I was stoked just reading about the Glastonbury. Patch Bomb! I have got to add both of these to the den.
IKR? Caused me to at least add the Glastonbury Bath Soap to the order I just placed...........
(y) (y)
Just caught up. I hope you’ve at least been able to smell Opuntia.
I've actually had a sample of the Opuntia shaving soap. The scent was nice, but barely detectable by my nose. I'd say a 1/5 on the SOS scale.

Back