The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Friday's shave:

Yesterday, the Mystic Water Coconut Sandalwood was so enjoyable, I decided to use it again today. As a matter of fact, I'm almost inclined to finish off this tub while await the refill puck. Yep, I think I might.

Here was the set up:

68vUwF7.jpg

The Merkur Progress w/Persona Red worked a wonderful shave. The Thater 2-band brush continues to impress me; it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. For immediate post shave, I went with a few "glugs" of vintage Avon Island Lime; which BTW, is THE BEST lime scented aftershave splash of all time. And then finished with a Vasili of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017). Awesome!

Movie talk: We took our 9 year old daughter to see the movie, "Aladdin", the other day. If you've got young children, it's a good movie. As a matter of fact, I think that it was very good! Today, however, it's going to be "grown up" movie time. My wife and I are going to go see, "John Wick - Chapter 3". Call it a "guilty pleasure". :cool:

No need to call John Wick a guilty pleasure...I think it is all pleasure! And have to agree...Avon Island Lime is THE best lime Aftershave!

Oh man! Wick! I saw the 2nd one not too long ago. That thing was NON-stop action!

I concur!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. The first two are great.
Vintage Avon = awesome!

I have got to see the new John Wick film.
Great shave Chris. Island Lime is awesome, it and Leather being my favorite Avons
No need to call John Wick a guilty pleasure...I think it is all pleasure! And have to agree...Avon Island Lime is THE best lime Aftershave!
Oh man! Wick! I saw the 2nd one not too long ago. That thing was NON-stop action!

Thanks, Gents!

SR Shave #661:

So.....last night, the wife and I went and saw, "John Wick - Chapter 3". I'll give my short opinion/review; but first, the shave:

I'm continuing with the Mystic Water Coconut Sandalwood, and it's working quite well for me. The scent, of course, is phenomenal. Got an excellent lather from the Doug Korn D7 w/Ubersoft synthetic, and had a very enjoyable shave with the Revisor 6/8 full hollow. I'm glad that this razor didn't sell, because I like it very much. What was I thinking??????

Immediate post shave was some Dominica Bay Rum Lime (outstanding juice! - one of my favorite bay rums). Followed up a little while later with the Sampson's unscented balm. Then finished up with Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017). Marvelous!!!

urZ625X.jpg

Now, the movie. OK, so first off, I totally dug the first John Wick movie! I really enjoyed the over-the-top, pulp aspect of it. The second one kind of disappointed me with the ending, in that it was obviously a set-up for another installment. For this third one, going into it, I was hoping that all the lose ends would be tied together and there would be a satisfactory conclusion. One thing for certain is that the body count is more than the second one!

So how did I like it? First, here's my own rating system/scale for movies. Rather than using stars, I go with the following:

1. Definite see in the theater at full price
2. See in the theater at matinee price
3. Rental
4. Airplane movie only
5. Don't see

Here's what I thought:

I was disappointed. I rate this a "Rental". Like I mentioned, I was looking for a satisfactory conclusion - well, there's none of that! The ending is a total set up for another movie, dang it! This left me hanging just like the previous one! Also, it was too long - just over 2 hours. The fight scenes could have been shortened greatly. Now, I will admit, there's an excellent fight scene that involves Halle Berry that is cool, and other good ones as well, but they just drone on for too long, IMO. I'm hoping that there is a 4th one, and that it will finally bring everything to a conclusion; but I'll wait for it to be available to rent.

nice shave and read. and i believe they have indeed already announced the 4th is in the works

Nice shave Chris!

I must agree, the first movie was a good original, however thin the story was. The second, I didn’t think it was possible, was more over the top action but a little flat because most of it had been done already in the first movie. Haven’t seen the third yet.

nice shave and read. and i believe they have indeed already announced the 4th is in the works
Ah so! Good news. Thanks.

Nice shave Chris!

I must agree, the first movie was a good original, however thin the story was. The second, I didn’t think it was possible, was more over the top action but a little flat because most of it had been done already in the first movie. Haven’t seen the third yet.
Thanks, Chris. If you see the 3rd, I'll be interested to hear your opinion.

Sunday's shave:

About to head out for work, so a quick entry, and thus sans photo.

Same soap as the past few days: Mystic Water "Coconut Sandalwood". Awesome! And I'm taking it with me on the road.

Same knot type, but different brush. I went with another "Ubersoft" synthetic, but this time it was one of my custom ShaverJoe brushes with the Ga Tech golf ball marker in the base. Whipped up an excellent lather!

Razor of choice was back to the Merkur Progress (w/Persona Red). My favorite, and it provided an outstanding shave.

Immediate post shave was the bloomed water left over from the MW soap that I had set aside. Then my usual Sampson's Unscented Balm.

Finished everything off with the same fragrance from the past couple of days: Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017).

Now I'm off!

NO PIC!!! Oh man! 🤪

Nice to see you liking the MW Coconut Sandalwood...I mean, what's not to like about it right? Great shaves this week Chris!

Geez Chris. All caught up and you have really upped the photo game. Not sure how as they have always been great. But some of these are spectacular.

Chris is the best smelling dude in the pilot's lounge today.

"This is your Captain speaking. We will be leveling off at 32,000 feet and the winds are favorable so it should be a shorter flight than planned. I would also like to report that I did have a lovely shave this morning and have gotten many compliments on the scent I chose. I'll be at the door as you're deplaning and hope you enjoy it as well."

Nice to see you liking the MW Coconut Sandalwood...I mean, what's not to like about it right? Great shaves this week Chris!
MW Coconut Sandalwood flat out rocks!
Good shave, Safe travels
Happy trails!
Thanks, Dave and Chris
Geez Chris. All caught up and you have really upped the photo game. Not sure how as they have always been great. But some of these are spectacular.
Thanks, Chad. Much appreciated.
Chris is the best smelling dude in the pilot's lounge today.
He could probably charge a little extra for his flights.
Too funny!
"This is your Captain speaking. We will be leveling off at 32,000 feet and the winds are favorable so it should be a shorter flight than planned. I would also like to report that I did have a lovely shave this morning and have gotten many compliments on the scent I chose. I'll be at the door as you're deplaning and hope you enjoy it as well."
😎 (y)

Back