The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Sunday's shave:

Another Stirling soap, and definitely one of my favorites: Executive Man. Love it, dig it, one of the best scented soaps on the market; and an elite performer for me.

Hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.

Jn36Hv5.jpg
Great Shave Yesterday! Glad I am not the only one using the Progress!

MEMORIAL DAY shave:

First off, a shout out to all the veterans, past and present.

Secondly, the shave. Since I was army, I decided to go "green" today. Here was the set-up:

KcAzkkI.jpg

There's just something pleasing and uplifting about the Saint Charles Shave "Fairway" scent. I totally dig it! It's very unique and always puts me in a good mood. Also, it's a wonderful performer for me at home; it's uber-slick, and I mean uber! However, I will confess, that I took a sample with me on the road recently, and the hotel up north had very hard water, and the soap did not lather at all - just a sudsy mess. But here at my house, it's one of my favorites.

The Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest whipped up a stellar lather for the Merkur 34 (w/Nacet) to do its magic. Nothing fancy about the 34, but it works extremely well. If it were the only razor left for me, I'd still be a happy camper. It was the first DE to get me started down this crazy hobby of ours, and it still sees plenty of action in the rotation.

Post shave was some Fine Snake Bite + Witch Hazel, followed up with Sampson's Unscented Balm. Then finished up with some vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT.

This particular bottle of Paco Rabanne is the 3rd Edition, circa 1991-1995 (according to a basenoter). It's still about the same to my nose as the 2nd Edition bottle that I also have. Excellent juice!

Hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable weekend.

I've actually had a sample of the Opuntia shaving soap. The scent was nice, but barely detectable by my nose. I'd say a 1/5 on the SOS scale.
I’m surprised. Used from the puck it’s at least 4/5.

I really wish I could use St. Charles soaps. That is the one soap that the lather in my water is so elusive that I can’t make it work for nothing!

Wednesday's shave:

Last night I had planned for a certain set-up today; however, at the last minute, I changed my mind and went with this one:

vHqrN0q.jpg

It just felt like a vetiver kind of day. So I grabbed the tub of Shannon's "Woodlands", the Black Handle Super Speed w/Nacet, and the Rudy Vey w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic. Had an excellent shave! My goodness, how I dig this vetiver soap! I think that Shannon's is one of the slickest soaps, with some of the best post shave moisturizing, that's available. When this artisan first hit the market a few years back, I was on board as a big fan, and have used 16 different scents over time. But I noticed that over the course of several months to a year, the scent faded and kind of went in that "play dough" direction that I didn't like. But this "Woodlands" scent is tied with MdC "Vetyver" for my favorite vetiver scents of any soap I've used and just had to get it again. The performance is "elite" status all the way, and I'm hoping the scent lasts. This wouldn't be a problem at all if I were a 3017 kind of guy; but alas, as you all know, I'm not.

Post shave was Sampson's unscented balm, followed up with Lalique Encre Noire Sport EdT. Yes sir, a fine start to the hot summer day!

Encre Noire SPort? I have not seen that one but I do have the Encre Noire, love that version of vetiver.
Lalique Encre Noire is the original, and there are two flankers: this "Sport" edition, and there's "Encre Noire A L'extreme". Out of the 3, I prefer this Sport most, because it lasts the longest of the three on me, and the scent is "brighter" with the added grapefruit and bergamot. The A L'extreme actually smells the best to me, but alas, it doesn't last very long at all.
Nice theme pic. Dark and ominous.
^^^^ My thoughts exactly ^^^^ @NurseDave Quit reading my mind........
Thanks, D&D.

Thursday's shave:

Another last minute change! I was all ready for a certain set-up today, but then, as I was catching up on journal entries, I saw that one of the "D&D's", @Dave in KY, had used Mystic Water "Coconut Sandalwood" the other day. OK, that's all I needed to see! "Say no more, say no more!" So here was my shave set-up this morning:

uO5XYve.jpg

My goodness, how I dig the scent of this Coconut Sandalwood! This is definitely one of my favorite scented shaving soaps ever, and indeed, my favorite MW soap. Out of the 52 different MW soaps I've used over the past several years, this one is THE BEST (for me), hands down! I got this particular tub when it was first released, and the donut hole in the bottom of the tub is getting more pronounced. I'll have to restock this one soon. It's flat-out-awesome. And I got a stellar lather today as a bonus! This Doug Korn D7 w/Ubersoft synthetic is THE brush for me at home with this soap. I got a perfect lather. An uber slick lather for the Flare Tip Super Speed (w/Nacet) to do it's job. Excellent!

Immediate post shave was actually a re-lather. I know others do this as well, but most times, I'll lather up again at the end as I'm cleaning my brush and putting things away. Michelle's soaps are so good in the post shave moisturizing category, and the fact that I can't get enough of this scent, it just works well. Then applied some of the Kiehl's aftershave balm; which, speaking of this aftershave, it's too bad that they don't make this particular version anymore. I'm almost out of this and am thus using it sparingly.

Finished up with a ping of Dior's Eau Sauvage EdP (2017 version). Yes, yes, and yes! Now, my daughter and I are going bowling. A good start to the day!

Great shave Chris; I agree with you and Dave, MW Coconut Sandalwood is a great soap! Have a fun daddy/daughter date!

Great shave Chris; I agree with you and Dave, MW Coconut Sandalwood is a great soap! Have a fun daddy/daughter date!
Thanks, Chris. We had a good time.
So you kinda like this one huh. Nice shave Chris
Oh most definitely. I just ordered a refill puck!
I feel compelled to request a den tour sir.
I guess I could take a photo or two of some of my stuff.
Great audible!
Thanks, Tim.

Back