The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #659:

I got a new (to me) fragrance in the mail yesterday, although it's definitely not new. I received a NOS bottle of vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT. And since I was going to use it today, I thought it obvious to go with a vintage soap as well, and thus opted for the Yardley. The Rudy Vey w/Shavemac Finest whipped up an outstanding lather! And with such a stellar soap, I knew the razor of choice had to be the Brian Brown. I've got this edge completely dialed in, and it was marvelous. Post shave was the usual Sampson's unscented balm, and then the Paco Rabanne.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT first appeared in 1973. It's an aromatic fougere, and it is for men - no women allowed with this one. There is nothing "unisex" about this in any shape, fashion, or form. This is a "macho" fragrance for us dudes only. Even though it's clearly got that 70's vibe, it's not an outdated scent at all, IMHO. This juice rocks, and it's still in production. However, from what I can glean from the internet, and Basenotes in particular, there have been reformulations several times, and the current version that is available in stores is the 6th Edition beginning in 2010. This particular bottle that I just received is supposedly the 2nd Edition, circa 1984-1992, and has been reported to smell the same as the first, as does the third edition. The note breakdown, per Fragrantica is the following: Top notes: Rosemary, Clary Sage, and Brazilian Rosewood; Middle notes: Tonka Bean, Lavender, and Geranium; Base notes: Honey, Musk, Amber, and Oak Moss. I can certainly pick out the oak moss, no question. This is a very green scent that settles into a creamy, soapy accord that is flat-out-dynamite! I've been diggin' it since I started sampling it. Now I have a full bottle of the vintage juice, and I'm a happy camper.

2n3hba0.jpg

Definitely NOT that kind of macho - LOL. I was wondering how soon it would take for a vid like that to show up. I should have said, "mature" fragrance.

I have heard of that one but don't recall where or why. Good to know I should look for the vintage versions if I want one that is more true to the original intent.

Wednesday's shave:

You know how some shaves are just "perfect"? And I'm not talking about the final result, per se, as in BBS, etc., but rather in how every item used works so well together, that the synergy makes for an extraordinarily pleasant experience. This was such an occasion. My goodness, what a calming, relaxing shave it was this morning.

Here was the set-up:

3z914Rd.jpg

Everyone knows how much I dig rose scented shaving soaps; and also, how much I dig this SCS Bulgarian Rose, one of the best rose scented soaps around. But I have had a rather difficult time, or rather, "challenging" time, in finding rose scented fragrances that work for me. Thus far, the only fragrances that I own, that work for me, and that have a noticeable rose note, or at least has a nuance of rose, in some form, somewhere in the "mix", are: Penhaligon's The Hammam Bouquet, Chanel Egoiste, Kiehl's Original Musk Blend No.1, and Guerlain's Habit Rouge EdT. So I've been on a quest over the past year or so and sampled at least a couple dozen rose scented fragrances, most of which are usually marketed as "unisex", but honestly, hadn't found any that I could pull off. Not that they were bad - it's just that I think the term "unisex" for most of them was stretching it way, way, way too much. When I ask my daughter her opinion of a sample, and she says, "that smells like a lady's perfume!", no other validation is needed; it's not for me - no way! However, there is one that I found to work, and thus added to the collection, and it's the one pictured above: Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir EdT.

This is actually a flanker to Cartier's "Declaration" EdT that debuted in 1998. This "Declaration d'Un Soir" was released in 2012. Both are considered to be in the , "Woody, Floral, Musk" group. The d'un Soir, however, has the added rose component. The primary notes, according to the web, are: "Pepper, Cardamon, Cumin, Nutmeg, Rose, and Sandalwood". I can tell you, that to me, this is some marvelous juice. It's a "dry" rose note (not a "jammy" or "girly" powdery rose note) that is surrounded by the spices - especially the cardamon and pepper. While the rose remains present throughout the life of a wear, it dries down with an accompanying, pleasant woody note. I dig this one. It's good, IMO, for 3 out of the 4 seasons - this won't work in the summer - it would be cloying. But in the milder temps, this is a rose scented fragrance that really works well, and is safe for a dude to wear. But sample first; because if you don't like rose scents, then this would not be for you.

Ugh, not much a fan of unisex frags right now. Most of the ones I’ve smelled are still too feminine to me as well.

If a dude can pull off a rose scent though, way to go! ;)

Thursday's shave:

I decided to dig out the Haslinger Schafmilch for this morning's shave. This is the original version, with tallow, and one that I really should use more often. I know that Doug @dkeester was having less-than-stellar performance with the new version, and that seems to be the consensus amongst the reviews I've read from others as well. But the puck I still have is the good stuff, and I mean uber slick and a border line "elite"/Tier 1, Box 1 soap, with the water at my house. I totally dig it, and like I said, really should use it more often.

I also opted to use the Injector since it's been a while since it last saw the light of day. Performance was OK, but I have to confess, that I'm not liking the injector as much as I used to. Seriously, the Merkur Progress has become my favorite razor.

Post shave was Kiehl's aftershave, then Sampson's unscented balm. Finished everything off with Chanel's, "Bleu de Chanel" EdP.

Now, it's off to an early showing of the new Avengers movie with the wife. Looking forward to it.

7oPnjdm.jpg

Haslinger with Tallow superb! Haslinger minus tallow not so much!

Excellent pic today.

Back