The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLindsay's brain droppings

..And then the video of the beard-ectomy. With Taps played at the end.
I have been considering the number of creative ways I might be able to employ to remove the beard, I've not decided anything yet but I like the idea of honoring the beard's demise with the playing of Taps.

In addition to using a properly prepared axe or knife, I have thought of allowing one of the local barbers (one who is new to the game but has done well for my son) perform the beard-ectomy with a straight razor (one of mine) or shavette. Provided he is willing to do it on video, it could be a fun way to introduce a new member. Maybe he could use the video and/or photos to promote himself via social media.

The weather here has turned quite cold, the weather forecasters are teasing the idea we might even have a "white Christmas". The colder weather made the beard think "The Veg", so I skipped the usual CBL Apothecary Oil treatment (shameless plug) and opted for a splash of vintage L.B. hair oil and a glug of vintage "veg". I picked up this bottle of L.B. oil for about a dollar at one of the many antique stores I visited a couple years ago. Other than lanolin (as indicated on the label) I don't know what oil(s) it is made of, I suspect it is simple mineral oil. Whatever it is made of, it is a surprisingly effective hair oil with a light scent that is somewhat like lilac or maybe a powdery baby powder. The combination of the L.B. and the Veg made the beard quite happy, and fragrant. As I sit here hours later, I am regularly greeted with an occasional whiff of that classic floral, vegetal scent.

I have not yet informed the beard that its days are numbered, but I think it may suspect something as I have never indulged its scent request in the past. Having developed a certain fondness of the furry facial companion, I feel like I should make its last days memorable. To that end, I am thinking of having my daughter adorn it with beads and bobbles ...so it can feel pretty for the Christmas festivities.

the veg.jpg
the beard (2).jpg

It 'twas the day of the night before, the night before Christmas. And my mind was full of random thoughts (I like to call them brain droppings, a phrase I stole from George Carlin). In an effort to clear my mind of clutter, perhaps brightening someone's day in the process, I set down to the forum to let the droppings ...drop.

So, last night the family sat down to watch a Christmas movie. I don't know the name of it but it MIGHT be something like "A boy named/called Christmas", because there was a boy in it and he was called "Christmas" by his mom. All in all it was a watchable Christmas Movie, although it wasn't something I would want to watch again. The story was something of an origin story, but it was unclear whose or whats origin story was being told. Truth be told, it could have been a much better movie, I don't know why I said it was "watchable". There were several times where the movie touched on some very cliché Christmas themes, but ultimately the movie failed to grab on and deliver. The only reason I bring it up at all is because there was a particular (brief) moment in the story that struck me in a particularly profound way. What did I find so profoundly life changing? There was a point in the story where the boy (Christmas/Nicholas) has asked the elves to make a bunch of "toys" (tops, little wood dolls etc) because "Every kid needs at least ONE toy, because having a single toy gives them hope, joy and love in an otherwise hopeless life" (ok, I paraphrased that part). As I watched the 8 minutes of cinematic footage devoted to a village of elves coming together to make the simplest of toys (again...tops, carved wood rocking horses and dolls and a bunch of LITTLE chocolates), I thought to myself how I wished I was able to find SUCH joy in having just ONE simple trinket. That's when it hit me, if I could have just one wish...wishing that I might find such profound satisfaction in having such a simple toy or singular chocolate bon bon item might be the best wish I could muster. For that matter, perhaps I would wish that we ALL might find such profound satisfaction from such a "minimal" item simply because it was a gift, given from the heart. I was left wondering if perhaps I might be a happier person if such simple things brought me the kind of joy portrayed by the children in the movie. Heavy, right?

Then my wife and I watched "office Christmas party" and I realized MONEY and booze might make me happy too.

Moving on. The earlier weather forecasts that teased the idea of a white Christmas were all LIES. We are expected to get a bunch of rain today/tonight, with more (but less) rain tomorrow, and more (but even less) rain on Christmas day. THEN, on the day after Christmas the temps drop and we MIGHT get some snow. Translated...we aint getting a White Christmas and probably won't even get rain. Why is a white Christmas such a fun idea? Because certain people wont drive in the snow...

Follow the detour at the next brain dropping. I ate FAR too many cookies last night, and there are still more to be eaten. I now know eating so many cookies with a small dinner salad isn't a good idea. Mental note, "don't eat salad".

Back on the main-brain road. So, a few weeks ago I was awaken in the early hours by the sound of my wife talking very angerly in her sleep. I was quite disturbed by what she said and how she sounded saying it (think Exorcist) and could not go back to sleep, so I got up and went to the office (for safety). I was so disturbed by this event I later asked my wife about it. She told me she had bad dreams and was yelling at a "boogey man" in her dream, not ME. I struggled to believe her but gave her the benefit of the doubt...and I slept in my chair until she was fast asleep. She must have been really tired because when I ventured into the bedroom later that night she was snoring quite loudly. Had she not been snoring like a drunk, I might not have thought much of her laying there all snug and comfy. Alas, I DID think about her, laying there all snug and comfy. As she lay there all peaceful, the thought crossed my mind how funny it would be to jump on the bed, yelling "ARG" like a boogeyman attacking her. At first I chuckled to myself ...then I did it. Moments later she was screaming and flailing violently. Gentlemen, I strongly suggest you NOT act on those thoughts you have late at night that make you chuckle to yourself.

I watched “A Boy Called Christmas”. I actually thought it was a pretty good story. Granted, it was simple in nature as it was meant for kids, but still I thought it was enjoyable.

Back