The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLindsay's brain droppings

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
3/15/2018
Straight Shave #794

SV Artisan 2.0
The Chambers Cedar & Rose
J.Engstrom Frameback
The Chambers Cedar & Rose aftershave
Stampede Cologne

The star of the shave was definitely the Chambers Cedar Rose, love that scent and the soap performed great. I wish the Engstrom was up to par. The heel and toe are fantastically honed but there is still a bit of a frown so the mid range is still not cutting it the way i would like. Even with the less than stellar edge i managed a good shave and i smell good to boot.

Looks like i will be back on the hones working on this razor before David gets it but its coming along ...i think.

This is the most excellent journal I have ever seen on here!

Nice start Chris...I'm sure you'll get the blade singing along the entire length soon enough! That Cedar Rose sounds great!!

Dagwoodz said:
Nice start Chris...I'm sure you'll get the blade singing along the entire length soon enough! That Cedar Rose sounds great!!
The cedar rose is a show stopper scent for sure, probably not for everyone but definitely for those with beards.
As to the blade...I am having my doubts.

3/16/2018
Straight Shave #795

22mm Steampunk Tuxedo
Lisa's Sample #2
J.Engstrom Frameback
The Chambers Cedar & Rose aftershave

Well today was just awful. I worked on the Engstrom for hours last night and things are much improved BUT not really all that good. I knew the edge was a bit uneven and generally unworthy but it seemed to be willing to shave arm hair (what little remains) so i used it ...for the first pass and a half. I wasn't happy with the feel and tugging so i reached for the injector i have had on stand-by. UGH, the blade in the inject was WAY bad. I had it tucked in a drawer for several months and clearly it was exposed to some rough play. SOO the General got called in to do the clean up. Really the General wasn't doing my beard any justice either but i walked away with a hard won DFS.

Lisa has made another test sample and i have honestly been having some trouble with this one. I want to like it but it was difficult to figure out at first and has the been the base for a couple poor shaves. As expected, the post shave feel is really solid. The scent is a bit on the weak side (for me) but is generally appealing. Today the lather was much easier to achieve, clearly the synthetic brush makes a difference. Don't get me wrong, its not a bad soap, i just think it is somewhat average with nothing really standing out.

Sweet mercy, you have an obstacle course of a shave there

Is it a different formula she is playing with?

Great googly moogly...talk about a rough shave! Sounds like the sweedish beast is being stubborn giving up the goods. Hopefully it continues to improve for you....

My Stars! it seems He who shall not be named was lurking in your area! I'm glad you escaped with not much in the way of fluid loss!

Cvargo said:
Is it a different formula she is playing with?
She is working on a few different formulas and has a bunch of us testing them out. Eric is testing too, wonder if he's had a similar experience. Based on the ingredient list i expected it to feel good but i dont see a reason other than my bad mojo for it not to be better. I will give it some more uses under better conditions before I pass judgement, it may be my fault.

Man, that sounds like a series of unfortunate events. Sorry to hear about the rough shave Chris. I've only got one shave with Sample #2, but it was pretty good. It was with a DE, however, so tomorrow will be the real test.

Late to your party too!

A good shave and a not so good shave so the Yen and Yang are balanced out, right?

Tuesday 3/20/2018
Straight Shave #798

WD24mm Silvertip
CBL beta -Cream of Williams "Republican" Scent
Feather SS w/Pro-guard blade
Myrsol F-Extra
Bill Blass "Mr. Blass"

I have missed documenting a few shaves, one of which was a non-straight (used the General yesterday). The last few shaves were rather un-remarkable other than to say they happened. I did get a chance to use the RanTanKaRus that Dave honed up for me ...sadly some where along the way i dinged the heel and put a small chip in it. I dont know if it happened before the shave or between the shave and the post shave stropping, the shave seemed mostly comfortable. I also shaved again with the Engstrom I am working on for @NurseDave ...not there yet.

I had a bright idea yesterday that i couldn't wait to try out. I thought to myself ..."hey, Williams soap is great stuff but people find it hard to lather ....Hey, Sodium Hydroxide and tallow make the slickest soap around but NaOH makes a soap that is harder to lather. ...HEY, a cream is basically a soap with more water in it so in theory some of the soap salts are already in solution just waiting to get all lathered up...HEEEYY, I can make a Williams like cream that is loaded with tallow and made with a healthy amount of NaOH and i should lather up pretty easy.." So i set out to make a small test batch using all of my superpowers and tricks. I kept the recipe simple but tested out a few additional tricks i have been considering. The result was a rather firm but smooth cream. I tested it this morning and it was not bad. Definitely has the slickness and residual slickness of Williams but it lacked some density (which could be a poorly loaded brush). I think i may be on to something.

The scent was one i picked up from one of the online retailers, it's supposed to smell like a "republican" ...a little fruity with some metallic notes if you ask me. They had a Democrat scent too but no other political party scents. I guess its ok, it was easy to work with and produced a nice strength of scent that i could smell the entire shave.

The rest of my week looks busy so i may not be able to post a lot but believe me, I am following along.

Happy to see you posting a shave. Williams Cream.... Sounds interesting.

Nice read...it sounds like you might be on to something with the new cream, Chris!

Wow what????

A cream as slick as Williams?
1f603.png
1f1e6.png
1f1fc.png
1f1ea.png
1f1f8.png
1f1f4.png
1f1f2.png
1f1ea.png
2757.png

Back