The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLindsay's brain droppings

CBLindsay’s Most Excellent Journey
…PART DEUX

The world NEEDS more excellent journeys, so I have decided to revive my TSC journal to deliver custom CBL excellence. I can’t promise much in the way of consistency, or for that matter much shaving…but I will try to deliver an occasional dose of excellence as I recount my journey through this place called life.
wow Look who woke up! Happy Anniversary

Time for a weekend recap. But before I give the most excellent recap, let me extend a heartfelt "Thank You" to those who wished my wife and I a happy anniversary here on the forum and on my Facebook page.

Yes, yesterday was the 28th anniversary of the day I married my wife. We celebrated by exchanging gifts and by going out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse. My wife got me a nice leather(ette) wrapped flask and a sampler assortment of Scotch. She told me she wanted to find a 28 year aged Scotch but couldn't find such a thing. I am happy with the sampler I got because I am generally not a fan of Scotch, so the sampler provides an opportunity to explore a few different styles/versions and perhaps expose me to a Scotch I like very much. I will say, for the first time in 28 years I WON the gift game. In years past my anniversary gift giving had been lacking and had on at least one occasion I missed the cues entirely and slept on the couch for a year. This year however, I hit the mark. To start with I had a nice Orchid delivered on Saturday (to ensure it arrived). Then I made a custom Orchid/jasmine/Tuberos floral perfume, complete with a clever and attractive label. A last minute online purchase from Costco (while I was ordering a Christmas gift for myself) happened to be delivered many days earlier than expected so it became an Anniversary present rather than a Christmas present. What did I purchase that could beat the Orchid arrangement? ...A Bolt electric bike! My wife enjoys going for bike rides but the brutally strong winds that are normal for our area make even flat routes very difficult for her. The Bolt will allow her to pedal as much as she wants while also providing a powered assist (or free ride) whenever necessary. And as a bonus the little thing fits her very well and can be folded to fit into the back of her Jeep.

I won't say much about our trip to Texas Roadhouse for dinner other than to note that our "Big night out" ended before 6pm...we are officially OLD!

In case you came here for the shave...you will be very disappointed. Other than an occasional trim and clean I have not shaved for 7 weeks. What started as a bout of laziness morphed into support of the No-Shave November concept and is NOW in the "I am Santa" phase. As noted above, I am OLD...and the gray in my beard removes all doubt of such. I look a lot like one of the Ewok's from Return of the Jedi. My wife has asked me when I plan to shave the fluffy beard from my face, a very good question but one I don't have an answer to just now. I imagine I will be shaving before our January vacation, simply because I don't want to look like a castaway when I board the cruise ship (It might be seen as tempting fate). I have considered mutton chops as a compromise but the feedback from those I pose this idea to has been less than favorable...perhaps a new hat and pipe to go with them would change opinions.

I have considered mutton chops as a compromise but the feedback from those I pose this idea to has been less than favorable...perhaps a new hat and pipe to go with them would change opinions.
You may have just been asking the wrong people, I say go for it! You won't know until you try it. Also, a new hat and pipe are always a good idea. :)

Rock the chops like this guy. ⬇️ (y)
1638818043716.png

Smashing night out there Chris! And good job on upholding the pride of men everywhere by winning the gift game! 😎👍
9C4CB413-7C1F-45DC-9BC5-3645502C9193.gif

I have considered mutton chops as a compromise but the feedback from those I pose this idea to has been less than favorable...perhaps a new hat and pipe to go with them would change opinions.
IMO Chris, muttonchops were a bad look back when they were popular! Would make for an interesting shave though.

Did anyone else notice there are only like 10 days before Christmas? I am kind of bummed because I am sort of excited to "do the Christmas thing" but haven't really DONE anything yet. Oh sure, the house looks like a Christmas bomb exploded, and I have a couple Christmas stations on my Pandora ...but it feels like I am missing something. Side note, the "classic" Christmas songs sung by the likes of Bing, Frank and Dean really ARE better. Unfortunately, one can only stand so much of those classics before feeling like they are trapped in a house with Grandma. ANOTHER side note, my grandma used to whistle along with the Christmas songs...and she was quite good at it.

The Beard
The beard is coming along nicely. I figure it has been about 2 months since I had a proper shave, and I am looking a lot like Christmas. I think the belly still looks more like Santa than the beard, but the beard is gaining ground fast. One might think I have a lot more time on my hands in the morning since I am not shaving regularly, but I find that wrangling a hungry geriatric cat and 4 dogs first thing in the morning is taking more and more of my time. My son works a double (swing/night) shift and has school in the morning, so we baby sit his puppy while he is gone or asleep. This has added a new and exciting dimension to the morning routine (not to mention turning every evening into a show in its own right). Alas, the beard is scheduled to be removed following Christmas, so I will need to find a way to squeeze a proper shave into the morning events.

Well, the beard has asked me to take him for a walk, so I have to cut this journal entry short...

Did anyone else notice there are only like 10 days before Christmas?
Right? I was driving to an appt today and saw a digital billboard with a display that said Santa is coming in 9 days, and I was like WTF? Still doesn’t fell like Christmas to me. Literally the Rudolph thread is the only thing helping that along for me. Otherwise, I’m not in the mood or spirit at all! Ugh.

Right? I was driving to an appt today and saw a digital billboard with a display that said Santa is coming in 9 days, and I was like WTF? Still doesn’t fell like Christmas to me. Literally the Rudolph thread is the only thing helping that along for me. Otherwise, I’m not in the mood or spirit at all! Ugh.
I FEEL like I could easily be tipped into the Christmas Spirit punch bowl if the conditions were right, but my fear is that this year will pass and I will have missed the opportunity to be fully immersed in Christmas. I've made a point to call out how the last 2 years have been difficult for me/my household but the reality is, right now things are pretty good ...the kind of good that would make Christmas spirit appropriate. I guess I/we are sort of hedging out Christmas spirit bets, like we are anticipating another slap in the face.
I'm confused...is The Beard...well, the beard...or the dog?
Well lets just say my dog rarely asks for more exercise, but he does like an appropriate length walk (right now he is up to about 2 blocks).

And @Graybeard57, I do end up fussing with the beard though the day but I am less concerned about shaping and trimming than just fluffing it up (for fun) or combing it flat (for a cleaner look). I will definitely be keeping my mustache-goatee, so I will still be able to pensively stroke the hair on my chin while siting in the fluffy chair at the jazz coffee bar (or while sitting alone at my desk).

Back