The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLindsay's brain droppings

WHAAT?!
Clearly it has been quite some time since I posted anything in my TSC journal so I figured I would dish out some fresh brain droppings for everyone's enjoyment.

First, I'll update everyone on my shaving journey (for what it's worth). To be honest, I have been in a shaving funk of sorts for most of the year, so I really don't have a lot to report. Most weeks I end up shaving only once or twice and when I do shave I do it at night so I don't have to make time in the morning. I have mostly used the Tedalus and/or the Gillette Fat Boy, but I have squeezed in a regular straight razor here or there and changed up the DE a couple times. I recently "won" a killer PIF from @fhalden that contained several soaps I had on my "i gotta try" list, this gave me a little motivation to shave more often so I could give the new to me soaps a try. While all the soaps in the PIF probably fall into the top tier (as decided by TSC members I observe) a couple really stood out as being better than the others. The Krokos for example was outstanding in performance and scent while the Mallard base (I think the brand is grooming dept) was excellent in terms of how well it was scented but didn't quite wow me in terms of performance. Each soap was enjoyable for its own reason(s) and none of them were difficult to use. I know this is pretty poor excuse for a review but it's all I got.

Next, I'll address the "funk" issue. We all get into a funk sometimes but most of the time the funk is short lived, eventually something reignites that spark of enjoyment and the funk is gone. In my case the funk has been persistent and I think that is because there have been/are multiple factors feeding the funk, even as one fades another takes its place. I suppose all these different factors can be summed up in one word ..."Life". Life is full of surprises, challenges and changes. A series of these surprises, challenges and changes have caused me to feel my age and forced me to see life (mine and others) less in terms of how many years old I am/we are and more in terms of how many more years we might have ahead of us. Essentially it all boils down to be forced to recognize mortality, my own and that of others. I am not certain all of this has anything to do with my funk but I choose to place the blame squarely in the lap of "life" and "mortality" until I have evidence to the contrary.

It's not ALL bad though, we are enjoying a break from the 115 degree days and we have had a few enjoyable camping trips. I also ordered a few knock off razors and blades from some place called temu (like wish with a differnt name), it should be fun to see if any of them are any good. I'll certainly be posting something about what I find.

Well thats all for now. I'm off to slay todays dragons and prepare for tomorrows.

I shaved my 3 day beard off last night because I had an early morning today. The shave was SUPER close but there was a good bit of bleeding involved.

This Frankenstein-razor has a copper pipe handle (easy to make and you can add weight or adjust the length as desired) and a “slant” razor head. The razor head has what my old eyes think says Yaqi, I bought it years ago and I’m sure I used it but WOW. This thing is ALL blade gap. It mowed down the beard so quick I swear hairs were jumping off my face BEFORE the razor arrived just to avoid it’s wrath. Caught a couple stubborn follicles on the Side to side pass and nearly filleted my neck.

IMG_2685.jpegIMG_2684.jpeg

WHAAT?!
Clearly it has been quite some time since I posted anything in my TSC journal so I figured I would dish out some fresh brain droppings for everyone's enjoyment.

First, I'll update everyone on my shaving journey (for what it's worth). To be honest, I have been in a shaving funk of sorts for most of the year, so I really don't have a lot to report. Most weeks I end up shaving only once or twice and when I do shave I do it at night so I don't have to make time in the morning. I have mostly used the Tedalus and/or the Gillette Fat Boy, but I have squeezed in a regular straight razor here or there and changed up the DE a couple times. I recently "won" a killer PIF from @fhalden that contained several soaps I had on my "i gotta try" list, this gave me a little motivation to shave more often so I could give the new to me soaps a try. While all the soaps in the PIF probably fall into the top tier (as decided by TSC members I observe) a couple really stood out as being better than the others. The Krokos for example was outstanding in performance and scent while the Mallard base (I think the brand is grooming dept) was excellent in terms of how well it was scented but didn't quite wow me in terms of performance. Each soap was enjoyable for its own reason(s) and none of them were difficult to use. I know this is pretty poor excuse for a review but it's all I got.

Next, I'll address the "funk" issue. We all get into a funk sometimes but most of the time the funk is short lived, eventually something reignites that spark of enjoyment and the funk is gone. In my case the funk has been persistent and I think that is because there have been/are multiple factors feeding the funk, even as one fades another takes its place. I suppose all these different factors can be summed up in one word ..."Life". Life is full of surprises, challenges and changes. A series of these surprises, challenges and changes have caused me to feel my age and forced me to see life (mine and others) less in terms of how many years old I am/we are and more in terms of how many more years we might have ahead of us. Essentially it all boils down to be forced to recognize mortality, my own and that of others. I am not certain all of this has anything to do with my funk but I choose to place the blame squarely in the lap of "life" and "mortality" until I have evidence to the contrary.

It's not ALL bad though, we are enjoying a break from the 115 degree days and we have had a few enjoyable camping trips. I also ordered a few knock off razors and blades from some place called temu (like wish with a differnt name), it should be fun to see if any of them are any good. I'll certainly be posting something about what I find.

Well thats all for now. I'm off to slay todays dragons and prepare for tomorrows.
I haven’t tried many of the soaps you picked up in that PIF. But I picked up Krokus in a trade once and completely agree. Cool story behind my trade that I will share sometime. I need to break down and buy that one to use again.

I can relate to your general funk too, but I kept up the daily shaving. Didn’t help that “The Man” has been trying to beat me down as well. I’m just too stubborn to stay down. Hang in there brother, you are not alone.

Are we just now learning that one of the three owners of this here website doesn't know how to shave????

I dunno why you touched that thing to your face but it looks like it would be good for removing stubborn floor tiles.

Well, I am happy to report that after a brief trip back to the 100 degree plus range last weekend our days have returned to the 70's and 80's with much cooler evenings. Unfortunately, this time of year wreaks havoc on my allergies making those cooler evenings very uncomfortable.

For reasons mostly relating to laziness, I am considering starting my november beard a week ago. I will need to make this decision soon as I will need to do some trimming of the 'stach around the lips soon. Since most of my "CBL soap" product development/testing has been invovling non-soap products and/or scent development I don't feel I would NEED to shave very soon. ...but my wife did ask me to make her another batch of the shave soap/cream I made for her last year (a Shea Butter based 'brushless' shaving soap), i don't feel the need to test that one on my own mug so I am still good to go for a lazy Q4 beard.

A little adventure-
I took my daughters (14 and 21) to Knotts Berry Farm's "Knott's Scary Farm" after hours event last night. If you have never heard of or been to Knott's Scary Farm, it is a unique after hours Holloween themed event that is designed for older kids and adults. They close the park early (at 5pm) so they can set everything up and reopen at 7pm for the Scary Farm event, and they remain open until 1am. In addition to most of the regular rides being open, they operate a dozen or so professionaly designed/run themed "mazes" throughout the park. They also employ a large number of "scare actors" to mingle amongs the crowds and scare the dayights out of unsepecting people. Fog, carefully arranged lighting and costumes complete with metal skid plates and noise makers make the task fairly easy. They also have several adult beverage stands throughout the park with horror themed drinks and snacks, and the regular food locations have special themed foods to enjoy. I attened this event about 10 years ago with my boys and feel that by comparison something was mising this time around, although it was pretty close to the same. The main drawback for me is/was that I woke up at 6am to go to work and didn't get home until 2:30am this morning, THEN was up again at 7:30am to head to the office.

As is most often the case where my oldest daughter is involved, the night did not pass without her own brand of drama. While we were hustling our way to the tater tot place to snag a box of "Fingers and Toes", she stepped onto a metal drain grate in the middle of the walkway and tiwsted her knee. I can't explain how it all happened other than to say we were walking then she was rolling to the ground in a very well executed tuck-n-roll. Once on the ground she refused to get up becasue her knee hurt. Several differnt staff members came out to ask if she was ok and whether she wanted them to call first aid, and when we refused they told us how to find first aid on our own. We did eventually make our way to the first aid station where they were quick to ice, wrap, medicate and find her a wheelchair to use for the rest of the night. On a positive note, the wheelchair and a special pass from guest services made catching a few more rides a little easier. The big bummer was the wheelchair had to be returned at the exit which left us about half a mile to walk to the truck. Her PAINFULLY slow pace called for action so I carried her over my shoulders a al fireman carry style. She is still in a lot of pain and generally unable to walk on that leg so I suspect she will end up in urgent care sometime today. Never a dull moment I tell ya.

Hoping the day goes better today for your daughter!

And that you get some extra naps fit in 😂👍

Hoping the day goes better today for your daughter!

And that you get some extra naps fit in 😂👍
Pretty sure its a minor sprain type injury and the pain she is feeling behind the knee etc are due to swelling more than major injury. If she can ice it, stay off it, take some anti-inflamatory's and wear an appropriate brace I think she will get about as much relief as is possible in these situations.

Funny thing is, by getting up at 7:30 this mornign i feel like I slept in and am not as tired as I would have thought. I may crash later this afternoon for for now I am powered by coffee and loving it.

Worlds of Fun, the local theme park in Kansas City also has an evening Halloween haunt thing. I’ve been there once but it’s been a few years.

Hopefully your daughter is feeling better.

I am officially (for now) not shaving my face, so this isn't a shaving related update...unless me telling everyone I have a modest amount of grey facial hair growing where I once shaved what appeared to be a dark beard away every moring "shaving related". I just thought I would stop in and leave a few fresh brain droppings...step carefully they will be all over the place.

First an update on my daughter's knee. She visted the urgent care where they did an x-ray that (surprise) showed nothing. They did however provide a referral to ortho and gave her instructions to call them rather than wait for a call from them, so she could be seen sooner. She iced it and stayed off it a few days and the swelling went down but she still has limitted ability to use it without pain. I was going to go into a diatribe about how the medical establishment in our state is pathetic and fails to serve even her needs ...but I won't.

On a more positive note but still about the same daughter. She has hustled and while at times working 2 and 3 jobs so she could live one her own (renting a home with her brother) and have a jeep she dearly loves, she has also finished her degree a little early so she will be graduating in December. She will be getting her Bachellors in something to do with early childhood development. Her personal focus has been on younger children (like 2-4) but I think the scope of her eduction is intented to be birth through kindergarten. She is undecided on what she will ultimately do with her degree, she may decide to teach or subsitute teach pre-k and K, she might work in or own/take over a day care or? But for now she has been hired by the state to do inspections and assesments of existing day care's. Although each assesment can take 8-12 hours the whole process is flexible enough she can also choose to substitue teach or work in a day care as well.

Now about me, sort of. I have been out in the jeep a few times over the last month or two, unfortunately each time I was out I had some damage to or issue with the jeep. One trip several weeks ago we went out with a large group (that was less than prepared) and fairly early into the trip we hit a washed out part of the fire road that was butt puckering to say the least. My wife got out and walked it was that bad, but we all slipped past it using trax boards and ride high up the mountain side going about 25 degrees off camber. Fortunately the jeep was in good shape at that point, later in the ride we hit some obstacles that required more flex in the suspension, It was at this point one (or maybe both) of my rear shocks blew. Being a leaf spring rear end this didn't change much but it meant I would be replacing the shocks I had put on less than 500 miles ago. The group then chose to go on a 20 mile route that was horribly bouncy and rough, at some point we bounced hard enough to break a shock mount. Fortunatly no further damage was done on that trip and my brother had his crew replace both rear mounts with stronger mounts. After that repair we went out for what we thought would be an easy ride. Most of the way things were pretty good but about 75% through the ride I started gettign a backfire when I would take my foot off the gas and coast down hill. Then going up hill became more difficult becuase I had noticeably less power. By the time we got near the trail head it was obvious somthing was wrong. We stopped for a while an had lunch hoping letting ot cool down might help. It was obvious either the o2 sensor or intake temp sensor was bad becasue it was pouring so much gas into the engine it was coming out the tail pipe even after cooling down. The 40 minute ride home started off pretty scetchy but as I made the 3000 foot deent down the mountain it started to run better and by the time I hit the valley floor it was almost perfect. I am not certain the issue is resolved yet, I replaced the 3 sensors that might lead to the conditions we expereinced (no check engine light or codes) and I benche tested the old parts with very inconclusive results. THEN as I was preparing to set out on another trip I was test driving it and putting it through its paces and finally got a check engine light that pointed toward the intake air temp sensor (which was new). I spent the rest of saturday chasing down a low voltage issue only to find that my multimeter was not accurate so the bench testing of old parts and chasing of low voltage might as well been done with a childs toy. I think I have fixed the problem now and I am getting good voltage reading in all the right places. we shall see.

At the risk of makign this post too long to read I will leave one more dropping: a week or two ago my wife texted me at work to tell me the refridgerator was dead. We (she) have hated this fridge for years but everytime it has broken I was able to fix it with a relatively cheap part so we kept it. This time my wife hell bent to get a new one. As she started shopping for a new one we learned several things.
1) There are very few places you can shop fro and buy a fridge (home depot, lowes, maybe costco, and some really sketchy local shops)
2) All the new fridges are incredbily computerized and electronic so most repair men have difficulty recommending ANY of them.
3) NONE of the fridges available today fit the place our fridge currently sits unless we went with a supper basic model with greatly reduced capacity (even then I would have to modify the cabinets above)

Fortunatly I was once again able to repair the ugly beast and we have ice in the ice maker and a cold freezer and fridge. I fear when this thing truly dies I will either have to move, or remodel the kitchen as a result.

Well thats all folks

But for now she has been hired by the state to do inspections and assesments of existing day care's. Although each assesment can take 8-12 hours the whole process is flexible enough she can also choose to substitue teach or work in a day care as well.
Congratulations to your daughter!

Time to lay down some journally goodness (otherwise known as CBL brain droppings and/or ruminations)

As far as shaving goes, I continue to dhave mostly at night and skip a day or more between shaves. I do this mostly out of general laziness rather than a desire to maintain a handsom scruff for the ladies to enjoy. As far as gear, I have stuck with a rotation of some enjoyable Groomroom scents lathered with one of my favorite synthtics. Depending on how long between shaves I have been using a Gillette Fat Boy, Weck sextoblade or Tedalus. The most remarkable of the 3 is the Weck, WOW has it deleivered some SMOOTH shaves with zero difficulty. Ive used various CBL post shave products for th emost part but have also been enjoying the Cella after shave.

Shaving has become a lot more difficult of late due to increasing pain in my hands. I can barely hold a DE razor in my right hand without the pain becoming intolerable, as a rsult I have been workign on using my left hand more. The straight razor platform is a little easier to hold but achieving/maintaining the best angle of attack is becoming more difficult. Other than pushing 50 and addign some additional weight, I can't point to a cause for the difficulty and pain. I spent a few months eating an anti-inflamatory diet, and while I felt better in many ways my hands showed no improvmement. At some point I will figure this out but for now its just a pain.

Other "life" stuff:
A year ago last week my youngest son was in a vehicle accident and sustained some pretty terrible injuries. He spent almost 2 months in the hospital and several more months recovering at home but is doing quite well now. He is young so he was able to bounce back very well...but he is young, so he has yet to feel the effects age will have on his injuries. A year to the date later (last week) my oldest son and his wife had their baby (my grandson). Based on history and evidence they saw early on they declaired the pregnancy a high risk one so she spent the 72 days prior to the delivery in the hospital so they could more closely monitor the situation. Ultimately conditions presented that warranted an early delivery so they could address them more completly. Its been a week now and there have been some very scary days but things appear to be moving (very slowly) in the right direction. Mom and dad have been told to take it day by day and to expect the next several weeks to be challenging. Right now there seems to be clear movement in the right direction so there is reason to be optomistic.

Another sign that I am indeed getting older (if the addition of the title "grandpa" wasn't a good clue) is that I get the pleasure of arranging for my dad to move into an assited living place. To be honest he should have gone a year ago, it would have helped to keep him healthier. After being sick for some time he was hospitalized in early December and is currently hanging out in a post acute care place while I make the final arrangements for him to be released directly to the assited living place. He is excited to go to this new place and I do think it will help him get and remain healthier for longer.

I’ve heard it said that getting old isn’t for sissies. I’m inclined to agree. You, my friend, ain’t no sissy. Prayers always for you and yours.

Back