The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

"Shame as this one is cool looking and I was hoping to find a workable blade. "
^^^^Context^^^^ ;) 🤪
Yeah I got that. When I read that it was evident that particular blade didn’t work. What I was questioning was why sell the razor because a certain blade didn’t work in it. I’m not familiar with the razor and didn’t know it used a certain type of blade that’s no longer available or at least extremely hard to find.

Ah! Context... Good. Now I get it. When I read it, what it was saying seemed along the lines of “This shave soap burned my skin when I used it, therefore I’m going to sell the brush I lathered with”.

The blades look something like this...

1590668514936.png

You can get New Old Stock on eBay...but they are incredibly expensive and there is no telling if they would be better or degraded or what. The ones I have they tug something awful and don't cut very well.

As Dave said. It's a shame because it is a really cool looking razor.

#bourbonandpole

Yeah I got that. When I read that it was evident that particular blade didn’t work. What I was questioning was why sell the razor because a certain blade didn’t work in it. I’m not familiar with the razor and didn’t know it used a certain type of blade that’s no longer available or at least extremely hard to find.
Yep, it was from that time when some makers wanted a proprietary blade which kills a cool razor now if you can't modify etc a blade. Sorry, here's the back story, I had used ones that were Personna's but sold on the Bay as Carpet blades. Everyone said I need to try these Pathology but didn't want to spend the money as they looked identical and also were Personna's packaged the same. Turns out they are the same as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunate and tired of it sitting in a drawer. I like odd bird razors but ones I can actually use from time to time rather than sitting in a drawer. (y)

I think the Durham boils down to shave angle, I haven’t used either of my Durham safety razor style razors but I’ve really enjoyed the double edge straight razor with guard...provided I lay it flat against face. I know the pathology blades are used for frozen sectioning and similar tasks, all of which are done in a fillet style approach with little to no angle. I tried to used the Duplex with the stropping attachment that is said to allow you to mimic traditional straight razors and I didn’t care for it.

‘The good news Dave, you can now send your very cool Durham razor to the bay with a few new blades and fetch top dollar. ...the go buy MORE STUFF!

I think the Durham boils down to shave angle, I haven’t used either of my Durham safety razor style razors but I’ve really enjoyed the double edge straight razor with guard...provided I lay it flat against face. I know the pathology blades are used for frozen sectioning and similar tasks, all of which are done in a fillet style approach with little to no angle. I tried to used the Duplex with the stropping attachment that is said to allow you to mimic traditional straight razors and I didn’t care for it.

‘The good news Dave, you can now send your very cool Durham razor to the bay with a few new blades and fetch top dollar. ...the go buy MORE STUFF!
Thanks Chris

Love that bamboo SV handle! Classy!

Guess that Williams 3017 is over already...nice try Dave...nice try... 😜

Joining Sam @woodpusher (Sorta) in a Williams killing. Mine is a Vintage with a few uses already but going Fluffy style with a 1508.5 alla @Maryland998 I think he's onto something I may be able to commit to and finish. Time will tell
Love that bamboo SV handle! Classy!

Guess that Williams 3017 is over already...nice try Dave...nice try... 😜
Thanks Chris and I NEVER said I was doing a 3017 ;)

Vintage Williams 1508.5
Friday May 29, 2020
Razor: Gillette Big Fellow
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Vintage Williams
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Citrus Toner
Aftershave 2: Aqua Velva
Fragrance: Acqua Di Gio Profumo

@Bill in Oneida loaned me his Big Fellow razor...............................................Oh my goodness this thing is sweat and shaves like a dream. I'll be watching for a good deal on one of these for sure. I couldn't decide on color or black & white photo......Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200529_062100930.jpgIMG_20200529_062100930 (1).jpg

That looks like an awesome razor! I have been looking at open combs recently to see if there is one that I like. Nice shave Dave!

I'll be watching for a good deal on one of these for sure.
You might be watching for a while. I've seen some really poor examples of the Big Fellow on the bay for some outrageous prices. If you ever do find one for a halfway decent price...you need to scoop it up...it won't last long. Glad you enjoyed your ride with a truly historic razor.

Back