The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

I just reflected on days gone by and what life was like back then when this was new, What was it like to work in the Williams soap company's plant mixing it and what the worker ate while on his lunch break. How long was his lunch break and did he get profit sharing back then. Did he use this soap to shave or another brand and didn't let hos employer know for fear of losing his job. Did he even shave or did he sport a full beard and laugh as he mixed the soap up thinking of the people cutting themselves as they scraped the hair from their faces while it lined his pockets and provided living for him and his family. Hmmmmmm was the worker a male or could it have been a female that entered the work force and wanted equal opportunity to do the same work men could. Did she know she was making less than her male working counterparts. Did she know that MANY years later men would be using this soap and she would have paved the way for women to have more equality and opportunities......................................I just hope they know I'm enjoying my cup of coffee after shaving with it. Oh the coffee, I hope the guy that planted the coff............................................. ;)

Thursday May 28, 2020
2020 Shave # 163 ( 570 Consecutive Shave Days )
Razor: Durham/German 37 Slant
Blade: Personna Pathology/ASCO Orange (2)
Brush: SV 2.0 Bamboo
Soap: SV Opuntia
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Citrus Toner
Aftershave 2: SV Opuntia
Fragrance: Acqua D Gio Parfumo

So I was looking forward to today's shave and a soap with a nice scent as well as getting my Durham razor for a spin with some Personna Pathology blades from @CBLindsay Got all lathered up and the 1st few strokes told me immediately that these Personna's are no different than the Personna Carpet Blades I got originally. No way I could shave the way they were tugging. I appreciate Chris sending them so I could now know now. Probably send my 2 Durham razors to the Bay. Shame as this one is cool looking and I was hoping to find a orkable blade. Just not worth the face feel. I switched after those initial strokes to the German 37 Slant and had a stellar shave ending in feeling great and smelling better! Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200527_221325737.jpg

That really sucks Dave. I saw that you pulled out the Durham and had the Pathology Blades and was hoping that it would be a go. But alas, you revealed that those blades do not stand up to muster. I guess the Durham is one of those razors that really is just a relic. Not sure what I am going to do with mine.

Nice save anyway...and I am sure you smell great!

#bourbonandpole

Definitely the blade. Tugged at whisker, pulling it from skin rather than cutting much like a Tiger or Graham Field blade. At least that was my experience.
The problem was the blade but you’re going to sell the razor? :unsure:

The problem was the blade but you’re going to sell the razor? :unsure:
I don't think there are blades out there that work for this razor anymore. It's not a typical DE blade. I have some New Old Stock blades for the Durham...but they just degraded too much.

#bourbonandpole

I don't think there are blades out there that work for this razor anymore. It's not a typical DE blade. I have some New Old Stock blades for the Durham...but they just degraded too much.

#bourbonandpole
Ah! Context... Good. Now I get it. When I read it, what it was saying seemed along the lines of “This shave soap burned my skin when I used it, therefore I’m going to sell the brush I lathered with”.

I guess it was worth a shot, but since those blades were meant to only be used on body parts removed from said body they don’t need to be too comfortable.

Back