The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Dear Member of the Hoi Polloi:

That description, though not based in fact in this instance, may well be apt given that my patron Saint is Scrooge McDuck. I only had one shave so far with my Vector and it was a bit rough. I have not yet returned. So the answer is literally true and correct--I have one use on the blade. To quote Douglas MacArthur, a true member of the aristocracy, I shall return.

Best Regards,
Hifalutin Glenn
I prefer am ha'aretz 😜

The scent descriptions from the soap maker tells me absolutely nothing! I get what they were trying to do...but the only thing I really got from it is that it was designed by some French Dude. Like I am going to know who that guy is. And who is that guy? I did a quick search and there isn't a ton out there on the guy. Can we make this a where's Waldo thing? Where in the world is Yann!

Sorry..I kind of went on a weird Tangent there. But hey..Chameleon Scent sounds good to me. By the way...what does a Chameleon smell like?

Body Odor: Chameleons do not possess any odor as such but smell like rotten meat when they wipe their jaws against tree branches exuding a foul-smelling, waxy material to attract prey. Moreover, the chameleons excrete white colored poop which smells like human urine to some extent.

Well...what do ya know

How many shaves do you get from a single blade?
I did 21 or so shaves in a Schick injector with a Proline. Maybe could have done more, but I guess I got bored and impatient and wanted to try another blade or razor. That's how it usually goes with me, I want to try something new as opposed to getting a full usage out of a blade. I once went 56 consecutive shaves on a Gold Dollar straight with only stropping on leather and linen. Again. I got bored with using the same razor.

Friday March 27, 2020
2020 Shave # 92 ( 508 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Razorock Lupo
Blade: Shark SS (3)
Brush: Shavemac Ebonite 2-Band Silvertip
Soap: Zingari Man - The Blacksmith
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
Aftershave 2: Sweet Comb Chicago
Fragrance: BVLGARI Man in Black Essence

1st shave with the Zingari Man - The Blacksmith. Here's what it says on their site :

The scent is inspired by Bvlgari Man in Black and it smells pretty spot on. Bvlgari describes it as a Neo Oriental. This scent has a lot going on. Its dark but not heavy, sweet, warm, hints of florals and spices. This will be in the popular Sego soap base.

Scent notes: Vibrant spices, Ambery Rum, Tuberose flower, Iris Concrete, Leather Accord, Benzoin, Tonka Bean, Guaiac Wood

I pretty much get exactly what they describe although I wish it was stronger and more to the darker side which is what I expected with the 3 scent description on the tub (Amber,Leather and Spices). I definitely smell it but wish it was more pronounced. Regardless, still glad I got this one. The Lupo continues to please me and has 1st place in my DE razors without a doubt. The Shark SS has been smooth but on shave 3 doesn't appear to be as sharp anymore at least for me. Thinking about pitching it to try some more blades in this razor.

Have a safe and fun day Cadre !!!!
IMG_20200327_062225878.jpg

Awesome shave Dave! That's a nice looking razor and brush, and the soap sounds pretty interesting. Is there a soap that has a similar scent profile that you like a little more?

Awesome shave Dave! That's a nice looking razor and brush, and the soap sounds pretty interesting. Is there a soap that has a similar scent profile that you like a little more?
Thanks Pat, I don't now of any others that are supposed to mimic Man in Black and I enjoy this one but I definitely have other scents I prefer. I lean more to darker leather and spice type scents. This has the leather, spice but more light and slightly floral.

Dave...that scent description seems to match your brush! I know that sounds weird...but in my mind it does! That scent smells like a winner.

Saturday March 28, 2020
2020 Shave # 93 ( 509 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: 3D Printed TNNSER
Blade: Gem (3)
Brush: Wolf Whisker Black Wolf
Soap: CBL Cigar Shop Indian
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
Aftershave 2: Penhaligon's Sartorial
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Sartorial EdT

Well I acquire a 3D print TNNSER razor thru a friend of a friend. Wrong hardware has the center humped just a tad which made it slightly rough but still a good shave with no issues. I'll just grind the bolt head or find the proper 1/2 height nut so I can use the proper bolt that I have. Overall it was a great shave , amazing closeness with zero drama. It tells me how good the Gem blades are in the right razor. I may need to look hard at the Blackland Sabre Level #1 or #2 and see how they work for me at some point. Have a Stellar Day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200327_215627262.jpg

Nice post Dave! Looks like a winner of a shave with the new razor, great soap, and awesome looking brush!
You have a stellar day also Dave! And the Wolf Whiskers Brush is a looker!
Love the brush and the soap. The razor....
I’ve seen those razors around ... pretty cool.
Good times Dave glad you got one made. You said it was pretty skippy.
It would shave better if it was red. 😎
Thanks Gentleman, no choice on the razor color. Beggars can't be choosers 😎

Back