The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Friday March 20, 2020
2020 Shave # 824 ( 501 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Gratiot Krect Spiral Curve Slant
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Graydog Quilt
Soap: GD Mallard Kulfi
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
Aftershave 2: Aqua Velva
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Bayolea

Today's shave was a mixed bag of good and ugly...........Everything started off well with my Graydog brush whipping up a glorious lather of Grooming Department Mallard Kulfi. The shave with the Krect was going great as well with a GSB. By the 3rd pass lather my face felt like it was warming/tingling which continued to increase until it was on fire. Took 20 minutes after cleaning off suds with a cool water rinse to normalize but I can still feel a slight burn now 30 minutes later and after applying some LNHC Post Shave Elixir, Aqua Velva and Bayolea. Guess this GD soap will need to go in trade or a pif and as a company, "They are Dead to me". 4 different soaps I've tried from them that all produced amazing lathers but burn me every time. While I was cleaning up and shook the water out of the brush, the knot flung into the sink. @Graydog Steve warned me that using a waterproof silicone to set the knot has never been a success for him. I told him I've done a few and no issues. He's right. Maybe it's the wood it doesn't adhere well with but I had a goopy mess I was trying to ensure I didn't get on the gorgeous brush handle. Not sure if I saved the knot or if it got some on it as silicone is a bear to get off things. I'll check after it dries so I don't spread the silicone further as it was all sticky still. I'll reset it with an epoxy now that I know this knot is a winner for me. On the positive side I am smooooooooth faced and smell good.
IMG_20200320_060657763.jpg
IMG_20200320_053702690.jpg

Sorry to hear about the soap and brush Dave. Hopefully the knot is salvageable and all it requires is to be re-set. As for the soap, I feel your pain. My wife got me a sampler pack of soaps and all of them burned my face. Luckily they weren't an expensive brand, but I really liked their scents. I wonder if it is the fragrance or type of EO they use?

Sorry to hear about the soap and brush Dave. Hopefully the knot is salvageable and all it requires is to be re-set. As for the soap, I feel your pain. My wife got me a sampler pack of soaps and all of them burned my face. Luckily they weren't an expensive brand, but I really liked their scents. I wonder if it is the fragrance or type of EO they use?
I reached out to him before to help me isolate what it could be and he was less than helpful. Offered to buy it back which was nice, but said he uses too many things to know what it could be and treated his ingredients like a "State Secret". Is what it is. Amazing lather but a no go from here out for me. Not a big deal on the knot. I wanted a temporary set in case I didn't like the knot. I think it'll be fine but if not, it's only $9 for another and I'll use a more permanent method now. LOVE the handle too much !!!

A bit late to the party, but bummer on the Dart. Hope you keep it around a bit to see if it behaves better next time!
Thanks Chris, Actually the shave with it was enough that I know it will sit too much. Put on a BST for what I payed and it sold in 6 minutes...................Shipping it today

Last edited:
Wow Dave! It's a calamity of errors this morning. I hope you don't have to go to work this morning, because I fear the worst for you! 🤪 But damn it! You sure do smell good! Hope the day brings you much joy and happiness!

Back