The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Dang Dave! Maybe it’s a good thing you have to stay inside today...who knows what else might happen!

Guess this GD soap will need to go in trade or a pif and as a company, "They are Dead to me". 4 different soaps I've tried from them that all produced amazing lathers but burn me every time. While I was cleaning up and shook the water out of the brush, the knot flung into the sink.

So can I conclude that you won't be ordering any Grooming Dept soap during the drop scheduled for later today? You hit the Trifecta with the Dart experience added in. I have Mallard Kulfi and used it the other day. Good soap but not worth getting facial burn (which I personally do not get from that soap). As I am sure you remember, we both had a reaction to Henri et Victoria and I have not gone back to that well for any other H&V soap. That is the only time I have ever suffered facial burn from a soap. So sayonara to Grooming Dept for you.

I set a Maggards SHD knot in a new Elite amber handle the other day using silicone. If it loosens I will follow your lead and use epoxy.

So can I conclude that you won't be ordering any Grooming Dept soap during the drop scheduled for later today? You hit the Trifecta with the Dart experience added in. I have Mallard Kulfi and used it the other day. Good soap but not worth getting facial burn (which I personally do not get from that soap). As I am sure you remember, we both had a reaction to Henri et Victoria and I have not gone back to that well for any other H&V soap. That is the only time I have ever suffered facial burn from a soap. So sayonara to Grooming Dept for you.

I set a Maggards SHD knot in a new Elite amber handle the other day using silicone. If it loosens I will follow your lead and use epoxy.
I used silicone for mu minion as well as my Rubberset 400 with no issues. I can only assume the wood doesn't like it (y)

Friday March 20, 2020
2020 Shave # 824 ( 501 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Gratiot Krect Spiral Curve Slant
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Graydog Quilt
Soap: GD Mallard Kulfi
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
Aftershave 2: Aqua Velva
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Bayolea

Today's shave was a mixed bag of good and ugly...........Everything started off well with my Graydog brush whipping up a glorious lather of Grooming Department Mallard Kulfi. The shave with the Krect was going great as well with a GSB. By the 3rd pass lather my face felt like it was warming/tingling which continued to increase until it was on fire. Took 20 minutes after cleaning off suds with a cool water rinse to normalize but I can still feel a slight burn now 30 minutes later and after applying some LNHC Post Shave Elixir, Aqua Velva and Bayolea. Guess this GD soap will need to go in trade or a pif and as a company, "They are Dead to me". 4 different soaps I've tried from them that all produced amazing lathers but burn me every time. While I was cleaning up and shook the water out of the brush, the knot flung into the sink. @Graydog Steve warned me that using a waterproof silicone to set the knot has never been a success for him. I told him I've done a few and no issues. He's right. Maybe it's the wood it doesn't adhere well with but I had a goopy mess I was trying to ensure I didn't get on the gorgeous brush handle. Not sure if I saved the knot or if it got some on it as silicone is a bear to get off things. I'll check after it dries so I don't spread the silicone further as it was all sticky still. I'll reset it with an epoxy now that I know this knot is a winner for me. On the positive side I am smooooooooth faced and smell good.
View attachment 19076
View attachment 19075
I charge extra for removable knots :)
The same thing happened to me a year or so ago and I told myself then don't do it anymore..but noooooooo someone just had to have it that way :)😉
Dave if you want you can send it back and I can fix it for you.

I charge extra for removable knots :)
The same thing happened to me a year or so ago and I told myself then don't do it anymore..but noooooooo someone just had to have it that way :)😉
Dave if you want you can send it back and I can fix it for you.
No need Bruce Steve and if I wasn't clear to all, This was MY fault 😂 I'll sort it out as I have some epoxy in the shop. She will be fixed and used for sure as I LOVE it :cool:

Busy working with others and getting all our members set up with zoom app to hold our meetings remotely so I'm inside but busy ruining things 😂😂
Good stuff! A lot of our small groups have been doing the same. Our 20+ student junior high even all met over Zoom Wednesday night for a lesson before splitting off into smaller video groups. It’s a handy bit of software!

While I was cleaning up and shook the water out of the brush, the knot flung into the sink.
Bummer about the knot Dave. I had this happen on a Wild West Brushworks brush a few months ago. Derek told me I could send it back and he would fix it, but I never got around to it. Any chance you might want to do a video when you fix yours? Maybe if I see you do it I’ll be able to stumble through it 😂😂😂

Busy Catch up post
Saturday March 21, 2020
2020 Shave # 85 ( 502 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Rockwell 6s Plate 5
Blade: ????
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express
Soap: Ethos Dragonsbeard
Aftershave 2: Ethos Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash
Fragrance: Nuit D'Issey Noir Argent
IMG_20200320_204158627.jpg
Sunday March 22, 2020
2020 Shave # 86 ( 503 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Occam Hiram Plate 3
Blade: Feather Super
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft Silvertip
Soap: CBL Pineapple Cilantro Banana
Aftershave 2: Clubman Citrus Musk
IMG_20200321_213108140.jpg

Back