The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Hair on the back of my neck was getting to me so a shave was in order. I gotta get a better hand held mirror. Didn't even know I did it until the Humphrey's application but must have slid the razor in a spot and have a 1 inch stripe. But neck feels better. Dragon's Pub soap used with Stirling Boar brush. Game Changer .84 did the swiping.
IMG_20200306_143439262.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Dave, another thing I forgot to mention, and I don't know if you do this already, is I'll lather up for pre-shave. Then I'll let it sit as I strop my razor, pick out an aftershave and cologne, etc. I also think that helps rehydrate my face a little bit and helps soften my whiskers. Just thought I would share that too as I feel it helps me.

Hey Dave, another thing I forgot to mention, and I don't know if you do this already, is I'll lather up for pre-shave. Then I'll let it sit as I strop my razor, pick out an aftershave and cologne, etc. I also think that helps rehydrate my face a little bit and helps soften my whiskers. Just thought I would share that too as I feel it helps me.
Makes sense but I think if you did a video shave and posted it regularly I would get it better ;)

Dave tries to lure another into the VLOG section............

Saturday March 7, 2020
2020 Shave # 71 ( 488 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Wosty Pipe Razor
Blade: ^^^^^
Brush: Paladin 26mm Vesuvius Chief
Soap: PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
Aftershave 2: Nivea 2 into 1 Splash
Fragrance: TBD

Went with another 2 pass shave after some stropping. 2nd pass was attempted ATG and most areas were done that way with a hybrid in a few. 3rd clean up pass with the Vector and I'm blood free (amazing how better it goes when not filming 🤪 Have a GREAT Day and Weekend Cadre !!!!!
IMG_20200306_213112038.jpg

Makes sense but I think if you did a video shave and posted it regularly I would get it better ;)

Dave tries to lure another into the VLOG section............

Dave, I can't even take a good "Shave of the Day" photo. I don't think that would change with a shave video!

No, honestly I have been waiting for my wife's gremlin to use up its ninth life so I can get my shave den back. Once that happens then I can do a shave video. If I were to try now I would have to edit out the interruptions every two minutes.

Sunday March 8, 2020
2020 Shave # 72 ( 489 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: TNNSER 3D Razor
Blade: Gem (3)
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush (Timeberwolf Knot)
Soap: Talbot - Winter Refraction
Aftershave 2: MAOL - Winter Refraction
Fragrance: Acqua Di Gio Profumo

I must have REALLY been enjoying the shave and chasing the dolphins as I was channeling my inner @GearNoir apparently and ran a 20+ minute video up while recording. I actually believe I was lost in thought as to how amazed I was by this razor. The soap was amazing scent and performance as well as the splash. Tis was just one of those shaves that everything just clicks and feels so right and good. I knew I wanted one of these razors just for the cool factor but after the shave I NEED 1 or 2 because it gives me an amazing shave with a Gem blade. Before this the G Bar was the only Gem razor that I could use and be comfortable with. This was even more comfortable for me at least. The head is bulky and it is light (18 grams with a blade installed) as it is just plastic but a GREAT shaver. Can't wait to see how the closeness of the shave lasts and to shave with it again tomorrow. Video will be in my Member Video VLOG in the VLOG section. Have a Great Day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200307_155933730.jpg

20 minute video? No, No, No...it would need to be twice as long to be considered @GearNoir style! You have probably mentioned it already...but what are the notes on that soap? It looks really interesting! Great shave Dave...and cool razor!

Scented neroli, patchouli, bergamot, guaiac wood, & vetiver

Description from the Vendor

Winter’s Refraction came to be in a very different way than scents I’ve created in the past. This was already an existing scent.

I was invited to make samples for the goodie bags handed out at the Northeast Meetup this past September. That scent was labeled “Voodoo”. At the meetup and for weeks after, I was asked if I’d consider making “Voodoo” available to everyone. Well, I really enjoyed the scent and wanted to do it, but didn’t want to call it “Voodoo” anymore. Another artisan had recently released something with a similar name, and I didn’t find the scent I had created was the right match for the existing name. So with a scent already created, I needed to build around it, which wasn’t something I’m used to doing.

I was stuck where to go with it for awhile until one of my closest friends told me simply, “It smells like a warm hug.” I knew I had my inspiration at that moment.

My mind went to a local walking trail, covered in snow, alongside a gently flowing river partially iced over. It’s a trail I’ve walked with my family many times. The sun in winter feels bright and is visually noticeable as it reflects off the snow and refracts through the ice. It’s beautiful to see when walking along the trails, and that “warm hug” that the sun offers on a crisp day combined with the icy refraction of light is what I decided to pinpoint as the new image for this scent.

So what does it smell like? You might notice a smooth blend of neroli, patchouli, and bergamot evolve to a darker, warming blend of subtle guaiac wood and vetiver. You might smell a warm hug, or you might smell something entirely different. But really, that’s my goal. Whatever your experience is, I hope it’s a pleasant one.

Monday March 9, 2020
2020 Shave # 73 ( 490 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: TNNSER 3D Razor
Blade: Gem (4)
Brush: Sorrentino Sea Foam
Soap: Mystic Waters Leather and Smoke
Aftershave 2: -----------
Fragrance: Vintage Old Spice Cologne

1st @Mystic Water is forgotten to get to way too much by me. I had some of the SLICKEST lather ever today and a great scent. Just a pleasure to use (getcha some) It gave the perfect shave to the 2nd and final use of the TNNSER 3D razor on loan to me. WHY just 2 shaves with this little guy! Because it was more then enough to let me know I AM GETTING ONE one way or another and I'm afraid if I keep it any longer I won't want to send it back to the generous donor. Also don't want anything to happen to it and want it returned promptly in the same condition I received it. BIG thanks to the owner !!! The shave was easy and smooth with NO worries about getting bit. The rigid Gem blade cut thru as expected and I got a shave that rivaled my favorite SE razor, the Vector. Is it as refined and durable as the SS Vector? No, but it delivers the goods and with a cool factor to boot. It wouldn't replace my Vector but will be a welcomed sidekick/companion to it. Have a Stellar day Cadre !!
IMG_20200308_191539372.jpg

Last edited:
Back